Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2008, 11:11 PM

1,755 posts, read 5,681,397 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GF72 View Post
what?....

[EDIT: You should know, there are such things as non-white rednecks. I've met both black and asian rednecks. Redneck is just a lifestyle]
No there's not, unless you're talking about the one asian guy comedian from Texas who dresses up and claims himself as such. That's not what these people reference.

It most directly relates to 'Whites', i.e. the term 'Red' + 'Neck'. Blacks/Asians/Hispanics/etc don't exactly get the sun burn where whites do as what the term relates to.

I'm born in raised in the burbs (used to be farms), went to school downtown, live back in the burbs now, work downtown, I'm a minority at my workplace, and not once have I heard someone other than 'white' referred to as 'redneck'. Please point out all black/mexican/hispanic/asian/indian/etc 'rednecks'

Again, the reason for my wiki reference.

You and atlgreg can spin all you want but that's how I feel and I'm from here. Yes, I'm sure you have your occasional Southern black that is referenced that way but it's not the norm. They're 'country' not 'rednecks'.

Last edited by gt6974a; 08-26-2008 at 11:20 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2008, 12:21 AM

481 posts, read 2,822,176 times
even though rednecks are traditionally white, that doesn't make them a race, just a group within a race.

Certain white people, depending on their lifestyle, are called rednecks.

If that somehow constitutes a race, I suppose Native Americans living on reservations in their traditional lifestyle are somehow a different race than Native Americans living assimilated among modern American civilization without regard to their heritage?

Of course this is all moot because there's no such thing as race but whatever.....

Old 08-27-2008, 09:11 AM

8,057 posts, read 12,859,079 times
In this day of PC language, our old terms of defining ourselves and others so as to find our own place or "fit" in society at large have had to get re-thunk, but the basic human propensity to do such is always going to be a part us.

I would offer that we all fall to that old blind trick of making ourselves feel better about our own station in life, not be being proactive and bettering ourselves, but by knocking anyone or everyone around us down a notch or two. If we are of a different race, the skin color is easiest to attack since it is what we see first. If we are the same race, we criticize the education, religion or politics of another. I say all forms of racism, bigotry and other forms of hate (the PC term today) is in essence a fruit of pride, not the good kind of pride (proud of my kids, my school, etc) but that deadly sin version of pride -- self centeredness and putting myself above others even if it means tearing another down.

Now that my sermonette is complete, the term redneck was not invented as a racist term; it was coined by the more elite southern white to elevate himself above the more common uneducated white who worked outdoors and thus had a red neck from the sunburn. It isn't racist in its origin, but it still has a negative evilness to it, in that it is a way one makes himself feel superior by degrading another. Same root as racism, but can't be considered racist. If another race uses the term, it doesn't carry the same meaning and emotional baggage.

By the way, ATLGreg, we are really off the original thread now and in a humorous punching you in the ribs way, I must say you are complicit in this

Old 08-27-2008, 09:28 AM

9,191 posts, read 33,883,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
By the way, ATLGreg, we are really off the original thread now and in a humorous punching you in the ribs way, I must say you are complicit in this
Well, so far, I've allowed it all and have even do a degree participated in it, because indirectly it does relate to the OP in a way - it shows someone from California via the conversations, exactly HOW different of an environment it is here compared to the West Coast. Maybe enough to make them realize that California isn't as bad as they think. LOL

One of the other moderators of course can feel free to shut this down if it gets too off base for them. I'll do it myself, if it gets much more out of control. But we do sometimes forget that our country is over 3000 miles wide and other than the fact we share the same language and TV networks, you really might as well be in a different country/culture when you move from the West coast to the South - sometimes rantings like all of this do help folks figure out the mentality of the folks here (for good or bad).

Old 08-27-2008, 09:49 AM

11,334 posts, read 26,083,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdatl View Post
is he truly from Atlanta? I personally do not know anyone with attitudes like his. I pose that question, because on the Internet, you never know. A few years ago, I used to read and sometimes post in a usenet newsgroup named atl.general. I ended up leaving because it was full of racist crap.
I still peruse atl.general from time to time, and it's a dumping ground for silly and/or extreme postings. Sadly. Of the 80-90 USENET and private nntp newsgroups I still read on a regular basis, it's near the bottom in terms of STN ratio.

Scraper obviously knows the Mableton area rather well, so I think he's a native.

Old 08-27-2008, 10:00 AM

8,057 posts, read 12,859,079 times
Well, ATLGreg, I must eat my words a bit, I was thinking I was posting in the thread from the guy from Poland moving to Atlanta, you did reprimand us there as that thread started turning to the race issue as well. This OP's original thread started with the race issue and its lingering effect in the south, so here we weren't off line. I stand corrected.

I'm really enjoying this site and posting and replying in different threads, I just forgot where I was!

Old 09-12-2008, 02:28 PM

1 posts, read 1,828 times
My family moved here from the Midwest, which in my opinion, is at least as racist as Georgia's reputation seems to indicate to many of the participants in this topic. I grew up in Arkansas, and my husband is from South America. I cannot begin to tell you how much more comfortable we have felt living in Georgia than we ever did in Springfield or Kansas City, Missouri! The weather is beautiful and most people are friendly and genuinely kind. Having grown up in the South, I know that part of this "niceness" is simply "southern hospitality" - cliche, but true. It doesn't mean that people actually are all that open-minded, unfortunately, still our experience here has shown us that there are nice people and racists everywhere. It IS sometimes difficult finding like-minded people. This state is heavily conservative. Our family is liberal. I still have hope in my heart that people can change, and that we personally can help make a difference! Let's face it, it is more comfortable living around other like-minded people, but we do live in Gainesville, because that's where my job is. Even in Gainesville, there are some open-minded people, but there are also Klansmen, if you can believe that. Personally I work in a sea of right-wing evangelical Republicans and it is difficult sometimes, but you never know when someone might change his mind because of you!

Old 09-12-2008, 05:46 PM

313 posts, read 1,148,921 times
Default Can a GA conservative be happy in liberal CA??

I dont care about the abundance of Pacific ocean in my backyard, or the varied topography ranging from beachside cliffs, to canyons, to forests with prehistoric mammoth trees, to jagged mountain ranges, to deep blue lakes, vast desert lands and wine country. And let's not forget the gadzillion theme parks all about. Okay that IS quite a list...and for the most part the folks here once you past the superficial lot ( and there ARE ALOT of those), can be decent....it just takes awhile( like yrs) to find them. Being here is like being in a vacation destination all the time. Folks dont worry about much of anything.

The first few months being here was very surreal. Now throw in trying to raise kids in a very carefree environment that doesnt embrace anything but the popular culture....and it so very different from the God-centered-going-to-church-every-Sunday existence of my youth in small town GA. THAT doesnt exist around in my neck of the woods...I think those folks maybe down in orange county. It is almost scary that most folks here kinda noncommital about their faith.

CA is a beautiful state....I am blessed to be able to spend time here and see the beauty. As soon as our time is up...I am headed back HOME to GA where I belong...close to family...and close to those who embrace their faith. The food is better and kind, genuine people arent as hard to find. I value the geniune relationships in my life far more than the incredible vacation destination that surrounds me.

I have enjoyed the many moves to different places over the yrs and have embraced the experiences....but coming to CA has pushed me over the edge with how different it is from other places....not just the south where I am from, but the northeast, the midwest and even the southwest...I have lived in all these places....and nothing compares to the isolating experience and trying to maintain your beliefs, faith and raise your kids right and not being able to have a support system around in the way of friends. And I'm the weird one because I NOT following the crowd....it is so isolating. It goes against my nature to be isolated, because I AM a southerner who loves to chat. Everyone here is so consumed in themselves that if you do speak to them, they ignore you because they arent used to strangers just speaking to others just to be nice.

I never thought I would have to work so hard to find normal people....just go the LA forum and the sentiment is shared by many. I'll take the rednecks and bible thumpers anyday over this...no offense...but at least they are REAL.

To answer my question....NO....CA is great place to visit, but not to live unless you are independantly wealthy. And that is a whole other subject on how expensive it is here. I'm done now.

Old 09-12-2008, 06:10 PM

321 posts, read 1,119,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runnergrl View Post
I dont care about the abundance of Pacific ocean in my backyard, or the varied topography ranging from beachside cliffs, to canyons, to forests with prehistoric mammoth trees, to jagged mountain ranges, to deep blue lakes, vast desert lands and wine country. And let's not forget the gadzillion theme parks all about. Okay that IS quite a list...and for the most part the folks here once you past the superficial lot ( and there ARE ALOT of those), can be decent....it just takes awhile( like yrs) to find them. Being here is like being in a vacation destination all the time. Folks dont worry about much of anything.

The first few months being here was very surreal. Now throw in trying to raise kids in a very carefree environment that doesnt embrace anything but the popular culture....and it so very different from the God-centered-going-to-church-every-Sunday existence of my youth in small town GA. THAT doesnt exist around in my neck of the woods...I think those folks maybe down in orange county. It is almost scary that most folks here kinda noncommital about their faith.

CA is a beautiful state....I am blessed to be able to spend time here and see the beauty. As soon as our time is up...I am headed back HOME to GA where I belong...close to family...and close to those who embrace their faith. The food is better and kind, genuine people arent as hard to find. I value the geniune relationships in my life far more than the incredible vacation destination that surrounds me.

I have enjoyed the many moves to different places over the yrs and have embraced the experiences....but coming to CA has pushed me over the edge with how different it is from other places....not just the south where I am from, but the northeast, the midwest and even the southwest...I have lived in all these places....and nothing compares to the isolating experience and trying to maintain your beliefs, faith and raise your kids right and not being able to have a support system around in the way of friends. And I'm the weird one because I NOT following the crowd....it is so isolating. It goes against my nature to be isolated, because I AM a southerner who loves to chat. Everyone here is so consumed in themselves that if you do speak to them, they ignore you because they arent used to strangers just speaking to others just to be nice.

I never thought I would have to work so hard to find normal people....just go the LA forum and the sentiment is shared by many. I'll take the rednecks and bible thumpers anyday over this...no offense...but at least they are REAL.

To answer my question....NO....CA is great place to visit, but not to live unless you are independantly wealthy. And that is a whole other subject on how expensive it is here. I'm done now.
Thank goodness you're finished! Ya know after reading this post of yours ... [BTW on a month-old thread, sorry ] ...

I really thought you were speaking of GEORGIA and the Southeast.

Are you SURE you're in California? WOW, you really TOOK THE WORDS RIGHT OUT OF MY MOUTH! My feelings exactly about Georgia! Thank you!

I'm so very, very, very, very, very sorry for you and your family. I'll keep you in my prayers.

Old 09-12-2008, 06:43 PM

313 posts, read 1,148,921 times
Yeah...I didnt realize the original post was old....however it caught my attn because the response before mine was today which showed it being current....and I felt compelled to give my side from the opposite view point. I am a Georgian living in southern CA for nearly 3 yrs now. I come home to GA for a few weeks during the summer to be REAL and remember where I came from.

Thanks for compassion....I know whenever I do whatever I'm supposed to do here....(think Californians need a good ole fashioned revivial??? hmmm, I dont know., lol.) I know we will get back home eventually....I am at peace knowing it will be okay. Thank you again for your prayers. You dont have to feel sorry for me....I'm okay....It isnt horrible place to be....I sure it could be worse! As I said before...I am more valuing the genuine relationships with family and friends over the beauty of the state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta