Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2008, 08:04 PM

34 posts, read 112,935 times

Advertisements

wilbret, im like u, i would rather live near the coast. IMO, Tampa, Jacksonville, Charlotte are all nicer areas than Atlanta and closer to the coast, which is a plus. I absolutely love how the St. John's River goes right through downtown Jacksonville. There is no real water anywhere near Atlanta.I live here because my family lives here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2008, 08:39 PM
VJP

721 posts, read 1,728,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hurricanes View Post
You'll miss the beaches, need to buy a gun for protection, a home alarm system and will be bored. The grass is not greener for sure.
Do you live in Atlanta? IF so, why haven't you left?

Old 07-20-2008, 08:53 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,885,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgsg627 View Post
I'm a 26 year old single guy living in Tampa for the last three years and although the weather is great the city hasn't really blown me away with it's culture, nightlife, etc. I now have an opportunity to move to Atlanta and am wondering opinions on the two cities? Singles population? young population? things to do? Job market for college grads? Anything would really help!
Short of it:

Atlanta will have more job opportunities and a mixed population (including younger crowds) that you want.

You will also gain the traffic you hear folks talking about, a higher crime rate, smog days, and no ocean.

So it's up to you. Put up with the older set and job market as it is (still not horrible) in Tampa where you get to keep the nice weather and beaches, or, pick up a more lively night life but have no ocean, chilly Winters (to a Floridian), and higher crime/traffic in Atlanta.

Only you know what your top priorities are. Of course as others have said, there are other places BESIDES Tampa and Atlanta you may want to consider as well that might offer the better of both. Time to research!

Old 07-20-2008, 10:22 PM

182 posts, read 711,298 times
I currently live in Tampa and am not too impressed either. I'm in my late twenties. I lived in ATL in my early twenties and think its WAY better than Tampa. Nightlife, diversity, culture, job oppertunities, arts, everything but the views. The tampa bay is very pretty.

Old 07-20-2008, 10:34 PM

23,462 posts, read 44,083,751 times
In the opinion of one who spent 8 years in Orlando and Miami, the novelty of the FL weather wears off reeeeeeal fast...

Old 07-21-2008, 05:07 AM

9,124 posts, read 36,382,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
In the opinion of one who spent 8 years in Orlando and Miami, the novelty of the FL weather wears off reeeeeeal fast...
Amen- it wears off for me within about 4 days of vacation.....lol.

Old 07-21-2008, 05:26 AM

894 posts, read 4,349,918 times
I lived in South Florida for 26 years, coming from Connecticut. I have only been here almost 2 years, but still think the winters here are cold.

Old 07-21-2008, 06:10 AM

23,462 posts, read 44,083,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ready2move View Post
I lived in South Florida for 26 years, coming from Connecticut. I have only been here almost 2 years, but still think the winters here are cold.
Certainly compared to S FL...Jan/Feb there were fabulous.
Hey ready, you're what's called a 'halfback' around here...you moved all the way down to FL from CT, and then you moved halfway back.

Old 07-21-2008, 07:11 AM

894 posts, read 4,349,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
Certainly compared to S FL...Jan/Feb there were fabulous.
Hey ready, you're what's called a 'halfback' around here...you moved all the way down to FL from CT, and then you moved halfway back.

Lovin,

I will take SFL Jan/Feb winters all day every day. Low humidity, great hair days, a light sweater at best.

My husband and I were just talking about the fact that we are "halfbacks"
Although he moved from NY at the age of 4 to FL and lived there all his life.

Old 07-21-2008, 07:21 AM

1,808 posts, read 4,038,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgsg627 View Post
I'm a 26 year old single guy living in Tampa for the last three years and although the weather is great the city hasn't really blown me away with it's culture, nightlife, etc. I now have an opportunity to move to Atlanta and am wondering opinions on the two cities? Singles population? young population? things to do? Job market for college grads? Anything would really help!
As a matter of coincidence I have lived in both places. You will find wages to be more to your liking in Atlanta. You will also find (in my opinion) way too many people in a relatively small area... with that comes the pro's and con's associated with that. Not that it adds anything to this post, but, I will not live in either place by choice again!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: