Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2008, 08:49 AM

111 posts, read 532,085 times

Advertisements

My in-laws came down to visit my wife and I for the weekend. They got the bug and are starting to make plans to move to the Atlanta metro-area. The only problem is that they have somewhat specific tastes so I figured I'd ask everyone if they had any ideas.

[For the realtors, I only need ideas (subdivisions, sample listings, neighborhoods to consider) not a sales pitch. When they get down here, they'll make the final decision on who will/won't represent them]

They saw some homes at Country Lakes in Fayetteville, and the Lakes at Cedar Grove in Fairburn.

They want a house with at least 4 bedrooms, a basement, but they want two master suites since my grandparents will be living with them too. I haven't seen too many builders that provide that as an option. Also, there should be a lake on the property or subdivision.

Prices....I'd say they could go as high as $450k - $500k (if it was perfect).

I'm beginning to think it would be easier for them to buy land with a lake or stream and just get their house built since they aren't in a rush. Any advice would be helpful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2008, 10:37 AM

269 posts, read 1,069,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoufromNewYork View Post
My in-laws came down to visit my wife and I for the weekend. They got the bug and are starting to make plans to move to the Atlanta metro-area. The only problem is that they have somewhat specific tastes so I figured I'd ask everyone if they had any ideas.

[For the realtors, I only need ideas (subdivisions, sample listings, neighborhoods to consider) not a sales pitch. When they get down here, they'll make the final decision on who will/won't represent them]

They saw some homes at Country Lakes in Fayetteville, and the Lakes at Cedar Grove in Fairburn.

They want a house with at least 4 bedrooms, a basement, but they want two master suites since my grandparents will be living with them too. I haven't seen too many builders that provide that as an option. Also, there should be a lake on the property or subdivision.

I'm beginning to think it would be easier for them to buy land with a lake or stream and just get their house built since they aren't in a rush. Any advice would be helpful.
I think Peachtree City and Fayetteville might be great places to start. If they want some land, you might look the other direction towards Alpharetta, or even Gainesville.

Old 07-01-2008, 10:48 AM

193 posts, read 692,796 times
Midtown

Old 07-01-2008, 03:35 PM

111 posts, read 532,085 times
Where in Midtown, Martarider?

MasonBarge, thank you for the suggestions. I thought Peacthree City/Fayetteville would be too far out of the way, but there indeed need to be sacrifices.

With all of the building going on, I hope someone builds something somewhere that they'd enjoy because I really doubt they'd choose to build from the ground up.

Old 07-01-2008, 05:53 PM

21,870 posts, read 15,079,969 times
Quote:

MasonBarge, thank you for the suggestions. I thought Peacthree City/Fayetteville would be too far out of the way, but there indeed need to be sacrifices.

With all of the building going on, I hope someone builds something somewhere that they'd enjoy because I really doubt they'd choose to build from the ground up.
There is nothing in Midtown that would fit your needs/requirements/wishes.

Old 07-01-2008, 08:22 PM

23,438 posts, read 44,044,945 times
Quote:
Methinks this was supposed to be funny, and wasn't.

Old 07-01-2008, 08:29 PM

23,438 posts, read 44,044,945 times
Quote:

I haven't seen this in house, either...usually two master suites are associated with a condo or apartment that is designed for a roommate situation.

I think you're right, otherwise you might drive yourself crazy trying to find this very particular list of requirements.
Any particular reason that they're focused on the southside? Is that where you live?

Old 07-01-2008, 08:44 PM

1,178 posts, read 2,836,669 times
Try the Summergrove neighborhood in Newnan, right next to Peachtree City. There are some homes now on the lake in that price range along with the golf course. Also pretty good shopping, safe area, and near I 85 to get into downtown easily. Much more for your house than Peachtree City. there are MANY empty nesters in the area with the lake houses and they would fit right in. Many are here to be near children and seems like I am meeting a lot of Florida folks, too.

Old 07-02-2008, 07:21 AM

1 posts, read 2,822 times
Default relocation solution

Lou,
You need a REALTOR. Atlanta has an abundance of properties to fit your needs. The solution is very easy. Moderator cut: Please no advertising, especially not for your own personal business. Please use DM, and refer to CD ToS (Terms of Service), rules and guidelines!

Last edited by MB2; 07-02-2008 at 10:42 AM..

Old 07-02-2008, 01:14 PM

269 posts, read 1,069,872 times
Quote:

Well, I figured that would be a good location since they'd been looking in the area. Unless you want something in the multimillion dollar range, you're going to need to get a bit outside the city to get large lots and/or water. Plus there seem to be quite a few retirees down there.

Alpharetta has a lot of horse farms. Roswell is very nice and has some developments on the river, although these are somewhat pricey.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta