Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2008, 09:04 AM

1,359 posts, read 4,296,694 times

Advertisements

[quote=Georgia;4429037]Mount Laurel is right down the road from Cherry Hill, about 4 miles.
Rt 73 is the main route in Mount Laurel to Marlton which is on 70. Rt 70 leads into Cherry Hill.
QUOTE]

Georgia, Thanks very much for all the info on Mount Laurel. The real estate website looked great as well. You broadened my outlook on South Jersey / Philly (further than the Cherry Hill area).

Wish you well on your "return home" pursuit! In the meantime, hope you are enjoying the fun things around here -- some of my recent discoveries are ice skating in Duluth, and Malibu grand prix in Norcross, tubing the hooch, other than the traditional Stn Mtn, Centennial Park, etc.

As for us, very likely that in the near future we will make the move to the Northeast. Atlanta works well for some phases of one's life, I am using it to mutual benefit (contribute to the city + take advantage of the benefits) while we are here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2008, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marjan View Post
Better air to breathe
As compared to where in the Northeast? Do you have any comparisons?

Quote:
Originally Posted by marjan View Post
No snow and no more cold winters.
Is the concept of "I enjoy 4 seasons" a myth? Sometimes I plain cold weather, without the snow, is such a waste! It primarily takes some good winter clothing???

Old 07-13-2008, 09:11 AM

I have one more "Northeast" question. Lyme disease. How much of a concern is it, and how do you protect yourself?

Old 07-13-2008, 10:31 AM

18 posts, read 77,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FromGA View Post
I have one more "Northeast" question. Lyme disease. How much of a concern is it, and how do you protect yourself?

Lyme disease should a big concern no matter where you are. Use insect repellant. To be honest I have seen and encountered more ticks here (even in my own backyard - I live in the city) than I ever have in the Northeast. I never encountered any in the NE that includes hiking in the Adirondacks. Although, I am sure that they were and still are there.

Old 07-13-2008, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepperPot75 View Post
Lyme disease should a big concern no matter where you are. Use insect repellant. To be honest I have seen and encountered more ticks here (even in my own backyard - I live in the city) than I ever have in the Northeast. I never encountered any in the NE that includes hiking in the Adirondacks. Although, I am sure that they were and still are there.
Wow! I need to learn how to identify a tick! Are they mostly in green areas, or in playground type settings as well?

But just to be educated I did a little search, and found this:
DVBID: Cases by State 93 - 06 | CDC Lyme Disease
Not to sound alarmist, but just to be educated -- majority of the cases are in the northeast. I am guessing the particular type of tick exists in the northeast more...??

Old 07-13-2008, 05:51 PM

Anyone knows why the Northeast has a large mix of European cultures, while the Southeast seems to be primarily of English (and Irish?) descent? I am a novice on this topic, so if I am wrong please correct me.

Old 07-14-2008, 07:20 AM

18 posts, read 77,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FromGA View Post
Wow! I need to learn how to identify a tick! Are they mostly in green areas, or in playground type settings as well?

But just to be educated I did a little search, and found this:
DVBID: Cases by State 93 - 06 | CDC Lyme Disease
Not to sound alarmist, but just to be educated -- majority of the cases are in the northeast. I am guessing the particular type of tick exists in the northeast more...??
Ticks can be found in any green and/or wooded areas. However, the majority of cases are found in the Northeast. Lyme disease was named from Lyme, CT where an outbreak tick borne illnesses was discovered in the 1970s. Although, many cases were documented well before the 1970's it was not yet known as Lyme Disease. The Deer Tick is said to be main culprit behind lyme disease.

They say to keep your lawn mowed frequently and to make sure that the grass does not get too high. Ticks lie in wait on tall blades of grass and in wooded areas and wait patiently for a host to walk by. If a host/carrier bushes against a tick it quickly latches on proceeds to make itself at home on the skin sucks the hosts blood). Once it has had its fill it detaches itself and proceeds to lay eggs. And then waits for another host and repeat the cycle again and again. Ticks can easily be transported from area to another via Deer, squirrels, birds, rabbits, pets, humans, any warm blooded mammal, even reptiles.

If you plan to be outdoors (no matter where you are) use insect repellent, check yourself and family memebers for ticks. Be especially vigilant if you have any household pets and make sure that you check them throughly and that they also have some flea and tick repellent.

There are many different types of ticks. Here are couple of images to help you identify ticks and more info on Ticks.

ticks and Lyme Disease Info

Old 07-14-2008, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Ticks can be found in any green and/or wooded areas. However, the majority of cases are found in the Northeast. Lyme disease was named from Lyme, CT where an outbreak tick borne ...

This information was very helpful.

Lyme disease incidence seems to drop off significantly around Virginia. Wisconsin seems to be another area prone to this.

How much of a concern is it on a day-to-day basis in the Northeast? Is incidence of it frequently mentioned among friends or relatives? Know anyone with chronic symptoms? Do people check their bodies on any regular basis, or after being outdoors, and are generally vigilant about this. Just trying to be knowledgeable about this topic. Thanks.

Old 07-14-2008, 07:39 PM

13,975 posts, read 25,815,937 times
We lived in rural NW New Jersey for a few years. We always had deer in the yard, and yet I don't recall ever finding one on my kids. However, a good friend of my son got Lyme disease, and had the tell-tale rash. Another boy in the same grade had gotten Lyme when he was younger. Because it wasn't properly diagnosed, he had some pretty devastating symptoms, and needed a long time of rehabilitation. He did completely recover though. It is a concern. Here in GA, I've only found them on one of my dogs, even after using flea and tick preventative.

Old 07-14-2008, 08:14 PM

293 posts, read 568,111 times
Quote:
I am not sure about other areas in the Northeast but in my hometown there is no decline in housing prices (even in this current economy/housing market). A typical run of the mill new construction 4 bedroom 2.5 bath home here without all of the bells and whistles that runs about $120 - $180K (depending on the area) will cost you about $400K minimum up there . And that's just for your standard home without any extras or fancy upgrades. For $400K you can get a McMansion here.
...it is for this reason my wife and I just moved from Maryland. The cost of houses is just crazy up there!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta