Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-28-2008, 04:06 PM

15 posts, read 61,152 times

Advertisements

I am considering accepting a job offer in the Duluth area. I would like to live in ATL but the commute would be too much. What cities in Gwinnett county or close to it would be good for a single AA woman? (By the way, I'm deciding between job offers in Maryland and GA - but I think that I will go with GA because the cost of living is cheaper) Thanks!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2008, 11:46 AM

100 posts, read 485,616 times
AA woman means African American? - Most of Gwinnett would be fine for you if that is the case. Most any Gwinnett city would be fine: Lilburn, Snellville, Duluth or Lawrenceville.

If I were single, I would prefer to live more intown like ITP (inside the perimeter, I-285) because the further you go out, the more families are concentrated and there are fewer single people. I would consider living more intown areas such as Tucker, Stone Mountain or Decatur if I were single.

Good luck and let us know what you decide.

Old 06-29-2008, 12:12 PM

15 posts, read 61,152 times
Default Gwinnett County-not impressed

Thanks for your help. Oh, AA does mean African American I guess I should have spelled it out. You mentioned living in Decatur. How long would a commute be from Decatur to Duluth?

This move is a big decision. I would be moving from the midwest where there are no jobs. I have an offer in Duluth and one in Maryland. I've heard so many positive things about the Atlanta area. I recently visited the Duluth area and I was not impressed. The area had a RURAL feel to me. Here in the midwest, I currently live in a suburb that has a cosmopolitan feel. There are a lot of conveniences around like wine bars, Whole Foods, a Starbucks every 1/2 a mile, people walking/biking everywhere, etc... Overall, as I drove around, I was not impressed with Gwinnett County (the parts I saw). So I want to move to a city that would be a little more cosmopolitan but with a reasonable commute to Duluth.

Old 06-29-2008, 01:10 PM

193 posts, read 693,013 times
Duluth is a dump and Gwinnett county is a cesspool

Old 06-29-2008, 02:33 PM

77 posts, read 290,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by serenity911 View Post
Thanks for your help. Oh, AA does mean African American I guess I should have spelled it out. You mentioned living in Decatur. How long would a commute be from Decatur to Duluth?

This move is a big decision. I would be moving from the midwest where there are no jobs. I have an offer in Duluth and one in Maryland. I've heard so many positive things about the Atlanta area. I recently visited the Duluth area and I was not impressed. The area had a RURAL feel to me. Here in the midwest, I currently live in a suburb that has a cosmopolitan feel. There are a lot of conveniences around like wine bars, Whole Foods, a Starbucks every 1/2 a mile, people walking/biking everywhere, etc... Overall, as I drove around, I was not impressed with Gwinnett County (the parts I saw). So I want to move to a city that would be a little more cosmopolitan but with a reasonable commute to Duluth.
Not sure what part of Duluth you saw, but we do have a Whole Foods (State Bridge Rd.) and several Starbucks. However, you really won't see anybody biking or walking in this area unless they are immigrants without a car, and there's nothing the least bit rural about this part of the county. There are areas where sidewalks and bike paths are being retrofitted, but it's sort of too little, too late because the area has sprawled so much. I'm not really sure there's anything like you describe (more cosmopolitan) in Gwinnett County - closest thing I've seen is the Peachtree Corners area near the Forum shopping center. People who live close by do seem to bike/walk there some to shop or eat.

Old 06-29-2008, 07:07 PM

612 posts, read 2,778,365 times
I agree about Peachtree Corners. I just started working there and am completely impressed by the area.

BTW, I live in Snellville but it's probably not for someone single.

Old 06-29-2008, 10:11 PM

23,462 posts, read 44,074,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by serenity911 View Post
You mentioned living in Decatur. How long would a commute be from Decatur to Duluth?

I recently visited the Duluth area and I was not impressed. The area had a RURAL feel to me.
Decatur to Duluth? You would lose your mind very quickly.

What part of Duluth were you in that it felt rural? Duluth is quite suburban, but rural? Not IMO.

Frankly, if you're looking for 'urban sophistication', I don't think Gwinnett is the place for you. The vibe there is decidedly suburban...malls, strip centers and subdivisions are what comprise the landscape there.
It's not to say that there aren't any appealing areas in Duluth...there are. But when you describe your 'likes' with regards to a place to live, I'm hard pressed to think of a place in Gwinnett that fits.

Old 06-30-2008, 10:05 AM
asr

7 posts, read 19,895 times
I also work in Gwinnett county, in Lilburn, but I live in the North Atlanta/Chamblee area. I am about five minutes inside the perimeter, so I can enjoy the benefits of being ITP, like Lenox Mall is about 10 minutes away, going out in Midtown, about 20 minutes. Work is about 20 minutes away, but its not a bad drive at all.

Old 06-30-2008, 10:11 AM

23,462 posts, read 44,074,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asr View Post
I also work in Gwinnett county, in Lilburn, but I live in the North Atlanta/Chamblee area. I am about five minutes inside the perimeter, so I can enjoy the benefits of being ITP, like Lenox Mall is about 10 minutes away, going out in Midtown, about 20 minutes. Work is about 20 minutes away, but its not a bad drive at all.
A lot of posters in this forum (myself included) are pegging Chamblee to be the next hot community...it's just a matter of time
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta