Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2008, 10:34 AM

210 posts, read 1,139,257 times

Advertisements

Are the poor parts of Atlanta really that bad? Has anyone had expierences in Atlanta they haven't seen anyone else?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2008, 02:13 PM

880 posts, read 2,861,026 times
Well, I'll put it this way, there is a neighborhood called Pittsburg just south of downtown (McDaniel Street) that a few years ago was ranked as the most dangerous in the county. So yeah, I would day it has its issues.

Old 07-05-2008, 04:21 PM

Has anyone ever been to Bankhead?

Last edited by Miami305Kid; 07-05-2008 at 04:21 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 07-05-2008, 04:28 PM

263 posts, read 1,132,256 times
most of the major hoods have been torn down

a few of the remaining projects are going to be town down this year I heard

they are no worse that liberty city in miami or any other city in america

Old 07-05-2008, 04:43 PM

263 posts, read 1,132,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miami305Kid View Post
I can agree with you on that. Liberty City in Miami is crazy dangerous. I just thought cause ATL's crime rate is considered high it would have more "hoods". I know East Atlanta can get ghetto and south of downtown.

By numbers Atlanta might have high crime but its all about how many hoods are within the city limits. Most of the projects that are in Atlanta are in the city limits.Thats why the city is tearing down the projects and moving those people out the city limits so it will bring the numbers of crimes down for the city as a whole. The perception of crime in Atlanta are from those projects. A lot of cities have just as much crime than Atlanta but the projects in those cities are outside the city limits so they arent included in the yearly crime reports. Its makes the whole city look bad when it really isnt as bad as people make it seem especially if u live anywhere north of midtown. Kinda like DC, the hoods in DC are in SE and NE. A lot of the crime in DC has moved to PG county (suburb of DC) so when the crime numbers come out for the year the numbers for DC might have dropped because they moved a lot of those thugs to PG county but the problems are still there but they moved to problems 3 miles outside of the DC line so those numbers arent included in the crime stats.

I recommend people looking at the FBI Uniform Crime Report, they will give u the stats of the whole area verses the city limits

The crime in Atlanta will drop once the rest of those projects are torn down, the problems will still be in the metro area as a whole but they will not reflect the stats of the city of atlanta

Last edited by chip1980; 07-05-2008 at 04:53 PM..

Old 07-05-2008, 05:56 PM

51 posts, read 240,304 times
Where exactly in Bankhead are you talking about? Like alot of areas in Atlanta, things can change from one street to the next. I know a guy who bought and rehabbed a house in Bankhead right around the corner from that infamous shooting. He had one "issue" and it was because he didn't take pre-caution. He says his street is quiet and he loves it. One street over, not so much. My house is in Grove Park, which is still considered to be part of Bankhead. I have had zero problems and neither has my neighbor. The people on the other side of the park have issues with theft on a regular basis.

With respect to the housing complexes being torn down, it is my understanding that the residents have filed suit to stop the demolition, so that should hold up any migration for a few years.

Old 07-05-2008, 08:29 PM

51 posts, read 240,304 times
If you are considering moving there, I'd say check things out carefully but don't be put off by the reputation. If you are going to be a Ga Tech student, you might also want to consider Home Park. It is in the area north of Tech but south of Atlantic Station.

As far as the area itself, my understanding is that it was a white working-class community until the 1950s. Apparently it was one of the first areas to be desegregated (sp?) in Atlanta, but it remained nice for awhile after that. I don't know when it changed direction. I firmly believe that it is in the early stages of turning around.

I do know that a number of my neighbors moved there in the mid-1960's (before I was even born!). There are a few homeowners whose parents were among the original "pioneers" who moved there in the 50's.

Old 07-06-2008, 02:14 PM

880 posts, read 2,861,026 times
I was in some of the bad neighborhoods in the past. Been through Bankhead, Lakewood, Adamsville, East Lake, Kirkwood, Mechanicsville, Adair Park, Pittsburg, English Avenue, ect... Several times in the early 90's on field trips we were told to get under our seats due to automatic gunfire going off.

Old 07-06-2008, 04:42 PM

Default woah gunfire

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedudewiththeplan View Post
I was in some of the bad neighborhoods in the past. Been through Bankhead, Lakewood, Adamsville, East Lake, Kirkwood, Mechanicsville, Adair Park, Pittsburg, English Avenue, ect... Several times in the early 90's on field trips we were told to get under our seats due to automatic gunfire going off.
Having grown up in realtively wealthy suburbs its intresting to see how other people have different expierences growing up. Do you think those areas are better now than in the 90's?

Old 07-07-2008, 10:43 AM

9,067 posts, read 15,786,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miami305Kid View Post

Having grown up in realtively wealthy suburbs its intresting to see how other people have different expierences growing up. Do you think those areas are better now than in the 90's?
Look at it this way.The East Lake/Kirkwood area is expensive now.Especially since they tore down the project called East lake Meadows.Now its a new luxury apartment area that has public and private golf course running through it next to where they hold the PGA tournament every year.Mechanicsville has also been transformed to a place where it is now desirable to live.Town homes line the street that have a nice boulevard with a median of trees, flowers and benches for relaxing.Bankhead is a mixed bag.It has some great old neighborhoods with beautiful wooded parks and several new homes that have been put up.It is a very long road/highway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta