U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-29-2006, 07:05 PM

3 posts, read 31,576 times

Advertisements

looking to locate to georgia next 2 years...my family and i will be coming from ny(long island) i am a nurse and i have 2 small children..i heard e.cobb/marietta are 2 good locations..can anyone advise on schools/health care job opportunities in these areas? also cost/taxes of housing in these areas??? i hear there are alot of transplanted ny's in e.cobb..thanks...
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2006, 11:28 PM

7 posts, read 51,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nancy
looking to locate to georgia next 2 years...my family and i will be coming from ny(long island) i am a nurse and i have 2 small children..i heard e.cobb/marietta are 2 good locations..can anyone advise on schools/health care job opportunities in these areas? also cost/taxes of housing in these areas??? i hear there are alot of transplanted ny's in e.cobb..thanks...
Eh, I currently live in East Cobb/Marietta. I've lived here for 15 years. It's a great suburb to have a family and wonderful schools. I'm not up on the cost/taxes of the area. But as far as healthcare/job opportunities go, there's more than enough to choose from and (my cousin is a nurse at Wellstar) I hear they're always looking for more nurses/healthcare professionals. Hope this helps. And if you have any more questions don't hesitate to ask!!

Old 02-17-2006, 07:38 PM

10 posts, read 28,933 times
You have found one of the most popular areas for relo's, Cobb county. You will also find North Gwinnett a popular choice. Both have great school systems and Gwinnett is the better real estate deal than Cobb. Both have simular tax rates about 1.5% of your purchase price per year as a rough estimate. Both have great hospital systems that are always looking for nurses.
Let me know if I can help any further.

Last edited by Marka; 02-18-2006 at 12:56 AM..

Old 01-31-2007, 06:00 PM

168 posts, read 595,972 times
Default You can't beat Cobb for taxes

Cobb/GA seems to be a magnet for people from the NE and West, as they are all over. Someone remarked to me many years ago that there seemed to be more people in Cobb "from somehwere else" than there were natives.

Taxes wind up at roughly 1% of assessed value ($3000 for a $300k home) in Cobb Co, but may be higher within incorporated cities within Cobb. I believe Cobb has a lower millage rate than any other urban county in Metro Atlanta.

One thing Cobb has going for it, is their senior tax-break. Approximately 75% of your property tax is school tax, and at 62, it comes off your bill...if you ask. The county website says "Cobb County has maintained its triple AAA rating for our General Obligation (G.O.) bonds since 1997. We are one of about 20 counties nationwide to achieve this status placing Cobb in the top 1% of counties nationwide. "

East Cobb differs from West Cobb a little bit, in that East seems more commercialized and crowded. West seems (to me) quieter, less bustling, tho there's new construction in both areas. You can expect to pay about $100k for every 1000sq ft. for a home, more for new. East Cobb prices may be higher due to supposed better schools, but there are nevertheless some very expensive areas in W.Cobb. It is also easy to find new condos/apts close to freeway and hospitals.

Old 01-31-2007, 06:19 PM

27 posts, read 166,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nancy View Post
I would avoid Cobb. Gwinnett and Forsyth would be better choices.

Old 01-31-2007, 09:29 PM

2 posts, read 6,845 times
Default Find the job first, and then move close

The traffic in the suburbs of Atlanta is horrible. I don't know how anybody commutes to the city from the 'burbs. There are so many hospitals in the metro, so find a job first, then a home. Rent until then, and then move close to the job or choose a reverse commute. Good luck!!!

Old 01-31-2007, 10:31 PM

31 posts, read 141,312 times
east cobb is the best place in metro atl, yet some other areas are really nice. there are nursing jobs everywhere, so you shouldnt have a problem. best high school districts are walton, pope, and lassiter although they are all good. used house can be had for about 280k and up while a new house will cost about 500k and up. If you are looking for at least 2800 sq ft, then you will probably need more in both of those categories.

the area used to be a lot nicer in my opinion. it's a lot busier and there is a lot more wealth around than there used to be in the area. still the best place though.

i grew up there and you won't find many people there who were born in GA.

if moving to e. cobb, i wouldnt do it only bc of cost. sure taxes are less and houses may be slightly less than long island, but the difference bt the two isnt enough to move for that reason alone in my opinion.

money shouldn't be your only reason and i actually think long island is pretty nice.

Old 02-01-2007, 02:10 PM

291 posts, read 1,293,157 times
East or West Cobb I am considering, is this a safe place to raise a child? Are the schools good? We are very conservative and prefer quiet country living with some nice places to shop. Hiking trails and outdoors is high on our list, healthy surroundings, organic food shops and a nice safe home is high on list of priorities! God bless, LFASH
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: