U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-04-2008, 12:47 PM

20 posts, read 102,952 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know anything about a Stone Mountain neighborhood called Dial Heights, located off Northern Avenue right outside 285? It looks like a pretty nice subdivision ('50s ranches with updates), but I've heard so many bad things about Stone Mountain... The location seems good (5-minute drive to MARTA and just a few minutes from downtown Decatur). 3/2s are running in the $150s-$160s.

I'm really not sure what to think about the area. The streets inside the neighborhood seem fine, and I saw quite a few people taking walks, sitting on their porches, etc., but there are a couple of sketchy boarded-up apartment buildings off Northern that aren't too far down the road.

Any help is greatly appreciated! Have a happy Fourth of July!
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2008, 03:41 PM

Also, does anyone know if those apartment complexes on Northern Avenue and North Decatur are going to be torn down? If so, what is going to be built on those sites? Thanks!

Old 07-09-2008, 07:49 AM

514 posts, read 1,472,721 times
Mazo, I can't really give you any definitive information about that area other than I have jogged through there many times and it does seem like a safe place... at least inside the subdivison. I've lived across that area inside 285 for almost 6 years and like it here. It is very convenient to many things. Did you notice a HUGE tract of land cleared on Northern Ave. for a new subdivision? Obviously, with the downturn in housing, they aren't rushing to finish it. But somebody thinks that area is ripe for a new sub.

Would I be wary of living there? Probably not, but you should check out more information to be sure.

edit... I didn't even realize that was the border of Stone Mountain. That's as close to the south of Stone Mountain you can go.

Old 07-10-2008, 06:34 AM

13 posts, read 40,056 times
The location is great - close to downtown Decatur, Highlands, Downtown, etc. Why not check out the neighborhood at different times of the day and see what you think? $150 - $160 for a 3/2 is a bit pricey, but I guess it depends on the market statistics - I think property in that area will hold its value.

My biggest problem with Dekalb count is the school system. If my memory serves me right, however, there's a magnet elementary school with an excellent reputation in Scottdale, which is very close to you.

Old 07-10-2008, 10:30 AM

Well, my husband and I are renting a place in Lantern Ridge in Scottdale, which is right on the other side of Northern Avenue/285 from Dial Heights. I've enjoyed living there a lot, although we'd never buy in that subdivision (too much highway noise, and the single-family homes are way too expensive). I didn't even know about those vacant apartment complexes until last week, even though I've lived less than half a mile away from them since last October. Of course, 285 sort of acts as a buffer. (We don't, however, have any sort of "buffer" from several other shady neighborhoods next to Lantern Ridge, and I haven't noticed any crime in our subdivision yet... knock on wood.)

We've driven by Dial Heights few different times and haven't noticed anything too out-of-the-ordinary. I would like to know what's planned for those apartment complexes before buying anything there, though.

Old 07-10-2008, 10:55 AM

23,120 posts, read 37,243,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazokunomiko View Post
Well, my husband and I are renting a place in Lantern Ridge in Scottdale, which is right on the other side of Northern Avenue/285 from Dial Heights. I've enjoyed living there a lot, although we'd never buy in that subdivision (too much highway noise, and the single-family homes are way too expensive). I didn't even know about those vacant apartment complexes until last week, even though I've lived less than half a mile away from them since last October. Of course, 285 sort of acts as a buffer. (We don't, however, have any sort of "buffer" from several other shady neighborhoods next to Lantern Ridge, and I haven't noticed any crime in our subdivision yet... knock on wood.)

We've driven by Dial Heights few different times and haven't noticed anything too out-of-the-ordinary. I would like to know what's planned for those apartment complexes before buying anything there, though.
Absolutely right. IMO, Dial Heights could go either way.

Old 07-10-2008, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Hello neighbor When we moved to LR I thought the highway noise was going to really bother us, but it hasn't been nearly as loud as I thought and/or I've gotten used to it. However, if I was in a townhome near the highway I think I'd go nuts. There was a push to get federal funds to erect a sound proof barrier and Cynthia McKinney was trying to help us before she got the boot. As much as I'd like the sound proofing, I don't miss her.

To be honest, I think I'd feel safer in LR than Dial Heights, but I do understand the financial aspect.

Old 07-13-2008, 09:18 AM

Hey there! Yeah, Lantern Ridge does seem to have a safer vibe about it. I really like the sidewalks, friendly neighbors, landscaping, etc. The houses are adorable, but I think the most affordable one I've seen on the MLS is $275,000 or so. I'm sure it's well worth it if you have the money. The location is great, and the houses have really nice features -- love the super-high vaulted ceilings.

(And yeah, we are in one of the townhomes right next to 285. They are very cute, tons of space, and great for rentals, but I just wouldn't feel comfortable buying one of them.)

So, I'm not sure what to think about Dial Heights! We actually have an offer down on a house in East Point right now, but I wanted to have some backup houses ready just in case the deal falls through. Maybe we'll just stick to that area.

Thanks for all the help!

Old 07-13-2008, 06:41 PM

Quote:
The houses are adorable, but I think the most affordable one I've seen on the MLS is $275,000 or so. I'm sure it's well worth it if you have the money. The location is great, and the houses have really nice features -- love the super-high vaulted ceilings.
Well, we certainly love our home. It's just a little sad watching the prices drop. That $275.5k home would have sold for over $300 (easily) two years ago. Looking at the online realty services, those folks have really set up their home beautifully for showing as well.

Good luck with your searching!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta