Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2014, 06:41 AM

3,744 posts, read 4,759,775 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deluusions View Post
Did I say VA had any world class cities? No. It's obvious that you went through my post to just come up with a weak comeback. Are you in your feelings?

Btw I was born in DC a world class city not Virginia
Please lol. The only real world class city in the USA is NYC and DC is nowhere near NYC level.

Last edited by afdinatl; 11-14-2014 at 06:53 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2014, 07:19 AM

1,833 posts, read 2,336,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afdinatl View Post
Please lol. The only real world class city in the USA is NYC and DC is nowhere near NYC level.
World class cities in the US: NYC, SF, LA, DC, Chicago

Atlanta is not in the same league with any of these cities

You obviously don't know what world class means. It's clear that you were offended that I said Atlanta wasn't a world class city, I don't understand why you are offended when I only stated the obvious. You took my comment too personally. Seems like you are upset with that fact that it's true, well I wasn't putting down Atlanta at all I was only referring to the earlier post.

Old 11-14-2014, 07:35 AM

3,744 posts, read 4,759,775 times
Quote:

You obviously don't know what world class means. It's clear that you were offended that I said Atlanta wasn't a world class city, I don't understand why youLA re offended when I only stated the obvious. You took my comment too personally. Seems like you are upset with that fact that it's true, well I wasn't putting down Atlanta at all I was only referring to the earlier post.
REAL world class cities have 24/7 heavy rail, world class restaurants, etc. DC restaurant scene is lacking severally, nightlife is lacking with a 1:30 weekday last call, mediocre shopping, etc. Don't be mad that DC is lacking in many categories. Im not putting DC down but it doesnt compare to NYC, LA or San Fran. DC will never be in the class with Tokyo, Paris, London, etc. I'm done with this topic. The moral of the story is DC will never be NYC

Old 11-14-2014, 08:13 AM

Quote:
REAL world class cities have 24/7 heavy rail, world class restaurants, etc. DC restaurant scene is lacking severally, nightlife is lacking with a 1:30 weekday last call, mediocre shopping, etc. Don't be mad that DC is lacking in many categories. Im not putting DC down but it doesnt compare to NYC, LA or San Fran. DC will never be in the class with Tokyo, Paris, London, etc. I'm done with this topic. The moral of the story is DC will never be NYC
Did I ever say DC was in the same league as NYC?! No. There are different tiers when it comes to world class cities. LA and SF aren't even the same league as NYC. NYC is tiered with Tokyo, London and Paris. SF and LA are tiered together than DC and Chicago are tiered to together. Yes the DC food scene is bad but DC still has better transit than SF, LA, and Chicago. DC has a better economy than LA and Chicago. Each US world class city besides NYC lacks in something. You still have to understand DC used to be the murder capital just until to the 2000s when it reinvented itself. So nice try. Btw Chicago doesn't have 24/7 rail all the way but it's still world class. LA, SF, and Chicago will never be NYC but they're still world class, so poor argument on your part

So please explain.... Why are you so offended? You do realize you're the one who started this right? Honestly, all I said was Atlanta isn't world class which is TRUE. You took is SO personally that you took the time to go through my post and see where I'm from. You do realize I wasn't putting down Atlanta? All I stated was the truth and YOU took it personally. Yet your done with this topic because you can't finish it? How mature, grow up

Last edited by Deluusions; 11-14-2014 at 08:23 AM..

Old 11-14-2014, 09:00 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,218,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jstreets6 View Post
There's nothing to do outside of Phillips/GA Dome, oh wait, let's walk past that CNN building and ride the Ferris wheel for the hundredth time. Oh what fun!
You need to try harder, or take a few steps away from 1997.

Since you seem to be focused only on "attractions" there's also the College Football Hall of Fame, World of Coke, Georgia Aquarium, and the Civil Rights Museum. There's Centennial Park, the Tabernacle, the Sundial, CNN Studio Tour, etc.

None of these things make Atlanta particularly unique, or define what Atlanta is all about, but the same can be said about any city. Sports teams exist in most large cities, and most sports events are largely interchangeable.

Old 11-14-2014, 12:19 PM

779 posts, read 1,003,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jstreets6 View Post
Broke? Because I expect more out of a public transportation system for a city that is in the top ten metropolitan area in this country?

It's the narrow-mindedness of this area and people like yourself that equate using public transportation with low income.

Yes, I have been spoiled having left one of the best cities in this country for personal reasons and I support my significant other and the job that brought us here. I just expected more out of "the Empire City of the South."

The topic of this post: What makes Atlanta unique? Well it certainly isn't strip clubs and soul food.
Public transportation is a very expensive endeavor and only a couple of cities in the entire world cover their expenses with farebox recovery. (It isn't any city in the US) That's the reason why most cities with more recent growth aren't expanding their transit options as quickly as they did when systems like the subway in NYC and the L in Chicago were built. The exorbitant costs of building out an underground or above ground system doesn't really make it cost-effective in today's economic climate. Not to mention the costs of daily operations. Most cities have to rely on grant funding to even keep these things running.

Obviously something needs to be done to expand transit in Atlanta to make it more efficient but their lack of motion on this isn't unreasonable. I highly doubt that even NYC could build out their subway system based on today's costs and the way they would have to dig it out.

The region has grown by almost 3 million people from 1990 to 2010 and it appears that little has been done in the public transit arena in ratio to the growth. I don't know what the answer is but they do need to do something about it. Additional BRTs would make a huge difference especially running along the interstate if possible. I would think that they could easily convert the HOV lanes and it would make a bigger impact than the HOV currently does.

I agree with you that the perception of public transit equating low-income needs to be changed. When I visit NYC or Chicago, I can't wait to hop on the train and use it for the entire week. Helping the environment, relaxing and letting someone else do the driving, taking in the views.... There's nothing else like it in my opinion.

Old 11-14-2014, 01:36 PM

37,796 posts, read 41,526,758 times
Quote:

You obviously don't know what world class means. It's clear that you were offended that I said Atlanta wasn't a world class city, I don't understand why you are offended when I only stated the obvious. You took my comment too personally. Seems like you are upset with that fact that it's true, well I wasn't putting down Atlanta at all I was only referring to the earlier post.
There is no one universal definition as to what "world class" means, which is why the topic is debated so often. For instance, I think Boston is more of a "world class" city than DC, yet it doesn't make your list.

Old 11-14-2014, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
There is no one universal definition as to what "world class" means, which is why the topic is debated so often. For instance, I think Boston is more of a "world class" city than DC, yet it doesn't make your list.
Theres actually a list of alpha world class cities. I know your history of hating DC, so try again. DC beats Boston in almost every aspect besides food scene and universities.

Old 11-14-2014, 06:06 PM

22,634 posts, read 14,868,645 times
Atlanta is the one city where you might run into a lady who made herself a dress out of her mother's green velvet drapes.

Old 11-14-2014, 07:36 PM

6,208 posts, read 9,157,204 times
Quote:
LOL This bamma a$$ right here! Except for the NYC, all of those cities you just named don't even have 24/7 rail first of all (even though DC does have some 24/7 bus lines but why would you even care since you assume public transit is for low income people only?) and second of all, last call in DC is 2:00am Sundays to Wednesdays, 3am Thursdays to Saturdays, 4am Fridays and Saturdays. Nice try but you're gonna have to do better than that Don't be mad that Deluusions called you out on your garbage. It's a world class city whether you like it or not. In the meantime, this thread is about ATL.

And do your research before you respond.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta