Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2008, 04:35 PM

3,972 posts, read 12,615,859 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by clsmith15 View Post
I meant sell it when they first got it. I believe the market was pretty hot at that time but I did not know the details of the area it's located in. Even if they had sold low, they still would have made out alright and certainly a lot better than foreclosure.
I don't think they could have sold it for anywhere near what it was worth -- Clayton has been a mess for a long time -- their slump began years ago, the first time the accreditation issue was raised (this is the second time).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2008, 05:03 PM

136 posts, read 476,861 times
I've heard some negative things about Clayton but I did not realize it was that bad.

Old 07-27-2008, 05:10 PM

183 posts, read 1,004,542 times
What "reality" show isn't about exploitation. That's all it is ...hype about how others live. Look at Dr. Phil, EMHE, Supernanny, etc. If you have a brain in your head, you don't expose yourself and family on national TV and rely on the soft heart and charity of others. If you need help, by all means, get it. When anything involves the media, everything in the story is twisted to get the best "sell" of the product. By this I mean the ratings, that is what makes the money for them...stand strong and work for what you get. Anything you actually worked for is definitely appreciated more and is never put in the "risk" position. Just my opinion! By the way, as if you couldn't already tell, I have very little use for TV.

Old 07-28-2008, 04:42 PM

154 posts, read 604,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clsmith15 View Post
I've heard some negative things about Clayton but I did not realize it was that bad.
It isn't. But naive exurbanites love to prattle on about the place, even thought most have never been. The main problem areas in Clayton County are the areas closest to the airport. Once you move farther south it resembles any other average suburban community. And the schools losing their accreditation (which they haven't and probably wont, btw) is not the fault of the schools or a strike against their performance, but of an inept school board.

Old 07-28-2008, 06:33 PM

100 posts, read 484,669 times
Hmm, times are not good in Clayton for selling a house. A recent sale on the very street of this extreme make over house, AHYOKA DR, sold for a whopping 29K, a 3 bedroom, too. The number one reason of the hurting real estate prices in that area is the school issue, IMHO.

Last edited by j0ja; 07-28-2008 at 06:56 PM..

Old 07-29-2008, 03:44 PM

880 posts, read 2,852,903 times
The main problem is that they just re-did the home in Clayton and did not build it somewhere else. Clayton is a disaster with a murder rate higher than Miami or Chicago (48 murders last year-about 18 per 100,000), a school system on the verge of losing accreditation, and a sharp increase in section 8 rental properties.

Old 07-29-2008, 06:36 PM

100 posts, read 484,669 times
This story was featured on the main page of Drudgereport.com on 7/29/08 - he linked to this story
'Extreme Makeover' house faces foreclosure (broken link)

Sigh .... uploaded to YouTube for sale back in April 2008

http://youtube.com/watch?v=aBq7Vw4zk2w

Old 07-29-2008, 07:58 PM

87 posts, read 414,284 times
Chiming in because I found this story so interesting. Most have echoed my sentiments about the show and this particular situation--taking out a loan on a house you have free and clear isn't a smart move, and it seems I read in one story that they took out the loan 15 months ago (I could be wrong, will have to find the article again). So given the current state of the housing situation, why would a bank agree to give someone a business loan(?) for a construction company, of all things?

My other comment is that, yes, the premise of the show is worthy, but I agree with the poster who said it seems they're trying to top each build. Bigger, better, more high-tech'er. And there's nothing wrong with that if you're in a bigger, better, high-tech neighborhood. But when you build a rich house in a poor community, what do they think will happen, even if they pay off the mortgage? I've also wondered about those homes being targets for break-ins, having this fantastic home but still having to send your kids to the same crappy school, etc.

When the show first started, anyone could write in for a makeover. I remember the first show I watched was about a couple that needed a bigger home simply because they were having triplets. Then they changed their focus to those with "a story". Anyone can do a tear down and replace it with something fabulous. I think it would be much more of a challenge to tear-down and rebuild a fabulous home that STILL fits into the community.

The saddest part, like was already mentioned, is they screwed their kids out of a PAID college education.

Okay, my last comment/rant, LOL. I look at some of those themed rooms and think, "that kids gonna be sick of (fill in their latest fixation) in another year, then he's stuck with a room with a (fill in some crazy prop like an airplane nose) inside and no way to remove it."

Old 07-29-2008, 07:59 PM

182 posts, read 449,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedudewiththeplan View Post
The main problem is that they just re-did the home in Clayton and did not build it somewhere else. Clayton is a disaster with a murder rate higher than Miami or Chicago (48 murders last year-about 18 per 100,000), a school system on the verge of losing accreditation, and a sharp increase in section 8 rental properties.
I love my neighborhood in Clayton County. I have the best neighbors in the universe. My DH got a job in PA so we just moved here a few weeks ago. We are a great neighborhood in Clayton County. We had a tornado on May 11th, (yes mother's day) and my neighbors helped everyone out and when the police arived they were impressed. When I moved, my one neighbor helped me get my house ready for sale. Put that on the news!!!!

Old 07-29-2008, 08:04 PM

23,364 posts, read 43,832,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramblinwreck17 View Post
"You can give a man a fish and feed him for a day or teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime."

A person with a sound financial mind can take a 60k year job and live like a king. A person with little financial bearing can be given 1M a year and ruin themselves.

The funds, free mortgage don't matter- it's the financial IQ of the person.
This says it all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta