Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2008, 07:39 AM

1,755 posts, read 5,679,870 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
Business hours are any hours a business is open, but if by "business hours" you mean 9-5 then I completely disagree. Peachtree Center Mall is basically nothing more than a food court. Thousands of college students now live in the new GSU dorms a few blocks from the Macy's building, and the number of people who reside full time in downtown has grown in recent years. These folks need somewhere to buy clothing, groceries, home (or dorm) furnishings, bed/bath supplies, etc., and they need access to it all day, not just 9-5, which is how most downtown retail operates.

If this new development caters only to the people who work downtown, it will be a failure.
But that's the only people who live in that area, GSU students w/o much money to blow. Most residential areas are in Midtown, South of the Capitol, West of the Stadium. If you go East you have Ponce area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2008, 08:01 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,288,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gt6974a View Post
But that's the only people who live in that area, GSU students w/o much money to blow.
That's wrong on two levels.

1. Hundreds if not thousands of people live in the Healey, the William Oliver, Muses, and other buildings close to the Macy's building, and the number is growing.

2. Dorm residents might be low on cash, but they have credit cards, and they use them. A lot. Granted, it's not a wise to live off of credit cards, but it is an economic reality which helps keep retailers in business.

Old 07-16-2008, 08:02 AM

Location: Originally from Cali relocated to Inman Park/Old 4th Ward/Westside Atlanta
987 posts, read 3,910,604 times
You have a HUGE Hotel district/convention area as well smack dab in the middle of it so I think that has to count when you think of population in that area. Especially since the people who stay in those hotels and are visiting and attending conventions and seeing sites in the area are spending alot of money dining and shopping.

Old 07-16-2008, 08:19 AM

1,755 posts, read 5,679,870 times
Well, I work at PeachTree Center, and if I leave after 7 the area is completely dead.

If y'all think it'll work fine, I'm just saying I don't think it will.

Old 07-16-2008, 08:29 AM

Location: Originally from Cali relocated to Inman Park/Old 4th Ward/Westside Atlanta
987 posts, read 3,910,604 times
One of the main reasons it is somewhat dead is because there are no grocery stores(Publix/Target) that keeps the area buzzing all times of the day. And most of the people visiting the hotels just go to Buckhead/Midtown/VaHI for evening pursuits for the most part. The Hard Rock Cafe/Hooters/Daileys and some other places around there do well and the area seems lively to me most of the times when I bike, walk and drive through. I believe a grocery store/target and a 6screen movie theatre (that serve food/drinks) would be perfect to draw people there all times of the day.

Last edited by Atlantasfinest; 07-16-2008 at 08:47 AM..

Old 07-16-2008, 08:42 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,288,075 times
Quote:
Well, I work at PeachTree Center, and if I leave after 7 the area is completely dead.
It's dead because the people wo live in the area have to go somewhere else to buy groceries and toilet paper. This developement, if it's done right, will change that and downtown will be a very different and much better place to live, work and visit.

Old 07-16-2008, 09:12 AM

340 posts, read 1,576,579 times
It's hard for something to survive in that building unless it sets it apart from Underground Atlanta and Peachtree center. In other words it has to be unique somehow in the area including Midtown, Buckhead and even in surrounding malls. Its strength is location and large space, however how it can attracts people from different walks is a challege to the company. Due to our limited population and mobility of people, a lot of choices are out there for people to choose from. To have a sustainable flourish, it's not any easy thing to do, IMO.

Last edited by CityFan; 07-16-2008 at 09:47 AM..

Old 07-16-2008, 09:32 AM

269 posts, read 1,069,920 times
Quote:
There's a publix off of 8th street b/t west peachtree st and spring street. Before Tech put in Technology square and the publix went in, this is where all the drugs were sold.
Yeah, that was one of the worst neighborhoods in Atlanta. On top of all the drug trade, the area (especially Cypress Street) was the #1 spot for young/underage male street prostitutes. I imagine a lot of them were drug addicts.

As recently as 10 or 15 years ago, there were drug dealers in some of the grand old houses of Midtown, like on Myrtle Street and Argonne.

Old 07-16-2008, 01:39 PM

989 posts, read 1,742,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
It's dead because the people wo live in the area have to go somewhere else to buy groceries and toilet paper. This developement, if it's done right, will change that and downtown will be a very different and much better place to live, work and visit.
You are correct, I have to either go to 8th St or North Ave Publix and although it's less than 2 miles away, I dread having to get in my car. There are thousands of residence who live in Downtown. This is less than a quarter mile from Allen Plaza, Healey, Rensaince Walk, Fairlie Popular lofts.

This is excellent news to me and I hope the developer gets it right.

Old 07-16-2008, 01:42 PM

23,447 posts, read 44,050,291 times
I go with the argument that if downtown is going to be a viable residential area, then projects like this have to go forward...but they have to be geared to residents, not tourists.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta