Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2008, 03:02 PM

210 posts, read 1,139,408 times

Advertisements

And by normal I mean financially. Is Buckhead only for the richest of the richest or are there people who live there who are middle class as well? I think Buckhead is one of Atlanta's safest and most entertaining neighborhoods so I was wondering if it's possible for a middle class person to live there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2008, 03:25 PM

3,972 posts, read 12,659,327 times
Safest?

Anyway, in the rental housing absolutely, in ownership multi-family housing (especially older condos, but really all condos, not so much town homes or other attached housing) probably, but not so much in single family homes -- upper middle class or higher.

Also, most of the clubs have closed (or will soon) so I am not sure what you mean by entertaining. The area that use to have all the clubs/bars is going to be very upscale housing and retail.

For foot traffic type places, you need to look elsewhere.

Old 07-06-2008, 07:01 PM

23,460 posts, read 44,074,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lastminutemom View Post
Safest?

Anyway, in the rental housing absolutely, in ownership multi-family housing (especially older condos, but really all condos, not so much town homes or other attached housing) probably, but not so much in single family homes -- upper middle class or higher.

Also, most of the clubs have closed (or will soon) so I am not sure what you mean by entertaining. The area that use to have all the clubs/bars is going to be very upscale housing and retail.

For foot traffic type places, you need to look elsewhere.
lmm is quite right...while the residential neighborhoods of Buckhead are securely upper-middle to upper class, the commercial, 'multi-use' area is in a major state of upheaval...my feeling is that when the dust settles, it will indeed be as 'high-end' an area as you will find in the SE area of the US...think Worth Ave, Bal Harbour, Turtle Creek, etc.
There will be 'entertainment' there, but it won't be anything like what was there 5 years ago.

Last edited by Iconographer; 07-06-2008 at 07:56 PM..

Old 07-06-2008, 07:31 PM

308 posts, read 1,037,866 times
I agree with the other posters. I own a condo in one of the older building right smack in the middle of the re-development. There is a lot that has been bought out in addition to the "streets of Buckhead" which will really affect the transition once completed. Condos are as affordable as they ever will be right now so it might be a good time to buy there.

Old 07-06-2008, 10:36 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,880,495 times
It also depends on how you define "Buckhead", too. For instance, the area around the Lindbergh MARTA station is referred to as within the Buckhead area by some, and it's much more affordable than say, the Buckhead Triangle area or around Lenox Square. When I moved here in the mid-80s, Lindbergh was considered somewhat of a no-name area. It was in-between Midtown and the official Buckhead reference area. But since Buckhead has expanded and grown so much since that time, the defined area of it has grown as well, and some realtors even refer to Lindbergh as "South Buckhead".

Old 07-07-2008, 09:26 AM

210 posts, read 1,139,408 times
Default o

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
lmm is quite right...while the residential neighborhoods of Buckhead are securely upper-middle to upper class, the commercial, 'multi-use' area is in a major state of upheaval...my feeling is that when the dust settles, it will indeed be as 'high-end' an area as you will find in the SE area of the US...think Worth Ave, Bal Harbour, Turtle Creek, etc.
There will be 'entertainment' there, but it won't be anything like what was there 5 years ago.
why are taking away the entertainment? Don't they realize that is one of Buckhead's major appeals?

Old 07-07-2008, 09:31 AM

308 posts, read 1,037,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miami305Kid View Post
why are taking away the entertainment? Don't they realize that is one of Buckhead's major appeals?
It's all about the $$$. Tearing down the old (and recognized) institutions of the area and replacing them with high end retail and residence.

Old 07-07-2008, 09:37 AM

23,460 posts, read 44,074,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miami305Kid View Post
Locals and TPTB weren't too crazy about the kind of entertainment that had insinuated itself into the CBD.

Old 07-07-2008, 09:54 AM

11,334 posts, read 26,081,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
Locals and TPTB weren't too crazy about the kind of entertainment that had insinuated itself into the CBD.
People were having too much fun. Gotta stop that immediately.

Old 07-07-2008, 11:12 AM

269 posts, read 1,070,131 times
"Buckhead" has one rather strict definition, and another looser definition. The strict definition is rather small. I'd define it as the neighborhoods directly adjacent to the intersection of East/West Paces Ferry Road, Roswell Road, and Peachtree.

Realtors (and sometimes inhabitants) have a habit of pushing the boundaries of any desirable neighborhood name as far out as possible. There really isn't a sharp, bright-line border like there is for, say, Brookwood Hills or Ansley Park. (And even with Ansley, you will see houses advertised as "Ansley Park" that are in an adjacent neighborhood such as Piedmont Heights.)

Anyway, the smaller Buckhead, for example, is bounded on the south by West Wesley Road -- "Buckhead starts at the Cathedral (of St. Phillip)" is something I heard in a speech just a couple of days ago.

The larger Buckhead goes as far south as Brookwood Station.

Even in the strict sense, there are currently houses in Buckhead affordable by the middle class. Actually, rather than use the term "middle class", which is going to cause semantic disagreements, I'll just say that there are a fair number of 2-3 bedroom single family houses in the $500,000 range.

In the larger Buckhead area, you could get a decent smaller house in a nice neighborhood for maybe $400,000. I'd call this the upper end of "middle middle" class housing; others might disagree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta