Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-30-2008, 10:19 PM

12 posts, read 26,630 times

Advertisements

I'm taking my kid to a concert next month at Lakewood. I'd like a hotel close enough to take a cab to and from the show safely. I know Lakewood isn't in the best area...
We're staying 2 days so I'd like to be able to shoot downtown easily as well for touristy stuff.
Something by the airport? How about public transport to and fro....
I've been to a bunch of shows there and never worry usually but I'm taking my kid with me and this is the first time I've stayed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2008, 06:05 AM

66 posts, read 432,531 times
I personally wouldn't stay anywhere close to the venue because it is in a terrible part of town. The airport would be a good place to stay, but there isn't any public transportation that I know of from the airport to the venue.

Old 07-01-2008, 06:25 AM

I guess cab service would be OK from the airport eh? What about the Hilton Airport? I didn't know Lakewood was that close to the airport... it shows the Hilton 6 miles or so from the Ampitheater. Is that far enough out?
I guess I could spring extra $ for a longer cab ride from downtown...
Catching a cab safely back after the show would be easy I wonder?

I'm worried a bit with my kid coming. Otherwise it would be no big deal

Old 07-01-2008, 06:30 AM

826 posts, read 3,121,520 times
My company frequently puts out of town guests at the Airport Marriott, I highly recommend this hotel. You can get downtown from the airport via Marta, in regards to the Amphitheater, its not in a great area. Maybe you could rent a compact car the day of the concert? I bet you could get a compact car for less then a cab ride. I would be concerned about getting a cab after the concert was over.

Old 07-01-2008, 06:30 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,298,453 times
It'd be easy to get a cab to the concert, but it might be nearly impossible to get one after the concert.

MARTA has a shuttle from the Lakewood/Fort McPherson station to the amphitheater. The Lakewood MARTA sation is between downtown and the airport, so you could stay in either place with no problem. If you stay by the airport, make sure there is a shuttle bus from the hotel to the airport (any hotel near the airport should have a shutle unless it's a total fleabag dump.)

Old 07-01-2008, 06:57 AM

69 posts, read 292,871 times
I would stay downtown if I were you. Hilton or Marriot as suggested would be good options - maybe also look into the Omni? That is right at CNN Center - and close to World of Coke, GA Aquarium, and more touristy stuff.

Downtown is also closer to Lakewood than the airport is - maybe 3-4 miles. So shouldn't be a bad cab ride - but again may be hard to get one after the concert.

Old 07-01-2008, 07:22 AM

23,466 posts, read 44,100,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
It'd be easy to get a cab to the concert, but it might be nearly impossible to get one after the concert.

MARTA has a shuttle from the Lakewood/Fort McPherson station to the amphitheater. The Lakewood MARTA sation is between downtown and the airport, so you could stay in either place with no problem. If you stay by the airport, make sure there is a shuttle bus from the hotel to the airport (any hotel near the airport should have a shutle unless it's a total fleabag dump.)
This is how most people I know get to Lakewood...I used it years ago when I took my girls to see the Spice Girls...people felt safe enough about it to walk the route with their kids.
My suggestion: Get a room at Lenox Square (the Lenox MARTA station is on one side of the Mall, the Buckhead station on the other). It will be about a half hour ride to Lakewood, and you'll have access to plenty of shopping and restaurants.

Old 07-01-2008, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
This is how most people I know get to Lakewood...I used it years ago when I took my girls to see the Spice Girls...people felt safe enough about it to walk the route with their kids.
My suggestion: Get a room at Lenox Square (the Lenox MARTA station is on one side of the Mall, the Buckhead station on the other). It will be about a half hour ride to Lakewood, and you'll have access to plenty of shopping and restaurants.
This sounds like it might be OK. I just worry about if we leave early...
Don't know that the shuttle would be there to get us back to the station.
And by station you guys are talking the train right?
I saw Doubletree Buckhead hotel for OK price....
Buckhead station to Lakewood station and the the shuttle to and from the theater would be safe with a kid?

Old 07-01-2008, 08:33 PM

66 posts, read 432,531 times
Can I ask why you don't want to drive to the venue? There is a lot of traffic getting there, but I can give you directions from the north to take a backroad where you would avoid all of the traffic. You will have to drive through an unpleasant part of town, but it is totally worth it because you can zip in and out of the venue.

Old 07-01-2008, 09:02 PM

I will most likely just drive. I was opting for safe public transit in order to enjoy a few beers. But it's not important....
Since I'm going to just drive.... what's a nice (not too expensive) place to stay that is close to the Coke Museum and the Aquarium and places to eat/shop?
I found the Doubltree in Buckhead for under $90/night.
I'd love a back-way in... thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: