Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-20-2008, 01:05 PM

2,819 posts, read 10,366,874 times

Advertisements

Wow! Now lets see if Mayor Franklin will finally allow this 2005 law to be enforced.

The below is from WSB TV

Atlanta Police Cracking Down On Panhandlers With Hidden Cameras
Survey Shows Panhandling Second-Biggest Complaint Behind Traffic

Undercover police in Atlanta will wear concealed cameras to capture any threatening behavior from panhandlers.

Maj. Khirus Williams announced the new program Friday.

An Atlanta Convention and Visitors Bureau survey of visitors shows that panhandling is the second-biggest complaint about Atlanta, behind traffic.

Williams declined to say how many officers will be involved in the hidden-camera effort.

The city passed an anti-panhandling ordinance in 2005, but it has not been rigorously enforced.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2008, 02:33 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,761,178 times
And how long will it take before the activists start protesting, marching, and threaten to sue the city?

Hate to say it, but while I agree it's an enormous problem and needs to be fixed, I don't think they'll go anywhere with this. They've got on the bandwagon many times in the past and will do something for a few days to enforce it, then back down at the first sign of protest.

A real shame. You know, I know lots of folks on the West metro side of town who will now actually drive 1.5 hours North to Chattanooga to have a fun day in a downtown area, rather than drive into Atlanta anymore and deal with all that stuff. Sad, though I'm sure Chattanooga appreciates all the Atlanta money they're getting.

Old 07-20-2008, 04:40 PM

193 posts, read 690,598 times
Wow, this must be racist, Oh wait everyone doing this is black?, hmmm well it still must be racist anyway dammit, somebody call Rev Sharpton and Jesse Jackson?

Old 07-20-2008, 04:44 PM

61,290 posts, read 87,073,039 times
dont know atlanta but know charlotte and memphis a lil.
it has moved from panhandling to aggressive panhandling to strong armed robbery
we got it here too. all part of the 1984 think speak language.
its not strong armed robbery its panhandling. it not sexual assault its a personal incident its not gang banging its just troubled youth trying to find its way.
its not grand auto theft its joy riding.its not burglary armed robbery and assault, its home invasion.

Last edited by Huckleberry3911948; 07-20-2008 at 05:00 PM..

Old 07-20-2008, 06:45 PM

1,755 posts, read 5,660,619 times
No, there's some White homeless people in Atlanta. I work at PeachTree Center and probably get hit up once a day. Many times right in front of the foot patrol cops that just hang out.

The 'A' people, the Atlanta Hospitality people that give help do a better job at scaring off the homeless than the cops. And the precinct is 1 block away.

Old 09-04-2008, 05:11 PM

17 posts, read 48,574 times
The panhandling around the core of our city is awful. My favorite move is when they cross the street on a green light and then become traffic directors. Then again, I have seen the Atlanta PD in action directing traffic, I think the homeless guys are on their same level!

Old 09-04-2008, 10:03 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,761,178 times
Honestly, considering the varied cultures that people who visit downtown come from, I'm frankly surprised that to date there's never been a story of someone assaulting a panhandler (or worse) who gets too aggressive.

I remember years ago on one of the radio stations they were talking about it and a guy called in and told the DJ he was sick of it all and was going to take his Van and just drive downtown that day and "mow over" every bum he could see, since the city wasn't doing anything about it. A friend of mine told me (who works downtown) that apparently it was taken seriously as cops were put around looking for this guy, who wound up being a no-show and just someone being mouthy.

Old 09-05-2008, 05:20 AM

4,586 posts, read 7,665,272 times
Guess it isn't working....

Panhandler charged in Midtown killing | ajc.com (http://www.ajc.com/search/content/metro/atlanta/stories/2008/09/02/midtown_atlanta_shooting.html - broken link)

Old 09-05-2008, 12:27 PM

989 posts, read 1,735,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PKCorey View Post
Guess it isn't working....

Panhandler charged in Midtown killing | ajc.com (http://www.ajc.com/search/content/metro/atlanta/stories/2008/09/02/midtown_atlanta_shooting.html - broken link)
I guess by definition he is panhandling, but I suspect the ajc just needed to link panhandling with murder. From the story something seems incomplete. Panhandler with gun shoots shoots a guy because he refused to give him money, sounds more like a robbery to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta