Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2011, 11:18 AM

2,590 posts, read 4,531,911 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Box View Post
Much like a parent our country is indeed responsible for the distribution of resources, and laws/regulations in regards to what we can/can't do. Hence the government allowing housing/loan discrimination even still until this day has an impact on society at large.
Yet people of all stripes manage to achieve their goals and make better lives for themselves everyday.

Go figure...

Old 07-10-2011, 11:18 AM

397 posts, read 843,272 times
Quote:
Much like a parent our country is indeed responsible for the distribution of resources, and laws/regulations in regards to what we can/can't do. Hence the government allowing housing/loan discrimination even still until this day has an impact on society at large.
Find that bolded part in the Constitution. That is not a right that any official document gives us. The government's responsibility is NOT to take from those who earned the asset and give to those who have not. People have a problem looking to themselves to better their situation and take no reponsibility for their actions.

As to the underlined part, part of the reason we have problems with housing is that govermental agencies went too far to give loans to people who were unqualified financially, some minorities, some not. The notion that all citizens should be able to own a house is flawed. Some just do not have the means and/or discipline to do so and should probably spend their lives renting.

Old 07-10-2011, 11:28 AM

32,025 posts, read 36,788,671 times
Quote:
Much like a parent our country is indeed responsible for the distribution of resources ....

Yikes! That wouldn't fly even in overtly Communist countries like China.

Nothing personal, but I wonder where folks get ideas like that?

Old 07-10-2011, 11:31 AM
Box

382 posts, read 661,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTL3000 View Post
Yet people of all stripes manage to achieve their goals and make better lives for themselves everyday.

Go figure...
Yet most of them were able to blend in with White America, or came after the end of the civil rights movement.

Old 07-10-2011, 11:31 AM

1,565 posts, read 2,451,073 times

YouTube - ‪Black White Supremist Dave Chappelle Complete‬‏

Old 07-10-2011, 11:33 AM
Box

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdawk View Post
Find that bolded part in the Constitution. That is not a right that any official document gives us. The government's responsibility is NOT to take from those who earned the asset and give to those who have not. People have a problem looking to themselves to better their situation and take no reponsibility for their actions.

As to the underlined part, part of the reason we have problems with housing is that govermental agencies went too far to give loans to people who were unqualified financially, some minorities, some not. The notion that all citizens should be able to own a house is flawed. Some just do not have the means and/or discipline to do so and should probably spend their lives renting.
Does the government not allocate tax dollars to certain neighborhoods? Also, I wasn't even only talking about subprime loans but also FHA loans, especially after the end of WWII which contributed to the growth of the suburbs, and white flight from the cities.

Old 07-10-2011, 11:34 AM
Box

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Yikes! That wouldn't fly even in overtly Communist countries like China.

Nothing personal, but I wonder where folks get ideas like that?

See my reference to FHA loans and tax allocation in my previous post.

Old 07-10-2011, 11:41 AM

2,590 posts, read 4,531,911 times
Quote:
Yet most of them were able to blend in with White America, or came after the end of the civil rights movement.
That's another problem. On the last map I looked at I didn't see a White America or a Black America. All I saw was the United States of America.

Old 07-10-2011, 11:43 AM

397 posts, read 843,272 times
Quote:
Does the government not allocate tax dollars to certain neighborhoods? Also, I wasn't even only talking about subprime loans but also FHA loans, especially after the end of WWII which contributed to the growth of the suburbs, and white flight from the cities.
The "tax dollars" are dollars someone else earned. If you or others are waiting for your portion to be taken and given to you, that's fine, but it's not a way to get ahead.

Quote:
Hence the government allowing housing/loan discrimination even still until this day has an impact on society at large.
As to mortgages, that comment of yours doesn't exactly point me back to WWII.

Old 07-10-2011, 12:05 PM

714 posts, read 813,972 times
Quote:
Oh. Dear. Lord.

This is classic. Absolutely classic. Someone should forward it to Neil Bortz. He would have a field day.

Such "thinking" is why tea partiers, Ayn Randers and others of similar persuasion are on the rise. Some kind of confrontation between them and the poster's ilk is coming. Whether it ends badly for all I dont know. But such differing views cannot co-exist forever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta