Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-12-2009, 01:52 PM

2 posts, read 2,696 times

Advertisements

Okay so here's the deal.. I'm a 24 yr old New Yorker. Currently a working student. I'm at the time in my life where I'd like to branch out from family. Becoming fully independent and even explore a new city. After two weeks in Atlanta with friends a part of me would love to move there. Cheap real estate, slower pace and honestly... a new environment. More than anything else NYC is a touch city. Too tough ... there's a huge lack of afforable apartments ( unless u don't mind bad neighborhoods.)
So Im considering saving a little more and preparing for a move in about a year. I currently work in the airlines and figured I'd switch to an Atlanta based company like AirTran or Delta/NWA. Unfortunately my parents ar deceased so theres not much family.
If anyone can please tell me what I may expect. As a new resident of Atlanta ... Good neighborhoods, art and nightlife scence
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2009, 01:56 PM

1,273 posts, read 4,418,969 times
Find a job first. Delta is the main employer and is going through a restructuring process to complete its merger with Northwest, which generally means more layoffs and transfers than new hiring. Atlanta's economy isn't in the greatest shape, but I do imagine it is better than New York's.

Old 11-12-2009, 02:02 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,805,239 times
Can you keep your airline job and transfer to Atlanta or commute from Atlanta? That would be a good option...

It's easy to acclimate to Atlanta if you're gay. People are very friendly here and there is a decent nightlife that is concentrated around Midtown/Downtown. You're right, life is tough in NYC, and you'll enjoy the change of scenery Atlanta has to offer.

Old 11-12-2009, 02:37 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,081,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by US-Traveller View Post
Find a job first. Delta is the main employer and is going through a restructuring process to complete its merger with Northwest, which generally means more layoffs and transfers than new hiring. Atlanta's economy isn't in the greatest shape, but I do imagine it is better than New York's.
Unemployment was 10.3% in New York City in September 2009 and 10.5% in the Atlanta metro. The two are pretty similar, actually.

The airline industry as a whole is fairly tough to break into (or transfer around in) right now, but of course that depends on what you know and who you know as well, and on your specific job function and skillset. Get a job first before moving, though. You'll hear that over and over again, and there's a reason for it ... temporary "holdover" jobs in the Atlanta metro are quite saturated, and there are a lot of local people looking for work, so you probably won't be able to find much to tide you over until Delta or Airtran decide to hire you.

Last edited by rcsteiner; 11-12-2009 at 04:03 PM.. Reason: I typoed Delta's name. Oops! :-)

Old 11-12-2009, 03:03 PM

927 posts, read 2,225,785 times
After securing a job, #1 piece of advice is tapping into some sort of network. I cannot say that enough for potential newcomers. It will make your transition MUCH easier. That is common advice I would give anyone moving into any new city, but this is just as important, if not moreso, in Atlanta.

The majority of our metro population lives in the suburbs and people are a bit more isolated. You might become friends with co-workers but they are more likely to live miles and miles away from you than be close enough to regularly hang out. With that, it would be helpful to save up for a car. If you decide to live in the city but have acquaintances with people outside the city, our public transpo will not easily get you there. You can make do without a car if you live in an urban neighborhood, but it is highly suggested you have one.

Atlanta is a hotspot for the LGBT community, and uniquely, especially for black LGBT folks. It seems there's a PRIDE weekend all the time, so LGBTers definitely represent hard in Atlanta. Midtown would be the best hood for what you're looking for. It's the center of LGBT life, and has the most bars, restaurants, culture, and art scene than any other nabe in the city.

It's always important to just know what you're dealing with. And if you plan accordingly, your life will be swell down here :-) Good luck to you!

Old 11-12-2009, 05:11 PM

2 posts, read 2,696 times
Thanks so far and in advance. Will surely secure the career and vehicle first. Thanks for advice ....... Honest advice
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta