Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2008, 10:46 AM

90 posts, read 335,904 times

Advertisements

Would you be comfortable living around Little Five Points? Thanks, K
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2008, 10:55 AM

41 posts, read 223,945 times
Default It's not for everybody

In the Little Five Points area you will see some freaky looking people, but I don't think they're out to harm anyone. The area may not be the safest in Atlanta, but it is far from being the most dangerous. Just be careful and know who is around you in all areas of Metro Atlanta.

Old 07-12-2008, 11:38 AM

23 posts, read 134,449 times
if you are without kids no big deal.
even with kids its decent.
but either way you need to be tolerant of others not like you and understand the old judging a book by its cover.

Old 07-12-2008, 12:52 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,874,752 times
I'm in my 40s and a more traditional type guy, so I would stick out in LFP like a Martian, but I do go down there and walk around now and then. The "Vortex" restaurant makes excellent burgers and it's worth looking at body peircings and spiked hair to get one. LOL

As far as safety, it's of the freaky variety but not "dangerous" there. You have some bums and scammers walking around who might bug you, but I've not seen anyone I'd consider dangerous on my trips in the area. There are certainly cleaner and nicer neighborhoods, but it can be much worse, too.

Old 07-13-2008, 01:08 AM

1,133 posts, read 4,185,798 times
Lots of car break-ins. Never leave anything visible in your car. Also if you have a front porch on your house, stuff will grow legs and walk away. That's true in most intown neighborhoods. Just use common sense and try to be safe.

Old 07-13-2008, 05:30 AM

513 posts, read 1,631,840 times
I wouldn't be that afraid. Of course, things can change a little from street to street. Definitely safer than it was 10-15 years ago.

Old 07-13-2008, 07:17 AM

90 posts, read 335,904 times
Default Daughter was attacked in LFPs...

My daughter was attacked in LFPs. A man, at gunpoint, tried to force her back into her car. He began beating her with his fist and pistol. Police later assume it was an attempt to get her to her ATM. This happened in her Condo parking lot. Her fiance came to her rescue... he and his baseball bat.
She was bruised and battered, but checked out ok at the hospital. They have since apprehended what is believed to be the suspect.

This is why I'm worried about here living in that area. But she has always loved the area. Glad to hear good things about it. I guess the chances of this happening again to her would be rare. However, she is having trouble recovering from it mentally and is too fearful to return to her condo. Kaci

Old 07-13-2008, 09:34 AM

269 posts, read 1,069,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaci View Post
My daughter was attacked in LFPs. A man, at gunpoint, tried to force her back into her car. He began beating her with his fist and pistol. Police later assume it was an attempt to get her to her ATM. This happened in her Condo parking lot. Her fiance came to her rescue... he and his baseball bat.
She was bruised and battered, but checked out ok at the hospital. They have since apprehended what is believed to be the suspect.

This is why I'm worried about here living in that area. But she has always loved the area. Glad to hear good things about it. I guess the chances of this happening again to her would be rare. However, she is having trouble recovering from it mentally and is too fearful to return to her condo. Kaci
Very sorry about your daughter I'm glad she's okay.

However, I want to point out that the same type of crime occurs in Buckhead. I'd say LFP is higher risk but not extreme.

Old 07-13-2008, 11:37 AM

21 posts, read 78,956 times
I live a few blocks away from L5P, in Candler Park. The neighborhood is full of families -- almost everyone on my street has kids. We do too, and we feel fairly safe here. That said, there is more crime than you'd get in the suburbs. If you leave your car unlocked it's a sure bet anything loose will be taken out of it. There are home breakins and sometimes random violence. Last year a man was shot to death in a mugging, and two teenagers shot a few dozen rounds into a house over near the Inman Park MARTA station -- nobody was killed, fortunately. These kinds of crimes seme to be the exception, not the norm, though.

If you read the crime report in the Candler Park or Inman Park newsletters, you'll get a good idea what it's like:

Inman Park Advocator (http://www.inmanpark.org/archives.php - broken link)
Candler Park Messenger (http://www.candlerpark.org/cm/?q=node/6 - broken link)

Again, the neighborhoods around Little Five Points (Inman Park and Candler Park) are both chock-full of families, so don't read too much into the crime report. Housing prices in both places are extremely expensive -- you could easily spend $1mm on a 4 bedroom in Inman Park -- so there are clearly a lot of people willing to live here. That probably has a lot to do with:

1) Proximity to downtown and midtown.
2) It's one of the only places in the city where you can walk to restaurants, bars and shops.
3) Lots and lots of open space -- we have two huge parks within a 5 minute walk of our house.
4) Virtually anything you want is within a 10 minute drive, including hundreds of great restaurants, a Target, multiple grocery stores, Trader Joe's, lots of bars, etc.

Old 07-13-2008, 12:14 PM

308 posts, read 1,037,662 times
From L5P to I-20 along Moreland you do run in to some lower level income areas. That would be my concern if I were to live in L5P. L5P itself is fine. It's just easy access for some tough neighborhoods
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta