Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What city a has both a greater national and international name recognition:Atlanta or Houston.
Atlanta 39 61.90%
Houston 24 38.10%
Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2008, 10:22 AM

415 posts, read 506,487 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
Show me where I said Austin is more influential than Houston. If you were paying attention, you would know that I ASKED YOU if you really thought Houston was more influential than Houston, and to back it up with facts. And I did that because, from my perspective as a non-Texan,
Austin has had much more of an influence on my life than Houston. I was not saying you are wrong, I was asking because the thought of Houston being more influential than Austin is very surprising.

Turns out, I've learned quite a bit about Houston. Unfortunately, what I have learned is poisoned by your highly condescending style of communication.
Well....

Quote:
What facts do you have to back this up?

In what way is Houston more influential than Austin? To name two examples, the amount of influence Austin City Limits has had on TV, and SXSW has had on Music (and in recent years, film) is massive.
The way it came off (and posts afterwards), it was as if you were saying Austin is more influential than Houston.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2008, 10:23 AM

106 posts, read 307,213 times
I'm killing myself laughing over here! Who brought Austin into the discussion? I live in Austin now and I guaran-frickin-tee-you that few people internationally are even aware of Austin and if they are it is maybe in the context of Dell.

When I go home everyone is like oh you are in Texas? What is it like in Houston? Everyone is shocked when I tell them that Houston is not the capital of Texas and that right there is name recognition.

Old 07-08-2008, 10:34 AM

5,429 posts, read 14,842,829 times
Quote:
What facts do you have to back this up?

In what way is Houston more influential than Austin? To name two examples, the amount of influence Austin City Limits has had on TV, and SXSW has had on Music (and in recent years, film) is massive.
Well, probably that it's the nation's 4th largest city after Chicago, ranks 2nd in number of Fortune 500 companies after NYC, ranks 2nd in size of the theatre district after NYC (Austin doesn't even have one), ranks 3rd or 4th for the museum district (Austin doesn't even have one), has the world's largest grouping of hospitals and medical research facilities (Texas Medical Center), has one of the world's largest ports, and is headquarters for US manned space flight (NASA).

As far as music, Houston has produced huge influences but it's rarely mentioned they're from Houston.

Oh, and Austin stole the idea from Houston of the Art Car Parade (Houston even has an Art Car Museum!)

Old 07-08-2008, 10:35 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,295,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rasta empress View Post
I'm killing myself laughing over here! Who brought Austin into the discussion? I live in Austin now and I guaran-frickin-tee-you that few people internationally are even aware of Austin and if they are it is maybe in the context of Dell.
I brought up Austin to make a point which I acknowledged from the start may or may not hold water.

Hmm, there seem to be a lot of people visiting Austin for SXSW from all over the world.

Band list, with hometowns listed:
http://2008.sxsw.com/music/showcases/alpha/0.html

Obviously your guarantee isn't worth much.

You should move to Houston. I hear it's wonderful.

Old 07-08-2008, 10:39 AM

Quote:
I brought up Austin to make a point which I acknowledged from the start may or may not hold water.

Hmm, there seem to be a lot of people visiting Austin for SXSW from all over the world.

Band list, with hometowns listed:
http://2008.sxsw.com/music/showcases/alpha/0.html

Obviously your guarantee isn't worth much.

You should move to Houston. I hear it's wonderful.

I'm planning to in the Fall. I like Houston ten times more than I like Austin.

ETA: Dude I looked at that band list there are like 10 non-American bands there out of how many? Seriously that does not count for a lot of people! But that is typical of Austinites, they continually claim that their city is diverse and liberal blah blah blah.

Old 07-08-2008, 10:50 AM
JPD

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJP View Post
As far as music, Houston has produced huge influences but it's rarely mentioned they're from Houston.
Please name some examples. You're right, I can think of very few bands or musicians who claim to be specifically from Houston. Most Texas acts say they're from Texas or from Austin.

ZZ Top is supposedly from Houston. We've heard about the fairly obscure chopped and screwed scene. Who else?

Old 07-08-2008, 10:55 AM
JPD

Quote:
ETA: Dude I looked at that band list there are like 10 non-American bands there out of how many? Seriously that does not count for a lot of people! .
That list has 63 bands not from the US. Give opr take one or two, as I counted quickly, but that's quite a bit more than the "like 10" you somehow managed to count.

Old 07-08-2008, 11:03 AM

Quote:
That list has 63 bands not from the US. Give opr take one or two, as I counted quickly, but that's quite a bit more than the "like 10" you somehow managed to count.

I was too lazy to go past the first page so I should have said 10 on that first page- there are 6 pages of what looks to be well over 100 bands per page and you get 63 international bands. That's still not a lot and it doesn't prove that people outside the US are aware of Austin. Hell I am in Austin and that doesn't mean that people from my country or any of the 4 others I've lived in are aware of the this city. Using SXSW isn't a great example and it doesn't prove that anyone knows or frankly cares about Austin.

Its an ok city to be sure but its a bit small and boring for my tastes.

Old 07-08-2008, 11:12 AM

415 posts, read 506,487 times
Quote:
Please name some examples. You're right, I can think of very few bands or musicians who claim to be specifically from Houston. Most Texas acts say they're from Texas or from Austin.

ZZ Top is supposedly from Houston. We've heard about the fairly obscure chopped and screwed scene. Who else?
You have people like Destiny's Child, Hilary Duff, Clint Black, etc. Houston is more known for its rap and country artists.

And yes ZZ Top is from the Houston area. So was Barry White.

Old 07-08-2008, 11:16 AM
JPD

Quote:
I was too lazy to go past the first page so I should have said 10 on that first page- there are 6 pages of what looks to be well over 100 bands per page and you get 63 international bands. That's still not a lot Its an ok city to be sure but its a bit small and boring for my tastes.

Actually, the 63 are only from the first page. I didn't even realize there were 6 pages. So the actual number would probably be something closer to 300-400 non-USA bands.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta