Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2008, 07:03 PM

171 posts, read 663,774 times

Advertisements

Crime happens everywhere in America, no neighborhood is entirely immune from it and neither are the neighborhoods of metro Atlanta. Because we don't hear about New England's crimes all that often over here in U.S. that doesn't mean crime not happening there. You have to be aware of your surroundings anywhere you go. You're family is not going to be spray with bullets in your driveway or while driving down a street in Atlanta. Many of the neighborhoods in Midtown, Decatur, Buckhead, so on, are Crime Watch Neighborhoods. You can get a in-home security system (if there isn't one already) install in the home that you decide to purchase for added security and well being for your family while you're away at work to put your mind at ease. Like other posters have mention, keep your valuables out of site (including portable GPS system) in your vehicle, keep doors and windows lock to your house while your away. Bad areas of Atlanta shouldn't worry you since you're have no business nor interest of being in those areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2008, 12:27 AM
VJP

721 posts, read 1,727,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scraper Enthusiast View Post
.....that has a Decatur zip code, though not in the actual city limits.

Yet, even within the city limits, the southern part of the city has its share of crime.
And this is where I live...off of 2nd. Outside and closer to the perimeter it gets a bit nastier. Most of the crime around here is petty that can be prevented with some common sense. Again, close to town, quiet, gentrifying, but still stragglers here and there....it'll take a while no doubt. We are indeed in a neighborhood watch program with great vigilance on part of the residents. The county PD has done us well so far as running off the riff raff.

I'd recommend you come check it out before moving in any of these areas if the trepidation due to crime is so great for you. You may be put off by just seeing the litter on the streets and randoms walking around...

Old 08-07-2008, 01:03 AM

321 posts, read 1,119,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pcola110 View Post
You're family is not going to be sprayed with bullets in your driveway or while driving down a street in Atlanta.
Huh? You're kidding I sincerely hope? City of Atlanta is 2nd in the nation to Detroit in violent crimes. PEOPLE ARE gunned down all the time even in broad daylight.

I lived "intown" Jul91-Nov92. I was robbed at gunpoint in front of the grocery store (Big Star) at 9pm on a Thursday, mugged in Piedmont Park at 3pm on a Sunday afternoon (after Mass) and my car was broken into twice (windows smashed) close to where I lived near Piedmont & Monroe.

I would like to find the City of Atlanta crime statistics once again which breaks down the type of crime, within each zip code. AT THAT TIME, I read that [Piedmont & Monroe] was the most dangerous place in the City of Atlanta. Maybe they don't publish that anymore?

I had more crimes committed against myself and my property in the City of Atlanta in 18mo than 36 years living in Los Angeles and San Francisco.

My current neighborhood in NE Cobb / Roswell? ... ONE incident of "teenage vandalism" in almost 17 years of residence.

Please be realistic. People must take extra, then some EXTRA precaution in the City of Atlanta. Telling anyone anything different is simply not right.

Last edited by rswlguy; 08-07-2008 at 01:12 AM..

Old 08-07-2008, 08:43 AM

171 posts, read 663,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rswlguy View Post
Huh? You're kidding I sincerely hope? City of Atlanta is 2nd in the nation to Detroit in violent crimes. PEOPLE ARE gunned down all the time even in broad daylight.

I lived "intown" Jul91-Nov92. I was robbed at gunpoint in front of the grocery store (Big Star) at 9pm on a Thursday, mugged in Piedmont Park at 3pm on a Sunday afternoon (after Mass) and my car was broken into twice (windows smashed) close to where I lived near Piedmont & Monroe.

I would like to find the City of Atlanta crime statistics once again which breaks down the type of crime, within each zip code. AT THAT TIME, I read that [Piedmont & Monroe] was the most dangerous place in the City of Atlanta. Maybe they don't publish that anymore?

I had more crimes committed against myself and my property in the City of Atlanta in 18mo than 36 years living in Los Angeles and San Francisco.

My current neighborhood in NE Cobb / Roswell? ... ONE incident of "teenage vandalism" in almost 17 years of residence.

Please be realistic. People must take extra, then some EXTRA precaution in the City of Atlanta. Telling anyone anything different is simply not right.
Unfortunately, you've been a victim of crime and so have other individuals at that time and place that crime happen against them, whether that's thru robbery with or without a firearm, petty theft, grand theft and so on. Everyday living, probability of a person being spray with bullets or spot in their driveway is very, very low, unless they happen to be the victim (aftermath) of crime committed. Go get some counseling, you're obviously living in fear as after affect from your incident.

Old 08-07-2008, 08:52 AM

2,642 posts, read 8,257,678 times
Not to mention it's been 10 years since you lived there...a lot has changed.

Old 08-07-2008, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pcola110 View Post
Unfortunately, you've been a victim of crime and so have other individuals at that time and place that crime happen against them, whether that's thru robbery with or without a firearm, petty theft, grand theft and so on. Everyday living, probability of a person being spray with bullets or spot in their driveway is very, very low, unless they happen to be the victim (aftermath) of crime committed. Go get some counseling, you're obviously living in fear as after affect from your incident.
Thank you most kindly for your concern and yes, I did and it took several years to heal the scars (some physical) of those incidents with the aid of a professional.

Sadly some locations associated with incidents are irrevocably ingrained ... even from as long as 1991. Very much appreciate your thoughts and words however.

Old 08-07-2008, 09:11 AM

25 posts, read 76,138 times
Quote:
uh? You're kidding I sincerely hope? City of Atlanta is 2nd in the nation to Detroit in violent crimes. PEOPLE ARE gunned down all the time even in broad daylight.

I usually just lurk in here but felt like I needed to respond to this one since it's so off base.

You are talking about 17 years ago.
Have you been back to Piedmont & Monroe since & noticed that the bars on the windows have come down and it's now one of the nicest (& most expensive) intown areas?? I lived on Monroe in this area for the last 2.5 years and its extremely safe. Although we usually did, I hardly felt the need to lock my door living there. There are occasional instances of crime in that area, but they are mostly petty car break ins when someone does something stupid like leaving a laptop in plain view.

The majority of the people involved in the violent crimes are criminals -- when someone gets shot they're usually involved in a big drug deal gone bad, and most occur in the projects. You're probably far more likely to get in a car accident than getting shot in your driveway. Petty crime like home & car break-ins are somewhat common & are a fact of life in the city, but shouldn't be likened to "bullets being sprayed into a driveway".

As an ITP resident for the last 4 years, I find your post to be completely misleading -- it skews perceptions & gives total misinformation to people unfamiliar with the area. Maybe you should get in your car and drive back down to where you used to live before talking about it like it's still 1991.

Old 08-07-2008, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plessthanpointohfive View Post
Not to mention it's been 10 years since you lived there...a lot has changed.
Thanks .. actually I moved out of town in 1992 - 16 years ago. Do you honestly think it's gotten any better in the City of Atlanta? I personally don't believe such and statistics do support this in many aspects.

Some things simply cannot change folks and being in "denial" about certain things (crime, poverty, etc.) ... well it just doesn't substantiate what is being said currently. I DOES take a big effort to change things and they eventually WILL for Atlanta. It won't be in my lifetime however.

As a 30+ year "safety professional" [not a cop - work with them a great deal] I see a great deal of the public and it's capabilities - both good and bad. I remind people to take every precaution that is feasible. And yet at times even that is simply "not enough".

Peace, serenity and sanctuary appeal to me. I feel safe where I reside now - in NE Cobb / Roswell. Sadly that is not going to happen for me in the City of Atlanta ... today or tomorow. As they say, "Been there, done that".

Old 08-07-2008, 09:19 AM

2,642 posts, read 8,257,678 times
Whoa...he said 1991 and 1992 and I thought "10 years"....Guess I don't want to admit it's been MORE than 10 years since I graduated from high school!!!

Old 08-07-2008, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdawg24 View Post
Maybe you should get in your car and drive back down to where you used to live before talking about it like it's still 1991.
Thank you, but most definately NOT. Expensive doesn't necessarily equate to "safe".

I feel safer in New York City. Was there two weeks ago ... Rode the "E" train from Manhattan into Queens, caught a bus to where I was staying ... at 11pm.

C'mon ... don't be in denial. Once again, been there ... done that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta