Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2008, 06:42 AM

4 posts, read 6,816 times

Advertisements

Hi there,

we will be moving from "good 'ol germany" to the US - Atlanta.

Unfortunately we have no idea what areas/counties to look for renting a house, schools, kindergardens etc.

I am a born german, married to a south-african with 2 kids (boy is 5, daughter 3 plus a brown labrador ...
we are looking for a safe area to live in - kindergardens/schools nearby, possibly water/woods/greens to walk the dog and do some running/exercise...

What is your best advice at this time - where should we look for accommodation, what schools, kindergardens can you recommend...

Ill be working in the Sandy Springs area - Perimeter Center East but do not mind a reasonable time to commute to work (reasonable to me is around 30 min )

Your help is highly appreciated!!!

ZeGerman
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2008, 06:53 AM

269 posts, read 1,070,208 times
Check out Sandy Springs from any online realtor, and see if you can find an acceptable house in your price range. If not, the areas close by, to the north, east and west, might be more affordable.

Old 07-11-2008, 06:54 AM

13 posts, read 43,658 times
Hi ZeGerman. Welcome to Atlanta.

I used to live and work in the Sandy Springs / Perimeter / Dunwoody / Alpharetta area, and it would take me 30 minutes just to get out of the area. Traffic has not improved. The only saving grace is that there are a couple of metro transit stations (MARTA) in the area. My advice to you would be to pick a neighborhood with MARTA (itsmarta.com), so that you do not have to drive to work every day.

Do you have an idea of how much you wish to pay for housing.

Old 07-11-2008, 06:59 AM

308 posts, read 1,037,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeGerman View Post
Hi there,

Unfortunately we have no idea what areas/counties to look for renting a house, schools, kindergardens etc.

I am a born german, married to a south-african with 2 kids (boy is 5, daughter 3 plus a brown labrador ...
we are looking for a safe area to live in - kindergardens/schools nearby, possibly water/woods/greens to walk the dog and do some running/exercise...

What is your best advice at this time - where should we look for accommodation, what schools, kindergardens can you recommend...

Ill be working in the Sandy Springs area - Perimeter Center East but do not mind a reasonable time to commute to work (reasonable to me is around 30 min )

ZeGerman
I think your work spot puts you in a great area to start. I would look up 400 towards Roswell and Alpharetta and then from there over towards Cobb County along 120. Good luck with the move!

Old 07-11-2008, 07:14 AM

4 posts, read 6,816 times
Thank you for your replies!!

I am more than unsure of how much I should spend - Still € then $. The less the better - sorry but cant really say yet as I have no idea what the market offers.

Which county should we start looking at?
(Atlanta homes for rent - home rentals - houses for rent in Atlanta, Rentlist. Savannah Property Managers. - just had a look here ...)
A first wild guess for cost: ~ 1000 - 1600$ (rent - does that include extras such as heat/electricity/water? If not, how much can we expect to be paying?)

Some lovely houses you have there!!!!!! Cant wait to move :-)

Old 07-11-2008, 09:03 AM

197 posts, read 515,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KayMortgages View Post
I used to live and work in the Sandy Springs / Perimeter / Dunwoody / Alpharetta area, and it would take me 30 minutes just to get out of the area.
I’m not sure why it took you 30 minutes “just to get out of the area” but I’ve lived in Sandy Springs (North Peachtree-Dunwoody Rd by Spalding Drive) for 4 years and commute every morning in the middle of rush hour to the heart of Buckhead and consistently get there in less than 30 minutes. Your commute time really depends on 4 things, where you live, where you’re going, what time you’re going and most importantly how smart you are at planning your route. If you follow the herd then yes you will undoubtedly get stuck in the middle of the herd. I have 3 different routes that I have planned out for my commute. I diligently studied maps of the areas I drive through, found alternate surface streets that looked like they would get me to where I wanted to go, tested all of them and from those tests picked the best routes. I came up with three different routes that will get me to where I’m going in about the same amount of time, although one route does get me there about 8 to 10 minutes sooner than the other two and that’s the one I usually take. Most people pick out one route (which is usually the same one that everybody else takes) and they stick to that route indefinitely never having a clue that some of the surface streets they pass everyday would get them to where they want to go faster than their usual route.

ZeGerman, as ramblinwreck17 said, your work place is in a very nice area. I live not too far up the road from that area and really enjoy it. Will your significant other be working as well and if so do they know what part of the city they will be working in?

Old 07-11-2008, 10:10 AM

352 posts, read 1,425,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeGerman View Post
Hi there,

ZeGerman
I actually work for an SA company in Buckhead and we put most of our relos with familes in Sandy Springs. A lot of European International kids in the kindergardens in Buckhead, Sandy Springs and Brookhaven.

Old 07-13-2008, 09:42 AM

9 posts, read 30,549 times
I would be very, very careful to make sure there are children outside playing unsupervised in the neighborhood you choose. Your children, from Germany, are going to be used to not being treated like criminals under house arrest until they are 16. This is typical, though, of American culture. Many neighborhoods don't even put sidewalks in any more. Our world is not any less safe than it was when we let our kids out to play, but we act like our children are going to be snatched if they aren't watched constantly.

What are your schooling plans? Your options include public (government), private-secular, private-religious, public-virtual, and do it yourself (home schooling is very easy to do here).

Old 07-24-2008, 10:40 AM

6 posts, read 14,717 times
I agree with you about home -schooling. It is much better; it is a little extra effort, but you can get excellent results and avoid that your kids get some "bad words, habits and friends"

I can help with home schooling if you want. I will be moving to Atlanta at the middle of August- 08.

Regards

Old 07-24-2008, 12:30 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,883,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcorrin View Post
I agree with you about home -schooling. It is much better; it is a little extra effort, but you can get excellent results and avoid that your kids get some "bad words, habits and friends"
But... isn't an occasional bad word or habit NORMAL for children? And if parents keep up with who their child's friends are, don't they avoid those bad friends?

The home schooling debate is a hot one, but I don't think it's possible to completely sanitize your child's experiences while they're growing up and keep them sheltered from the real world. Nor do I think it's psychologically healthy for the child, either. But that's another debate. Still, ZeGerman, you may want to explore the schools thread at the top of the Atlanta room for comments about the area(s) you're considering, or also post in there as well. The public school system here does have its share of issues and problems in some places, but it's not all doom and gloom. There are some great public schools in the Atlanta area and keeping your kids at home in a room all day is only one option. You'll be in a new country, so would probably want your children to be immersed in their new culture to learn from it and enjoy it - not isolated from it. Just an opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta