Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2013, 07:52 AM

3,972 posts, read 12,665,242 times

Advertisements

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/07/22/bu...ers.html?_r=2&

This geography appears to play a major role in making Atlanta one of the metropolitan areas where it is most difficult for lower-income households to rise into the middle class and beyond, according to a new study that other researchers are calling the most detailed portrait yet of income mobility in the United States.
My initial takeaways are this:
  • The growth of population (though slowed a bit by recession) allows employers to pay less because there is an oversupply of employees
  • People relocate here without a plan.
  • The worst performing school systems have public transportation trapping many families in low performing schools and children aren't being well educated.

I also think, though the article doesn't directly address this, that mid-level jobs with major corporations and small businesses don't pay as well in the South as they do in other places. We know that teachers make less in the South than in the Northeast, for example.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2013, 09:39 AM

10,743 posts, read 13,394,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lastminutemom View Post
I also think, though the article doesn't directly address this, that mid-level jobs with major corporations and small businesses don't pay as well in the South as they do in other places. We know that teachers make less in the South than in the Northeast, for example.
Many white collar jobs don't pay as well here as, say, in Boston or New York. For example, in the law firm where I previously worked, the lawyers in our NYC office were paid a significant percentage higher than the Atlanta lawyers even where there was disparity between the number of hours worked, dollars originated, etc. They justify this (and I cannot help but agree that it is fair) due to the cost-of-living disparity between the cities.

Old 07-22-2013, 10:53 AM

1,114 posts, read 2,350,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post
Many white collar jobs don't pay as well here as, say, in Boston or New York. For example, in the law firm where I previously worked, the lawyers in our NYC office were paid a significant percentage higher than the Atlanta lawyers even where there was disparity between the number of hours worked, dollars originated, etc. They justify this (and I cannot help but agree that it is fair) due to the cost-of-living disparity between the cities.
Unless they were being paid 50-60% more at a minimum they're still at the short end of the COL stick. You also have certain market factors such as competition for top talent. I'm sure a few lawyers could have been lured to Wall St directly even though the skills are fairly different...they consume the same raw material of exceedingly smart/money driven souls. Even if white collar jobs are not so great down here, they'd drive down the overall income curve so the bottom quin-tile wouldn't have as far to go to get to the top. That said, the overall avg income in NYC area isn't much higher than it is here. They just make do w/ less housing and fewer cars.

The only thing this map tells me is that race is still a big factor. Something tells me the folks in the bottom quin-tile along the Bible Belt are a bit more tan than in other regions. Throwing money at schools won't help things if the families are too poor to keep kids in school and studying and anything that helps minorities get to better jobs is pretty taboo in this fine state.

Old 07-22-2013, 11:43 AM
fzx

399 posts, read 511,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mishap View Post
Unless they were being paid 50-60% more at a minimum they're still at the short end of the COL stick. You also have certain market factors such as competition for top talent. I'm sure a few lawyers could have been lured to Wall St directly even though the skills are fairly different...they consume the same raw material of exceedingly smart/money driven souls. Even if white collar jobs are not so great down here, they'd drive down the overall income curve so the bottom quin-tile wouldn't have as far to go to get to the top. That said, the overall avg income in NYC area isn't much higher than it is here. They just make do w/ less housing and fewer cars.

The only thing this map tells me is that race is still a big factor. Something tells me the folks in the bottom quin-tile along the Bible Belt are a bit more tan than in other regions. Throwing money at schools won't help things if the families are too poor to keep kids in school and studying and anything that helps minorities get to better jobs is pretty taboo in this fine state.

At first glance, I thought you were right. But, GA is a majority white state out of metro Atlanta area. Why we have the same problem in these locations?

To me, lack of compeition is a major factor. For a high tech employer, where do you think it will likely open an company? CA of course because it can draw far more qualified talents there than in GA. And talents move there to hunt for jobs. If the pay is not competitive, talents will move to a company next door. The cycle goes on. Here, a tech company may be lured here for the low wages needed to pay. However, there are fewer alternatives and even talents will stay around. Without constantly shopping around and without pressure from competitions, they will lose their edges and finally justify the low pay status......

Regarding to the education sys, I do not think GTech or UGA are bad but how can we keep these around and sharpen their skills?

Old 07-22-2013, 12:45 PM

1,114 posts, read 2,350,574 times
It's not the colleges that are the problem. We throw tons of lottery money their way. Our state simply isn't competitive when it comes to bringing in tech companies or any sustainable competitive advantage. Google/Microsoft/et al show up and pick out our top grads w/ six figure salaries immediately (something like 50% of GT grads leave the state). Other states like California despite their horrendous cost of living/tax rates/etc are able to poach our best talent while we sit around using tax money for corporate welfare buying company HQs and bankrolling terrible movies like it creates anything ongoing.

Play around with the UGA poverty stats. African Americans make up less than 30% of the population but are over 50% of those below the poverty line. I'm sure it's similar for most other southern states.

UGA Initiative on Poverty and the Economy

Old 07-22-2013, 12:54 PM

23,726 posts, read 24,876,648 times
A Child in Seattle Has A Much Better Chance of Escaping Poverty Than a Child in Atlanta - Emily Badger - The Atlantic Cities
It seems to be concentrated in the South.

Old 07-22-2013, 02:24 PM

1,648 posts, read 3,274,548 times
From the "Atlantic Cities link" above...

"What separates all of these places is more than just the strength of the local economy or the generosity of the tax
benefits. We do find higher rates of upward income mobility in areas with high rates of economic growth over the
past decade, but the vast majority of the difference in mobility across areas is unrealted to economic growth.

So what is it related to? The researchers identified several factors with strong correlations: school quality, social
capital and family structure (metros with more two-parent households seemed to have higher income mobility.)

"Metros with two-parent households had higher income mobility" - here is my shocked face! =O

Old 07-22-2013, 08:24 PM

7,887 posts, read 17,198,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post
There is a HUGE cost of living difference between Atlanta and NYC. You're comparing apples and oranges. Even between Boston and NYC, my company paid a 15% differential, which barely covers the tax difference.

Old 07-23-2013, 08:20 PM

616 posts, read 1,113,519 times
Here is the next installment of the same thing. Atlanta not getting any breaks with these folks.

Are the Suburbs Where the American Dream Goes to Die? - Matthew O'Brien - The Atlantic

Old 07-23-2013, 08:26 PM

5,845 posts, read 6,161,287 times
I was just about to start a thread with this story.

It's very interesting that all we hear about the northeast is "taxes, taxes, taxes." Taxes are only a piece of the puzzle. A more accurate view involves the total cost of living--groceries, gas, utilities, basic conveniences, taxes, etc.

My goal isn't to bash the South (though if I sense overwhelming resistance to brute facts, then I will not hesitate to do so). My goal is to invite people from the struggling areas of the country to consult the more nearly successful ones for anti-poverty strategies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta