U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-26-2008, 09:52 AM

1 posts, read 2,917 times

Advertisements

Greetings All,

I am a 26 yr old single woman with no children looking to find a nice area to buy my first home in. I am looking to stay within the 75K-90K range, but need some ideas of some cities/counties that would have a decent price range, decent taxes and not so high crime. Any counties NOT to move to would be appreciated as well! I currently work in dunwoody, but is not a factor because i am looking for a new job anyway!

Thanks in Advance!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2008, 11:08 AM

3,479 posts, read 6,846,714 times
For 75-90K, you're not leaving yourself open to lots of "nice" areas in metro Atlanta proper.

Old 06-26-2008, 11:11 AM

7,886 posts, read 16,007,495 times
You might be better off renting for a while and saving money to allow you to raise your budget, or thinking more about a small condo. For the money you have to spend, your choices are very limited, and you might have to settle for a fixer-upper in a so-so area.

Old 06-26-2008, 11:26 AM

8,862 posts, read 16,212,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missneversettle View Post
Greetings All,

I am a 26 yr old single woman with no children looking to find a nice area to buy my first home in. I am looking to stay within the 75K-90K range, but need some ideas of some cities/counties that would have a decent price range, decent taxes and not so high crime. Any counties NOT to move to would be appreciated as well! I currently work in dunwoody, but is not a factor because i am looking for a new job anyway!

Thanks in Advance!
If you are in Dunwoody--take a look at the Chamblee area. Specifically Clairmont Hills. Nothing in your price range to buy-but you could find a rental and perhaps do a lease to own.

Try Square One Realty--Jonathan.

I do not know much/anything about them but they seem to work with people who are responsible but just don't have a lot of $.

Also, look at Tucker, Ga/DeKalb County. Not a terrible commute from Dunwoody. Cofer Park is particularly nice--older homes, safe and 'JPD' can tell you all you need to know about Tucker.

hth

I saw some nice older homes around Flowers Rd/DeKalb County--??Doraville I think--often said to be 'transitional' but the neighborhoods I looked at were safe and friendly. ??Chesnut Elementary'--something like that along Tilly Mill Rd/Peachtree Industrial.

Some good deals around Norcross/Peachtree Corners/Holcomb Bridge Rd./Gwinnett county--on the 'backside' of Dunwoody. The 'Seven' community is incredible--might try to talk to them. Cluster homes--there are new communities being built all around Norcross and you might find some sort of 'deal'.

If I can sort through my collection of brochures--just returned from a house hunting expedition all the way to Flowery Branch/Oakwood, GA--northern Gwinnett/Forsyth county--I will post what I found. You could live in those areas and probably find a house to buy--others would have to tell you what the commute is like. There are back roads--just depends on what your priorities are.

It takes some time and you just have to keep going to 'Look' but you can find what you want here.

Old 06-27-2008, 03:21 AM

100 posts, read 464,673 times
For the price range you mention, 75K-90K range, there is almost nothing to buy near where you work (Dunwoody) except some studio (efficiency or 1 BR) condos at most. I know of some condos in Dunwoody near the 90K price range. Right now, there are soo many condos on the market, you *could* pick up a deal.

If I were you and I really wanted to own something, I would check my credit to see if it is over 700 before prequalifying for a loan. Also hopefully you have been in your career for at least 2 years. Most loan officers look at that when people prequalify for a loan.

Also, I would talk to a realtor who specialized in Condos/townhomes. The unfortunate thing is condos tend not resale that well. As you know with the market slowdown, Atlanta is flooded with condos for sale. You might could get one at a very discounted price.

If you want to venture into some dicier intown neighborhoods, you would get a fixer upper. I don't recommend that unless you are very handy and can do a bit of the work yourself.

If your price range was a bit higher, say 120K, you could get a larger condo, 2 bedrooms in many areas near intown. Honestly, most anything (like a house) in the range you mention would be located in areas not deemed "safe."

If you wanted to live far out, suburbia areas for that price range, for a relatively safe area, I still believe you are most limited to condos or townhomes. Some areas in Gwinnett have modestly priced townhomes: check out Lawrenceville.

Let us know more about what you want, it might get you more feedback and good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>