Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2012, 07:22 PM

5,185 posts, read 7,567,701 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miami305Kid View Post
Are the poor parts of Atlanta really that bad? Has anyone had expierences in Atlanta they haven't seen anyone else?
Atlanta has the best ghettos in the country. Its one of the number one places where the hustlers and thugs all have SWAG. its a sight to see. I love it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2012, 07:27 PM

5,185 posts, read 7,567,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedudewiththeplan View Post
I was in some of the bad neighborhoods in the past. Been through Bankhead, Lakewood, Adamsville, East Lake, Kirkwood, Mechanicsville, Adair Park, Pittsburg, English Avenue, ect... Several times in the early 90's on field trips we were told to get under our seats due to automatic gunfire going off.
the 90s huh? I think it was really rough everywhere during those times. Early 90s was crazy because crack was really high profile at that time. started mid 80s but to me really hit its climax in 90s.

Old 04-13-2012, 01:23 AM

4,790 posts, read 6,875,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-SawDude View Post
Okay. I admit I'm intrigued, but it's hard to believe all of that filming could be real. Why would a robber allow a videotape to survive a carjacking/robbery, for example?

What's the story on this Curtis Snow guy?
he's a former gangster, the film purports to be his actual exploits, but after the film was released, the police had questions about a lot of the scenes due to some crimes reported, curtis snow went and talked to the police, and they now say that they were 'told by their lawyer not to reveal which parts are true and which aren't'. curtis snow has said the drugs in the movie are not real drugs. so, basically, i look at it this way— he's not in jail, the police left him alone so it must be pretty much all faked. i don't doubt that he grew up there, but the exploits are faked.

and @equinox, what are you nuts? i drive through vine city, mechanicsville, whatever, it's not all that bad. you drive down chestnut street in the middle of the day and tell me how that works out for you... wouldn't touch that place with a ten foot pole. actually, i take that back, i am interested in projects to revitalize the area while supporting the longtime residents— but i wouldn't go in there without a bodyguard. place is scarier than anywhere in NYC, boston, DC, etc.

Old 04-13-2012, 12:24 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,086,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmarc View Post
Is bankhead georgia the hood
Well, two of the more troublesome places in the Bankhead area (Bowen Homes and Bankhead Courts) have been razed to the ground, so part of what was celebrated as "the hood" probably ain't there anymore.

Old 04-13-2012, 02:42 PM

3 posts, read 8,206 times
I'm 30 and was born and raised in Atlanta. There was a time in the not-so-distant past where Atlanta had more housing-projects per-capita than any other city in the United States. And Atlanta was the murder-capital several times from the 70s through 90s.

However, all of that began to change in the late 90s and I'd say Atlanta is a relateively safe city now...compared to what it once was. Yes, there are some neighborhoods that should be avoided but that's true of EVERY city. It's very simple; just don't go into bad neighborhoods unless you absolutely have to (yes, I know crime can happen anywhere).

Old 04-13-2012, 02:46 PM

23,726 posts, read 24,866,786 times
Quote:
Atlanta is a relateively safe city now...compared to what it once was
I've had people tell stories of how Kirkwood has 10-15 years ago. Its amazing just how far that neighborhood has came.

Old 04-13-2012, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantm3 View Post
you drive down chestnut street in the middle of the day and tell me how that works out for you...
are you referring to James P. Brawley?

Old 04-13-2012, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
I've had people tell stories of how Kirkwood has 10-15 years ago. Its amazing just how far that neighborhood has came.
Yeah, east Atlanta as a whole was just bananas. Kirkwood, Edgewood, Eastlake...it was just a crime-ridden dump. And it bled over into Decatur, too. I really wish I had had a camcorder when I was little to record it and show it to people today to see the shock on their faces.

Old 04-13-2012, 05:46 PM

4,790 posts, read 6,875,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by King_Bean View Post
are you referring to James P. Brawley?
yes

Old 04-13-2012, 06:25 PM

188 posts, read 297,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyiMetro View Post
Atlanta has the best ghettos in the country. Its one of the number one places where the hustlers and thugs all have SWAG. its a sight to see. I love it.
Uh.... no.

When an old white guy at a gas station tries to sell you "milk" in a paper bag and insists to the point that he blocks you from getting into your car, that isn't SWAG.

When a black twenty-something at a gas station tries to sell you his "tight hiphop CD" with a hand-written CD case cover for $20, that isn't SWAG.

It's ghetto in the most awful kind of way. These were just some of my experiences in Atlanta in my first few months of living here until I learned not to stop for gas in certain parts of town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta