Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2015, 02:08 PM

42 posts, read 47,798 times

Advertisements

I know this is an old thread, but there continue to be responses posted, so I'm going to add mine. :-)

I've been in the market some time to purchase a home. I was initially interested in West End due to it's it's historic stock of homes and it's proximity to downtown. The homes in West End are in high demand, and every home I liked, so did many others and had several offers.

I work at Delta Headquarters so I started driving around the area. I found homes that had the old world charm but had been renovated. When I told people I was considering moving to College Park I heard everything from why, to you better get a gun. The home I'm purchasing is in Historic College Park close to Main St. It's a nice area with a small town feel. I have driven and walked the area at various times, and never felt unsafe. The area reminds of the city of Decatur which people jump to defend and quickly say to not get confused with Decatur. Same principal. The City of College Park, does not represent all of College Park. And just as with any of other area of town, there are good parts and bad. Just as all of Decatur doesn't make 30030 bad. All of College Park doesn't make 30337 and parts of 30349 bad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2016, 10:07 AM

1,979 posts, read 2,369,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atl2chi View Post
I know this is an old thread, but there continue to be responses posted, so I'm going to add mine. :-)

I've been in the market some time to purchase a home. I was initially interested in West End due to it's it's historic stock of homes and it's proximity to downtown. The homes in West End are in high demand, and every home I liked, so did many others and had several offers.

I work at Delta Headquarters so I started driving around the area. I found homes that had the old world charm but had been renovated. When I told people I was considering moving to College Park I heard everything from why, to you better get a gun. The home I'm purchasing is in Historic College Park close to Main St. It's a nice area with a small town feel. I have driven and walked the area at various times, and never felt unsafe. The area reminds of the city of Decatur which people jump to defend and quickly say to not get confused with Decatur. Same principal. The City of College Park, does not represent all of College Park. And just as with any of other area of town, there are good parts and bad. Just as all of Decatur doesn't make 30030 bad. All of College Park doesn't make 30337 and parts of 30349 bad.

Glad you took the time to look around. Can't beat the commute and the housing stock in that area. Are you on the Woodward side or on the other side of the train tracks? I live in East Point a couple of blocks away from Woodward.

Old 01-05-2016, 10:33 AM

9,830 posts, read 7,170,791 times
All I know is, you can buy a home in College Park for so cheap right now, that it seems like it would make any downsides of the area worth it, especially since you can easily get to Midtown and Decatur from there via good MARTA access.

People are irrationally scared of the south side. Crime is everywhere. Tons in Gwinnett. Tons in Alpharetta where the criminals know people have money and nice belongings and nice cars everywhere.

I predict good things in the future for East Point/College Park/Hapeville.

Old 01-05-2016, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tryska View Post
Glad you took the time to look around. Can't beat the commute and the housing stock in that area. Are you on the Woodward side or on the other side of the train tracks? I live in East Point a couple of blocks away from Woodward.
I'm on the other side of the tracks. About a 10 min walk from Woodward.

Old 01-05-2016, 08:21 PM

5,242 posts, read 6,201,228 times
Hey neighbor!

2.5 years and loving it. As a renter, thanks for being skkrd Atlanta! Loving these prices...

Old 01-11-2016, 04:05 PM

1,979 posts, read 2,369,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atl2chi View Post
I'm on the other side of the tracks. About a 10 min walk from Woodward.

Welcome to the neighborhood!

Old 01-11-2016, 04:50 PM

31,993 posts, read 36,521,236 times
I have always liked College Park. When the "back to the city" movement was getting underway back in the 70s, we knew several young couples who settled in CP. Beautiful area.

Old 01-12-2016, 05:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tryska View Post
Welcome to the neighborhood!
Thanks Tryska! Closing soon. Can't wait.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta