Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2008, 01:22 PM

63 posts, read 250,854 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

I'm starting a job this fall in the Cumberland Mall area, and I'm looking to buy a house before then. I've been limiting my consideration to areas in Cobb County, due to the commute times, property taxes, and local government.

About me: I'm a single guy in my 20s. I'm conservative and not into the bar scene. I've been living outside of Athens in a rural area for the past three years and have loved the relaxed, country feel. I would like a detached house in a quiet neighborhood. I would prefer an area without burdensome restrictive covenants. I would prefer a house with character, in contrast to most of the bland tract housing that's available. I'll be working long hours, which motivates me to seek as short a commute as possible, but that might also give me flexibility in commute times. If not for the traffic, I'd probably be looking in Paulding or another outer county. My budget is $200k.

My first thought was Smyrna, which seems to be on the up-and-up. I lived in Smyrna last summer, so I know the traffic issues. It took me almost 30 minutes just to get from the covered bridge area to my job in the Cumberland area, but that was during rush hours. My problems with Smyrna are that most of the housing is out of my price range and most of the older housing stock in my price range is uninspiring.

I've been considering the areas to the west, e.g., in zip codes 30060 and 30008, but I am concerned as to whether the area is trending upward or downward.

Powder Springs is a possibility. I like the character of the town, and it looks like PS has been making many Smyrna-like improvements in the past few years. I've found several houses I like out there too. However, I've been seeing some complaints about teen crime and changing racial balance in the area, and I wonder what the long-term trends will be. Is the crime really any worse than in Smyrna? I know Smyrna has some sketchy areas.
Also, how is the commute to Cumberland from Powder Springs and the Macland area?

Mableton has also been mentioned as being on the up-and-up, but I wonder how the crime compares. I've heard the traffic from Mableton can be relatively bad too. I've shopped several times at the horrible Wal-Mart at Floyd and E/W Conn. and that gives me a less-than-favorable impression of Austell/Mableton.

Marietta city seems to have some good housing options, but I've heard that the neighborhoods are variable. I think the overall crime there is worse than anywhere else I've mentioned.

I haven't really considered Kennesaw, Acworth, or Woodstock because I hear the north/south traffic is horrible.

Any suggestions? I'm leaning seriously towards Powder Springs, but don't want to get locked into a horrendous commute or a serious crime problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2008, 03:16 PM

3,478 posts, read 7,255,485 times
Powder Springs would be a much longer commute for you to the Cumberland area. If you are traveling during rush time, it could take you 30-45 minutes to get from Powder Springs to Cumberland, easily. I just wouldn't do it.

My opinion - get a nice older home in Smyrna. If you can get a good deal on it and then make some good renovations, coupled with the pretty good Smyrna market conditions, you will be in good shape to sell the home down the road if needed.

Old 06-29-2008, 06:57 PM

3,615 posts, read 7,777,875 times
Crime in Mableton wouldn't be much different than Smyrna, except for the transients from Bankhead, the Six Flags area, etc, and some trailer parks in the area. They create most of the crime, but those areas are getting cleaned up as well. Smyrna's far enough away from that and the only poor parts of Smyrna are North of Windy Hill, and a couple apartment complexes here and there but it's more of an eyesore than particularly unsafe. You may want to check out Queen's Mill Rd, Clay Rd and South Gordon Rd in Mableton for some larger lots that are on the up-and-up. Since you're a guy, I wouldn't worry about crime much as long as you aren't looking for trouble. Just stay at least a mile from six flags at night and don't go wandering into Bankhead Courts or other low-income areas.

Smyrna is already up and established, not on the up-and-up. It's a completely different city than it was 5 years ago, from what I'm told (I've only been here since '05). It will continue to go up since the schools will continue to improve and Cumberland and other factors. However, since it's one of the most expensive parts of the metro, and the land value is so high, even a quarter acre is very expensive, so even older homes are expensive since they usually sit on more land. To live in Smyrna or even the Eastern parts of Mableton, which are established as well, you're going to have to buy a tiny home without much character to get under $200k.. It's most likely going to be really ugly. One thing you can do in a situation like that is choose a place with potential that you can give character relatively easily, and leave yourself enough breathing room to save up to do something to it (such as adding dormers or gables, or turning that unslightly carport into a garage). Some neighborhoods that come to mind with houses in your range are Creatwood Trail, Campbell Rd (on the Atlanta Rd side), Bank St, Hurt Rd. I would stay at least one block South of Windy Hill Rd. Hurt Rd may be the closest to what you are looking for, but of all I mentioned, it will also have the longest commute.

I would also look around Bolton Rd in Atlanta, right across the Chattahoochee River bridge heading South on Atlanta Rd. You'll get more land for the money than in Smyrna and that area has the potential of becoming like Moore's Mill eventually. Just don't get too close to Bankhead Highway (until the projects are gone there) and don't consider anything more than a half-mile down Hollywood Rd. You're best bet for return on investment is right around James Jackson Parkway (which is S. Cobb Drive in Cobb County) or areas East.

If you are looking for a good compromise, you can go for Powder Springs. However, you're going to trade-off a cheaper home with more land for a longer commute. It'll probably take twice as long as commuting from Floyd Rd. Other than that, it's solid.

Last edited by netdragon; 06-29-2008 at 07:11 PM..

Old 06-29-2008, 10:03 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,885,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by techugagrad View Post
Powder Springs is a possibility. I like the character of the town, and it looks like PS has been making many Smyrna-like improvements in the past few years. I've found several houses I like out there too. However, I've been seeing some complaints about teen crime and changing racial balance in the area, and I wonder what the long-term trends will be. Is the crime really any worse than in Smyrna? I know Smyrna has some sketchy areas.
Also, how is the commute to Cumberland from Powder Springs and the Macland area?
I live in Powder Springs and as wxjay and netdragon have already mentioned, if you didn't like the commute from the covered bridge area, you probably wouldn't like it from Powder Springs as it's longer. As a matter of fact, many people in Powder Springs who want to avoid using the busier roads use the back roads via "the bridge" area to get to Cumberland, but they know that avoiding the congestion almost means a longer commute.

In terms of crime: I've lived in the Powder Springs area for 14+ years now. I've seen it go downhill in some areas and some of the teen gang problems you've read may even have come from some of my posts. It's not unique to Powder Springs - it's happening in many suburban areas throughout Atlanta as the city of Atlanta tears down the housing projects and the people who lived there are being given special vouchers that pay part of their rent for a home - so they're moving into the suburbs. Many are hard working people looking to get back on their feet, but there are many as well who have multiple kids who seem to always be in trouble with the law and/or gangs - and yes, Powder Springs has seen a share of them move into this area.

The bad news is again, it's happening in a lot of places. The good news is that Powder Springs isn't THAT bad compared to other areas, and, this year the local police are taking a much harder stance on it due to resident complaints. They have more of a zero-tolerance for stuff, and some of the bad apples have either moved away or literally been kicked out of the voucher homes, so SOME at least of the problems are gone or leaving. They are also in the process of cracking down on slum lords who go by the guise of "investors" who buy up cheap homes and rent them out to just anyone, too - a RAPIDLY growing problem throughout the metro area.

Homes here are generally more reasonable in Powder Springs than in some of the other metro areas, and you can still get a 1960s 3BR/2BA brick ranch with a good yard for in the $160k to $180k range, easy. I even saw one down the street go for the $129k range though admittedly, it was SMALL and needed some work. The town square area doesn't really have much to talk about other than a few restaurants and antique stores, and a farmer's market on Thursdays, but you're not far from a large variety of shopping areas from more blue collar stuff in Hiram to upper-end stuff at the Avenue's of West Cobb just north of here.

So price wise, you could probably find what you want here. You'd also get a semi-rural (but growing) feel, and a big yard, plus area conveniences for shopping, as well as access to the Silver Comet Trail. You just have to accept the fact that your commute will be in the 40+ minute range unless you work off-hours.

Long post I know, but one more option if you don't mind a condo....

In Vinings, just down the street from Cumberland, is a complex called "Essex House". They used to be apartments, but were converted to condos, and while I normally don't like conversions, these are older and brick, and more solidly built than others. You can get a 2BR/2BA condo there in the $170 range more or less, and it's literally right down the street from Cumberland, as well as across the road from the Chattahochee River Park area with the river, walking trails, etc.

Worth checking out. Their association page is Essex House - Home Page (http://www.essexhousecondos.com/outside_home.asp - broken link) and there are listings for sale now.

Old 06-30-2008, 12:40 AM

11,334 posts, read 26,086,242 times
Quote:
Mableton has also been mentioned as being on the up-and-up, but I wonder how the crime compares. I've heard the traffic from Mableton can be relatively bad too. I've shopped several times at the horrible Wal-Mart at Floyd and E/W Conn. and that gives me a less-than-favorable impression of Austell/Mableton.
Ewww... The ghetto Walmart. Poorly maintained, too many people, too few checkout lines. Not worth it. On the very few times we visit Walmart these days, we bypass that one and go to the new one on the E/W Connector Powder at Springs Road, or else visit the one over on Cobb Parkway close to the Big Chicken.

The northern part of Mableton is fine in terms of crime, but I guess it gets a bit worse as you go south towards six flags and east towards Atlanta and the river. We've not had any issues in out area, but we're virtually in Smyrna.

Old 06-30-2008, 06:10 AM

3,615 posts, read 7,777,875 times
If you are willing to get a condo for your first place (which from your post I imagine you aren't), then besides the ones atlantagreg mentioned, there are some older condos on Spring Rd (between Campbell Rd and Atlanta Rd), and additionally some on Atlanta Rd (The Palms, Creatwood Circle, etc) that are in your price range. The Palms and the one a little down from there are conversions. Creatwood Circle and the ones off Spring Rd were built as condos. There are also some older condos off Spring Hill Parkway in your price range in Vinings (well, technically Spring Hill). Vinings Run, I believe.

Old 06-30-2008, 06:22 AM

3,478 posts, read 7,255,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantagreg30127 View Post
I
Long post I know, but one more option if you don't mind a condo....

In Vinings, just down the street from Cumberland, is a complex called "Essex House". They used to be apartments, but were converted to condos, and while I normally don't like conversions, these are older and brick, and more solidly built than others. You can get a 2BR/2BA condo there in the $170 range more or less, and it's literally right down the street from Cumberland, as well as across the road from the Chattahochee River Park area with the river, walking trails, etc.

Worth checking out. Their association page is Essex House - Home Page (http://www.essexhousecondos.com/outside_home.asp - broken link) and there are listings for sale now.
As a resident of Essex House and also a maintainer of their website, feel free to contact me if you have questions about this complex. Of late, our units have been selling quickly, which is a good thing in this market. As atlantagreg mentioned, the place is very convenient and also they are reasonably priced for the area.

Old 06-30-2008, 12:14 PM

I appreciate all the suggestions so far (indeed, numerous friends are telling me I ought to get a condo), but I'd prefer the freedom and privacy of a detached house. Moreover, I'd like to get away from homeowners' associations too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by netdragon View Post
Crime in Mableton wouldn't be much different than Smyrna, except for the transients from Bankhead, the Six Flags area, etc, and some trailer parks in the area. They create most of the crime, but those areas are getting cleaned up as well. Smyrna's far enough away from that and the only poor parts of Smyrna are North of Windy Hill, and a couple apartment complexes here and there but it's more of an eyesore than particularly unsafe. You may want to check out Queen's Mill Rd, Clay Rd and South Gordon Rd in Mableton for some larger lots that are on the up-and-up. Since you're a guy, I wouldn't worry about crime much as long as you aren't looking for trouble. Just stay at least a mile from six flags at night and don't go wandering into Bankhead Courts or other low-income areas.
That's pretty much what I figured. I had been avoiding considering areas south of Veterans Memorial, so there may be some opportunities there. I wonder how the commute would compare to west Cobb though (my first choice currently), since Mableton is further south of the Cumberland area. Then again, if in the future I ever take a job in Midtown/Downtown, Mableton would be far more convenient.

I lived at Ga. Tech and in Homepark for four years, so I'm familiar with the crime in that area. Surely these areas I am considering are much better in that regard, but I am concerned about property crimes and neighborhood feel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by netdragon View Post
Smyrna is already up and established, not on the up-and-up. It's a completely different city than it was 5 years ago, from what I'm told (I've only been here since '05). It will continue to go up since the schools will continue to improve and Cumberland and other factors. However, since it's one of the most expensive parts of the metro, and the land value is so high, even a quarter acre is very expensive, so even older homes are expensive since they usually sit on more land. To live in Smyrna or even the Eastern parts of Mableton, which are established as well, you're going to have to buy a tiny home without much character to get under $200k.. It's most likely going to be really ugly. One thing you can do in a situation like that is choose a place with potential that you can give character relatively easily, and leave yourself enough breathing room to save up to do something to it (such as adding dormers or gables, or turning that unslightly carport into a garage). Some neighborhoods that come to mind with houses in your range are Creatwood Trail, Campbell Rd (on the Atlanta Rd side), Bank St, Hurt Rd. I would stay at least one block South of Windy Hill Rd. Hurt Rd may be the closest to what you are looking for, but of all I mentioned, it will also have the longest commute.

I would also look around Bolton Rd in Atlanta, right across the Chattahoochee River bridge heading South on Atlanta Rd. You'll get more land for the money than in Smyrna and that area has the potential of becoming like Moore's Mill eventually. Just don't get too close to Bankhead Highway (until the projects are gone there) and don't consider anything more than a half-mile down Hollywood Rd. You're best bet for return on investment is right around James Jackson Parkway (which is S. Cobb Drive in Cobb County) or areas East.
I agree completely about the Bolton Rd. area -- it has great potential. As you suggest, just a little ways down Hollywood Rd. is a scary area. Then again, I would never have thought Perry Blvd. and the areas near Tech west of Northside would have been fixed up from looking at them eight years ago. I'm not seriously considering Atlanta/Fulton though due to the incompetent government and high taxes.

Old 06-30-2008, 12:54 PM

Quote:
I live in Powder Springs and as wxjay and netdragon have already mentioned, if you didn't like the commute from the covered bridge area, you probably wouldn't like it from Powder Springs as it's longer. As a matter of fact, many people in Powder Springs who want to avoid using the busier roads use the back roads via "the bridge" area to get to Cumberland, but they know that avoiding the congestion almost means a longer commute.
I'm open to a longer commute if needed, but I want to get the best possible balance. My employer is flexible as to my work schedule, so I could probably avoid one or both of the peak times. Commuting up/down Spring and Concord, I see most of the traffic is east of South Cobb Dr., so I wonder if adding the mileage out to Powder Springs would add significant congestion to my commute.... In other words, if I'm stuck looking at houses no closer than Hurt Rd., would a few miles to the west add substantially to my commute?

Quote:
The bad news is again, it's happening in a lot of places. The good news is that Powder Springs isn't THAT bad compared to other areas, and, this year the local police are taking a much harder stance on it due to resident complaints. They have more of a zero-tolerance for stuff, and some of the bad apples have either moved away or literally been kicked out of the voucher homes, so SOME at least of the problems are gone or leaving. They are also in the process of cracking down on slum lords who go by the guise of "investors" who buy up cheap homes and rent them out to just anyone, too - a RAPIDLY growing problem throughout the metro area.
Would you say that the crime in Powder Springs is no worse than Smyrna, Mableton, or Marietta (30008)? I've read your other posts on the topic, and I just think it is unfortunate that there's a connection between sidewalks and crime. The town walkability and trail access is a pretty cool attribute.

As far as property values go, I'll assume that the present "crime" factor is already priced in. It's good to know that the police are taking a strong stance - perhaps the long term trend could be positive?

Quote:
So price wise, you could probably find what you want here. You'd also get a semi-rural (but growing) feel, and a big yard, plus area conveniences for shopping, as well as access to the Silver Comet Trail. You just have to accept the fact that your commute will be in the 40+ minute range unless you work off-hours.
Aside from the commute, it all sounds good. As I said, I was already looking at about 30 minutes from the covered bridge area, so I suppose I'm more concerned about the incremental commute beyond that and whether Mableton and northwest Cobb (i.e., Acworth and Kennesaw) would be better or worse. I'm thinking north Cobb would be worse than Powder Springs unless I were right on the freeway. I'm also thinking I'd have to get into Smyrna 30080 or Vinings to get a substantially better commute than 30 minutes, but as I've discussed the housing options there aren't exactly what I'm seeking.

Old 06-30-2008, 01:22 PM

1,501 posts, read 5,103,587 times
Quote:
I appreciate all the suggestions so far (indeed, numerous friends are telling me I ought to get a condo), but I'd prefer the freedom and privacy of a detached house. Moreover, I'd like to get away from homeowners' associations too.
I know that others may have a different opinion on this issue, but I would be wary of a home without an HOA in metro Atlanta. Neighborhoods without one have a tendency to go downhill very fast around here, possibly due to the transient nature of the population here and the fact that people don't live in the same house for 30 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta