Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2010, 07:14 PM

1 posts, read 3,461 times

Advertisements

I bought a house in Jonesboro Georgia, I close Jan. 18, 2010. I am very excited about the purchase of my home. I pray all I have just read about Clayton County is not true for me. After reading all of the above threads I am thinking twice about not going through with the closing. I will have to pray over all I have read and ask God to guide me and keep me safe. My address according to my gas company is Hampton GA. But other utilities show it being Jonesboro GA. I guess if I go through the closing I will see what address the deed will have on it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2010, 08:59 PM

42 posts, read 98,785 times
With all due respect, praying is not going to change these facts about Clayton County. I don't think people are kidding around when they give such details about how badly the place is declining. It might be wise to look up more about where the house is situated etc before you go through with closing just to be sure. Once it's under your name, if you hate the neighborhood, it's going to take a lot to get out again.

Old 01-27-2010, 01:27 PM

1 posts, read 3,370 times
Jose are you renting or buying you home in Rex (this could make all the difference). I live in Ellenwood, Rex is my neighbor. I have lived in Georgia for 18 years, I feel that an area is just an area, PEOPLE, and their Integrity makes the different. I believe once you get to Georgia, you will decide if you want to stay in a specific area or move (especially if you are only renting). Let me know.

Old 01-27-2010, 02:25 PM

1,176 posts, read 2,688,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrthestar View Post
i bought a house in jonesboro georgia, i close jan. 18, 2010. I am very excited about the purchase of my home. I pray all i have just read about clayton county is not true for me. After reading all of the above threads i am thinking twice about not going through with the closing. I will have to pray over all i have read and ask god to guide me and keep me safe. My address according to my gas company is hampton ga. But other utilities show it being jonesboro ga. I guess if i go through the closing i will see what address the deed will have on it.
do not do it!!!!!!

Old 01-30-2010, 09:51 PM

1 posts, read 3,331 times
You should be excited, Hampton is a nice area. Quite frankly, I think the only reason people bash this county boils down to the general race relations in Atlanta. Areas that have predominantly minority populations in this city get a bad reputation. simple as that. As for the demographics of the county, Clayton is a very diverse county. Thats the fact. I have met people from all over the nation and world who have moved here. For those who are looking for a more homogeneous population than your right, this place isn't for you. And because of this, a lot of the positive things in this County are overlooked. (Which actually is a good thing for the residents because they do not have to worry about the overpopulation of the area)For example Lake Spivey has multi-million dollar homes and an amazing golf course, yet no one talks about this. Also, Clayton has the best water system in Georgia. While the rest of Atlanta was scrambling to find a few drops from Lake Lanier, residents of Clayton where comfortably using more water then the average Georgia resident during the drought. Gallery | Clayton County builds an oasis | ajc.com
The proximity to Atlanta is awesome. On a good day it takes only about 20 minutes from Jonesboro. And the amenities of this County are rich. From historical sites such as Stately Oaks and Ashley Oaks, Parks such as Clayton County International Park, Reynolds Nature Preserve, Jesters Creek Walking trail, to an up and coming University, Clayton State University and for those who say the education is not the best,this is coming from someone who graduated from Clayton County schools during the decline period and attended UGA. I had friends who graduated alongside of me and attended places such as Emory, Yale, Tech, and more! Alll of us from Clayton, but that didn't stop us from getting into the best schools! So its not the schools nor the actual education, but it is the School board and the legislation. The school board, they are fools. that is all I will say about that. As far as legislation goes, stupid programs hinder the counties progress. One example is the CRCT scores. One of the reasons Clayton's Crct scores are so low is because they factor students who are in special education programs scores with students in the regular population! That's unfair! And it makes the rest of the students look like idiots. It is not the teachers or the curriculum. It is the leadership. But even despite that you have kids who are excelling. As far as crime goes. There is just as much crime as there is anywhere else. As for my family and I (and thanks to God) we have lived here safely with for more than 14 years without an incident. Part of the reason they say crime is so bad out here is because it is what the media portrays. It ignores the positive things that go on in the county and focuses on the bad. So for those who are not familiar with the area will develop negative perception of the county. So for everybody who wishes to bash Clayton and is not a current resident BACK OFF! Just as you are glad not to be here we are glad that you are not as well. I know for sure I do not want such negative people living in my county. Also, for future reference, listen to the people who live in Clayton NOW. Who, shop, work, play and live in there at the moment. Everyone is privy to an opinion, but I believe the best comes from the experiences of those who are actually experiencing it. Its just like I can not talk about John's creek or Norcross or wherever because I have not lived there.

Old 02-03-2010, 08:56 AM

52 posts, read 226,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdkb View Post
do not do it!!!!!!

I second that. You'll be sorry. I moved out of Lovejoy with a Hampton address and it's turning into a **** hole. Sold the house last year for a lot less just to leave.

Old 01-26-2016, 01:15 PM

199 posts, read 302,982 times
North Fulton is expensive is heck man

Old 11-21-2016, 01:35 AM

2 posts, read 1,794 times
We're in Atlanta should I stay I picked Clayton county but I see it is a mess

Old 11-21-2016, 10:31 AM

33 posts, read 21,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiesha View Post
I lived in Clayton County for a few years up until about 7 years ago. At that time, I wouldn't recommend it. That was soon after the housing bubble burst and the values tanked tremendously, and appear to not have made a complete turnaround. I'm not sure if it's changed much within the past 7 years.

Old 11-21-2016, 12:13 PM

4,209 posts, read 4,747,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiesha View Post
It's no different from the other suburbs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta