Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2007, 12:06 PM

45 posts, read 164,678 times

Advertisements

I'm new to Henry county. I 've been looking online at www. great schools.net. Just wondering if anyone had any personal info on the following schools: Eagle's Landing, Union Grove, Dutchtown. Looking to buy a home soon but, I'm getting mixed reviews regarding the high schools in Henry county. Dutchtown is new but, the parent reviews on the website have nothing but, complaints about the princepal. Union Grove, I'm told is the best school but, it's not racially balanced. Please Help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2007, 02:22 PM

129 posts, read 656,593 times
If you are looking for a racially "balanced" school 50/50 I would say that Eagles landing or luella fits that bill.
Dutchtown is fairly new but I think more black than white. Henry is definitly more black. Union grove is ranked the best now, maybe 20% black?? but there is so much new development. I am sure that will change over time. also Ola is the newest school this year, suppose to be just as good, but for the time being mostly white.

Also I believe a new middle and high school opens this year in Stockbridge.
Locust Grove will be getting a new middle and High school in a few years also.

My kids are still in Elementary but we have lived in Mcdonough for 5 1/2 years.

Old 01-17-2007, 09:57 PM

sahm3,
Thanks for the break down. I am leaning towards Union Grove but, my daughter currently attends Eagles Landing Middle. We just got here in July and she's finally made friends! She wants to go to high school with the same kids. Good point about the schools becoming more balanced w/ new development. Do you know of any nice subdivisions that are reasonably priced in Mcdonough?

Old 01-18-2007, 08:24 AM

129 posts, read 656,593 times
Yes, there are a ton depending on your price range?? Union Grove HS is going to be getting a new principal next year, just heard this today at my daughter's school. There is going to be a big switch around with prinicpals.
so the rumor is...

Old 01-18-2007, 03:22 PM

12 posts, read 57,659 times
It so happens that today I've been looking at henry county as a possible relocation spot in the summer...especially in McDonough. I was quite impressed with the schools after looking at various report cards and was thinking that Eagles Landing High and Middle School would be perfect. What I'm thinking might be difficult for me to figure out since I notice that attendance in these schools are based on the zone in which you live in. Is there a way to get an idea on what area you would have to live in so that I can narrow down housing searches. Also what is the employment outlook in McDonough? Do most people work in Atlanta? If possible in the near future I'd greatly appreciate if I can toss some questions around to help make the move as smooth as possible. Thanks In Advance.

Old 01-18-2007, 03:36 PM

Default try this site when searching for homes

mzkeepnit4u2nv,

Go to www.atlantamls.com or Removed to search for properties. You will be able to narrow your search down to specific schools. I don't know about employment in Mcdonough. I think most people commute to Atl. I guess it depends on your field. I commute to Atl (35 min drive). It's not bad but, I do have off hours.

Last edited by xxman777; 01-18-2007 at 04:10 PM.. Reason: Commercial Link

Old 01-18-2007, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sahm3 View Post
Yes, there are a ton depending on your price range?? Union Grove HS is going to be getting a new principal next year, just heard this today at my daughter's school. There is going to be a big switch around with prinicpals.
so the rumor is...
Sahm3
I was trying to stay under $300,000. I feel weird buying an older home since there are so many new homes being built but, the older homes have basement. We have to have a basement or my husband will just die. Basement are the norm up north. I found a ton of homes on a slab. Have you ever heard of Terrace or Winslow @ Eagles landing? Union Grove does have a really good rep. I'm thinking that might be good for resale down the road.

Old 01-18-2007, 04:39 PM

12 posts, read 57,659 times
Thanks Niko for that site..was there a second one that you typed that didn't happen to get posted because it seems as if it has removed in the middle. I'm starting to get a bit more excited and less discouraged. This forum has so much information I didn't think that I'd ever be able to at least narrow my search. I'm planning a trip to come to Georgia next month so that I can see for myself and get a feel for different areas. I do have a friend that lives in Stockbridge. Right now I'm working in the Accounting field...and I've been mainly applying for jobs in the Atlanta area...I'm a bit shocked at the starting salaries, but I'm sure I'll be able to find something suitable. By the way I'm relocating from Illinois, and I definitely know how northerners feel about having a basement.

Old 01-18-2007, 04:47 PM

1,025 posts, read 4,083,360 times
Quote:
and I definitely know how northerners feel about having a basement.
I would think more southerners would insist upon having a basement, too, especially considering all the tornado warnings we experience.

Old 01-18-2007, 04:53 PM

Mzkeepnit,

The other site I recommended is Removed. There is another Moderator cut: Commercial Link, so watch how you type it. Make sure you don't forget the S. Don't let them low ball you with salary. I made about $5 more an hour in NJ but, I think the state tax is very different. I almost bring home nearly the same amount. I flew down in March 2006 and did 6 interviews in 3 days. We moved here in July. The job I ended up with is good for now. You can bounce later, if you really don't like it after you're living here a while. It will be easier to go on interviews once you're actually living here. I know the paycut seems extreme, if there is one for you but, remember you won't need as much to live here in Georgia.

Last edited by xxman777; 01-18-2007 at 05:07 PM.. Reason: Commercial link
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta