Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2008, 09:11 AM

63 posts, read 215,255 times

Advertisements

We just sold our condo in Smyrna and are looking for a house.. we have been looking in East Cobb but our money doesn't go as far. We are looking for something in the 250-275 range. I know about the great east cobb schools, our son is just 1 year old right now.

Can anyone give me info on Woodstock? Best schools best areas... I've heard about the Town Lake area..?? My husband nor I have to drive to work everyday so the comute is not an issue.. any info or suggestions??? A nice neighboorhood is very important to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2008, 10:07 AM

9,124 posts, read 36,373,754 times
There's tons of great subdivisions in your price range in Woodstock, as well as in the adjacent towns of Canton and Holly Springs (we live in Holly Springs). Overall, you'll find the schools to be very good- while some folks make it seem that there's no school on earth better than the East Cobb schools, the percentages between those schools and most Cherokee County schools are trivial at best.

I wouldn't get too wrapped around the axle over which elementary school is better than which at this point- they're all very good, and the district borders shift as the population changes anyway- if you buy in an area zoned for school "A" today, in four years when your kids are ready for school they may be zoned to school "B" anyway. That's the way it is with the high schools by me right now- our kids are supposed to go to the two-year-old Creekland HS, but there's a new HS on Arnold Mill being built that will free up space in Sequoyah HS, so by the time my kids get to HS (another 4 years), they may end up at Sequoyah, they may still go to Creekland, or they may go to the new HS- who knows. I'd select your new home based on the subdivision itself, the surrounding amenities, etc- you'll be OK with whatever school you end up in if you're in Cherokee County, IMO.

Towne Lake is a nice area, but it's too overbuilt for our liking. We went another 4-5 miles north into Holly Springs because their comprehensive plan is geared more toward controlled growth. We're still close to everything we need, but it's nice to see cows and horses in the fields on the drive to school. Will it be that way in 10 years? Maybe not to the extent it is now, but if the plan is followed, it'll still have a much more semi-rural feel to it than Towne Lake.

Old 09-22-2008, 12:26 PM

6 posts, read 13,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
There's tons of great subdivisions in your price range in Woodstock, as well as in the adjacent towns of Canton and Holly Springs (we live in Holly Springs). Overall, you'll find the schools to be very good- while some folks make it seem that there's no school on earth better than the East Cobb schools, the percentages between those schools and most Cherokee County schools are trivial at best.

I wouldn't get too wrapped around the axle over which elementary school is better than which at this point- they're all very good, and the district borders shift as the population changes anyway- if you buy in an area zoned for school "A" today, in four years when your kids are ready for school they may be zoned to school "B" anyway. That's the way it is with the high schools by me right now- our kids are supposed to go to the two-year-old Creekland HS, but there's a new HS on Arnold Mill being built that will free up space in Sequoyah HS, so by the time my kids get to HS (another 4 years), they may end up at Sequoyah, they may still go to Creekland, or they may go to the new HS- who knows. I'd select your new home based on the subdivision itself, the surrounding amenities, etc- you'll be OK with whatever school you end up in if you're in Cherokee County, IMO.

Towne Lake is a nice area, but it's too overbuilt for our liking. We went another 4-5 miles north into Holly Springs because their comprehensive plan is geared more toward controlled growth. We're still close to everything we need, but it's nice to see cows and horses in the fields on the drive to school. Will it be that way in 10 years? Maybe not to the extent it is now, but if the plan is followed, it'll still have a much more semi-rural feel to it than Towne Lake.
What would the commute to Alpharetta be like from any of these places?
Thanks
M

Old 09-22-2008, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MnCS View Post
What would the commute to Alpharetta be like from any of these places?
Thanks
M
Depends on where you're going in Alpharetta, but in general it's a pretty messy commute because there's not a multi-lane road that'll take you East/West. During rush hour, you could spend an hour crawling along on two-lane roads to get across Cherokee County.

Old 09-22-2008, 02:34 PM

6 posts, read 13,156 times
Quote:
Depends on where you're going in Alpharetta, but in general it's a pretty messy commute because there's not a multi-lane road that'll take you East/West. During rush hour, you could spend an hour crawling along on two-lane roads to get across Cherokee County.

Where my husband would be working is on Mansell Rd, between 400 and Haynes Bridge Rd (according to Google Maps )
We like the rural/wooded areas, where else would you suggest? We also have a high school football player to factor in.
Thanks for any ideas/suggestions

M

Old 09-23-2008, 04:53 AM

I'd look in Alpharetta or Roswell. Mansell Road is one of the most painful drives in the area (Holcomb Bridge Road probably being the worst) during rush hour, so the less time you can spend on it, the better. It's bad enough that you'll spend time sitting on it if you're commuting from Alpharetta or Roswell- no use adding 30 minutes meandering along one-lane of 140 to get to Mansell from Woodstock.

Old 09-24-2008, 04:26 AM

1,178 posts, read 3,834,518 times
Quote:

Where are you seeing these "Cows", for the only place in Holly Springs that I Can think of would be Cagle Dairies, but even they might be considered Canton.

Old 09-24-2008, 04:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scraper Enthusiast View Post
Where are you seeing these "Cows", for the only place in Holly Springs that I Can think of would be Cagle Dairies, but even they might be considered Canton.
There are several parcels of land along Hickory Road that have horses and cows in their fields, with Cagle's being only one of them. You question this as if I'm lying about it or something, which is actually kind of funny. Maybe you need to either get out more, or pay closer attention to your surroundings before you start asking questions...

Old 09-24-2008, 09:16 AM

49 posts, read 166,556 times
We live in Towne Lake. The schools are great...there is golf and tennis...swim teams...I hardly have to leave the area...and we are supposed to get The Avenues next year on the other side of 575.

Greatschools.net will give you good info on the area elementary schools. I think Bascomb and Woodstock are the only in towne lake proper.

We love it. We got a good sized lot - 3/4 acre, wooded.....I think it's very pretty up here. It's definitely suburbs.....not for people who are looking for nightlife, LOL. But we have found it friendly.

Old 09-24-2008, 03:48 PM

1,178 posts, read 3,834,518 times
Quote:
There are several parcels of land along Hickory Road that have horses and cows in their fields, with Cagle's being only one of them. You question this as if I'm lying about it or something, which is actually kind of funny. Maybe you need to either get out more, or pay closer attention to your surroundings before you start asking questions...
I live nearby, so that is why I asked.

I've seen a few open fields along Hickory Road, but the area is mostly developed with subdivisions, as opposed to non-developed. Cagle dairies sits on an adjacent street. Other than Cagle dairies, I haven't seen any cows.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta