Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2008, 10:24 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,294,166 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
Things are still in the development phase, and will be for a while.
Here's a website that gives regular updates on what's going on around there:

www.briarcliffnorthdruidhills.org

Thanks, I'll check out that website later today.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2008, 10:53 AM

3,972 posts, read 12,660,509 times
However, right now, developers can't build any more condos cause they can't get financing. In a few years, maybe, but we all know the current situation with the condo market in Atlanta.

I support true mixed use -- which is a combination of housing types (rental and ownership near each other, SFH, condos, townhomes, etc), class A office and commercial space, as well as retail. So far in DeKalb what we have been getting isn't really true mixed use. Almost no new Class A space, lots of retail (which equals low paying service jobs) and multi-family housing only.

Old 07-07-2008, 12:41 PM

8,862 posts, read 17,485,663 times
To the poster who wondered when the transformation of Executive Park would begin--drive through Ex Park--it has begun.

Drive down Sheridan/Chantilly and see the huge new apt complexes and different style of housing available.

I don't dare to hope that they will leave the green space that already exists there. But maybe someone has designed something that incorporates it. I walk my dog through there and it is so nice to get away from the heat and traffic.

Ready to 'Kill' those visiting VA Highland on Saturday. Several out of state plates--nearly wrote down the tag numbers and called 911. Especially the Volvo driver talking on a cell phone.

Tried to go to Roswell Rd this AM. Unpleasant drive as usual. 'I Remember When' I could go to Roswell Rd without major stress.

Still thinking about 'Buford, Suwanee and parts north'.

It ain't fun --those who want to move over here--gets pretty old --not able to get out of your neighborhood to any of the main streets.

I hope atlantagreg or someone will come and advise on the routing of traffic.

TakeAhike

still tired from a short trip--The Most Obnoxious Drivers in Atlanta frequent Briarcliff/N. Druid Hills --I am convinced.

Old 07-07-2008, 01:24 PM
JPD

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeAhike View Post
To the poster who wondered when the transformation of Executive Park would begin--drive through Ex Park--it has begun.

I was asking specifically about the office park. Maybe I'm mistaken, but I don't believe any part of the office park was torn down to make room for the apartments that have sprung up in the last several years.

Old 07-07-2008, 01:28 PM

23,462 posts, read 44,083,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
I was asking specifically about the office park. Maybe I'm mistaken, but I don't believe any part of the office park was torn down to make room for the apartments that have sprung up in the last several years.
The side of EP fronting Sheridan Rd. was formerly occupied by one-story office buildings; they have been torn down and replaced by four and five-story apartment buildings.

Old 07-07-2008, 01:58 PM
JPD

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
The side of EP fronting Sheridan Rd. was formerly occupied by one-story office buildings; they have been torn down and replaced by four and five-story apartment buildings.
Ok, I stand corrected.

I don't live in that area, so I admit I'm not completely in the know. I have tried to keep up with the Sembler controversy, however, and it seemed like the proposal to level Executive Park and COMPLETELY replace it with one huge project (as opposed to nipping away at it little by little, which is what the new apartment complexes appear to be doing) came about months after Sembler had riled up the community with their plan to bulldoze schools, apartments and football stadiums so they could redevelop the area across Briarcliff from Executive Park.

Old 07-07-2008, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
Ok, I stand corrected.

I don't live in that area, so I admit I'm not completely in the know. I have tried to keep up with the Sembler controversy, however, and it seemed like the proposal to level Executive Park and COMPLETELY replace it with one huge project (as opposed to nipping away at it little by little, which is what the new apartment complexes appear to be doing) came about months after Sembler had riled up the community with their plan to bulldoze schools, apartments and football stadiums so they could redevelop the area across Briarcliff from Executive Park.

I don't know the timeline of the two projects--Sembler probably was 'First', but the Executive Park renovation was announced around this time.

How they plan to do it--I can't say. They have already begun construction of a large new hotel --near the entrance to I85N.

If I see anything about the Executive Park plans I'll post the news.

It is nice and shady over there now--go while you have a chance. I think this will turn out well.

Just do not want anything like 'Atlantic Station' in my backyard. Also, still sort of miffed about all the development in general. They certainly aren't 'developing' Emory Village in this way. Lots of intense discussions going on about that.

We are the 'business district' for Emory Village/students I am certain of that.

Nice people in general so that is fine with me but I don't want to live near Lenox Square or Atlantic Station. I remember the Tuggle Dairy farm and you could hear crickets and see stars here at night in the summer.

Now I sometimes wake up, through closed windows, to sounds of I85 and the lights --it never really gets dark.

I need 'Peace and Quiet' as much as I need anything.

TakeAhike

Old 07-08-2008, 12:22 AM

16,700 posts, read 29,521,595 times
What I don't understand is all of this "urban-style" development in suburban areas. To be "urban"...you need a key feature...public mass transportation (rail, streetcars, trains).

It doesn't really matter what they do if there isn't a transit stop in or near the development (no, buses do not count!).

Old 07-08-2008, 05:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
What I don't understand is all of this "urban-style" development in suburban areas. To be "urban"...you need a key feature...public mass transportation (rail, streetcars, trains).

It doesn't really matter what they do if there isn't a transit stop in or near the development (no, buses do not count!).

Oh--MARTA has a lot of routes running through this area to Brookhaven and Lindbergh. It is the 'Perfect' area for development. And I just can't be 'Thrilled' about this plan. Doesn't matter the DeKalb needs $$$$$$ and this is a way to bring in the money. Dunwoody will be pulling out very soon and believe me the South part of the county seriously needs to join the 21C. So--develop this prime real estate and problem solved. I can understand why this is necessary--just don't enjoy the extra 'Stress' in my life.
Believe me those that drive North Druid Hills--many coming from Gwinnett and beyond are not 'Nice' people. I have discussed this with DeKalb PD on several occasions. They are always around--in case I need them. LOL--Nice guys. They speed off toward I85 and all the accidents --I like to watch those cars go. Go DeKalb PD/Central District!

TakeAhike

Old 07-08-2008, 05:32 PM

16,700 posts, read 29,521,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeAhike View Post
Oh--MARTA has a lot of routes running through this area to Brookhaven and Lindbergh. It is the 'Perfect' area for development.
But, really though, just having bus routes (for an area such as this) just isn't enough.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta