Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2007, 10:47 PM

6 posts, read 39,516 times

Advertisements

Can anyone please tell me what they know about Douglasville. I am considering moving this summer, Can't take NJ anymore. I have 4 kids
( Teenagers ) has anyone had this experiance / How did the kids adjust.

Please Need info.

Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2007, 09:56 AM

642 posts, read 2,211,474 times
I can't help you that much as I still live in Jersey for now but one thing I can tell you about Douglasville is that it's still one of the developing areas and new home construction is everywhere and by and large the homes are more moderate in price than in other locales. We looked at a lot of houses in that area last Summer and came away quite impresses from that perspective. That is to say without researching the schools, commuting and such.

Even my brother-in-law who has lived in Atlanta metro for 24 years with my sister recommended that area for us.

Old 01-24-2007, 08:42 AM

45 posts, read 164,638 times
Default Just made the same move

I been here since July 2006. I came from NJ, too. Sorry, I can't really tell you much about Douglasville but, Kayrob is right there is a lot of new construction. I can tell you that Douglasville is close to interstate 20 which I believe has alot of traffic but, most areas do in Georgia. There aren't many back roads like NJ.
I got teenagers 18 & 13. They will hate you at first but, they will adjust. Once they start school, they'll make friends. Do they like sports or cheerleading? Football is big here. Schools are sub-standard to NJ schools so, it's really important to pick an area based on the best schools. I went to greatschools.net to help me narrow down my search. I am told the best county for schools are Fayette( homes are a little pricey), Cobb(East or West. West which is a little more affordable and you may be able to get new or newer construction) and Henry(that's where I live, go for Eagle's Landing or Union Grove schools). I find that it is easier to commute from south of Atlanta rather than north of Atlanta.
It's a big adjustment! No italian hot dogs, no bagels, and no shore. I am still homesick but, in the end you just can't beat the cost of living. Hope it helps.

Old 01-24-2007, 10:34 AM

426 posts, read 2,316,398 times
Yea, if schools are a major concern for you, Douglassville will cease to be an option. So many other districts in Metro Atlanta offer better schools. For areas with new homes between the 200s and 300s with better schools than Buckhead check out Fayetteville, Stockbridge, and Tyrone. All are on the southside which would, as the previous poster mentioned, offer a better commute than living on the northside trying to get into downtown.

Old 01-24-2007, 10:53 AM

185 posts, read 751,772 times
Smile Acworth (Cobb County)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtrac View Post
Can anyone please tell me what they know about Douglasville. I am considering moving this summer, Can't take NJ anymore. I have 4 kids
( Teenagers ) has anyone had this experiance / How did the kids adjust.

Please Need info.

Thank you
I have a niece living in Acworth - says the school system is good there. She has 2 children, 9 & 13. I'm from NJ also......been here since Oct. 2004.....still a culture shock. Cheaper living....yes. Best to you.

Old 01-25-2007, 12:09 PM

1 posts, read 10,202 times
I moved to the ATL in 1992. I specfically moved to Douglasville in 2001. I lived in Atlanta(Fulton), McDonough(Henry County), and Marietta (Cobb County). I choose Douglasville for several reasons. As you go west on I-20 toward Alabama, housing is cheaper and the lots are bigger. At the time douglasville was growing, but not at the pace it is now. There is construction everywhere. It has a great country feel with big city convience. There is a top rated Wellstar hosp, a good library, aquatic center (sorry no 'Y'), beautiful public parks, good recreation department, several gyms, an excellent mid scale mall with tons of satellite shops, and almost every resturant known to man.
The city is served by the police and the sherrif's dept depending on whether you are in the city limits. City services are great. Water/sewer, electric, gas are all competitive rates although there are lots of homes on septic and several are emc members. City govt is typical of a small town. Good old boys looking out for each other. The race issue has a very good balance. Lots of mixed neighborhoods and opportunity for everyone. Everyone is represented in this city, black, white, hispanic, asian and indian.
The schools will vary in quality dependent on where in town you live. Chapel Hill is a top rated system but North Douglas is lesser quality. A better school system in the area is in Hiram and Paulding county which northeast of Douglasville.

Housing prices are in the mid 120's for exisiting construction and 140's on up for new. It all depends on how much you want to spend. There are million dollar neighborhoods in town and gated communities and there are projects.

The job market is in Atlanta and beyond. thats traveling back east on I-20. The commute is not good, but the commute from anywhere outside of Atlanta proper is not good. Henry county is the southside and its bad coming up I-75. Cobb county is a little better, but anytime you have to get on I-285 btwn 7 & 9 am and 4 & 6 pm - its pretty much understood you will be in traffic. There aren't many shortcuts or side roads like in Jersey. Everyplace is over the interstate and a good distance away unless you remain in your immediate community. Douglasville is great for that - all you need is right where you are.

Public transportation is not good. Atlanta has MARTA, but it primarily serves Atlanta and not the surrounding cities or counties. Douglasville has no public transportation except for a bus that runs M - F to and from the mall and main train station in downtown Atlanta. From there you can get to lots of points by train and bus within Atlanta. Taxis are expensive.

If your kids like sports there a lot of things for them. Soccer, baseball, football, cheerleading, basketball.

The tax rate is high compared to towns further west, but much lower than Fulton County and Cobb. Be prepared to pay ad valorem on your car and 25$ for emission inspection every year. We don't have total vehicle inspection like at home.

If you want quiet, slow, peaceful living this is the place. There are no clubs - gotta go to Atlanta and even then everything closes early. The only all nighters are Krystal (fake White Castle) and Waffle House. Before you make the move check out further west, like Villa Rica, Temple, and Carrollton to see if they might be better suited to you.

I love Douglasville, but feel it is growing too fast - but then where isn't. Its a beautiful city and has got some great homes. I don't feel the town will lose its small town feel if you choose where to live carefully.

If you like you can call me for some other insights on being a transported Jerseyan. Lots of adjustments if you love the shore, bagels and the Yankees!
Moderator cut: removed

Best of Luck - La Tanja

Last edited by xxman777; 01-25-2007 at 03:28 PM.. Reason: Personal Info

Old 02-18-2007, 07:35 PM

1 posts, read 10,147 times
Default Moving from NJ

The Newnan (Coweta Co) and Fayetteville ( Fayette Co) areas are great.
The best schools, Northgate HS in Newnan and then Whitewater HS in Fayetteville. You are only 30 mins S of Downtown ATL and the airport. And it's the best commute of any other area. A good site I use for School info is www.schoolmatters.com, just type in the city name and it will pull up all the schools for that area. Let me know if you have any questions.

Old 02-16-2011, 08:42 AM

2 posts, read 7,680 times
do anyone know about atlanta georgia? im trying to move down their soon

Old 02-16-2011, 08:45 AM

8,862 posts, read 17,395,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tierra856 View Post
How strange.

You will need to be more specific.

Old 02-16-2011, 12:16 PM

1,325 posts, read 2,631,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tierra856 View Post
You will get more responses if you create a new thread and provide specifics (i.e budget, house vs condo vs apartment, safe area, access to transit, traffic and so on).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta