Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-06-2008, 08:11 AM

8,862 posts, read 17,416,650 times

Advertisements

From 'StandUpDeKalb'/8-4-08 >>>>>

A message from StandUp DeKalb:

* As seen in the AJC - Atlanta developer is proposing to build nearly 400 luxury apartments and live/work units on North Druid Hills Road, just north of the Toco Hill shopping center in central DeKalb County.

The developer, Ashkouti Development LLC, is asking DeKalb County to
change the property's land use designation from suburban to town center,
which allows for more dense development.

According to development papers filed with the state this week, the
development -- to be called Gables North Druid Hills -- is at the
intersection of North Druid Hills and North Holly Lane.
The county has already designated the area around Toco Hill as a town
center.

Ashkouti's request is the second land-use change recently proposed in
the Toco Hill area. Atlanta-based Julian LeCraw and Co. plans to seek
town center status for an apartment complex it owns just south and east
of the sprawling shopping center.
-- Paul Donsky -
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution:
Ashkouti has organized a community meeting on Thursday, Aug. 7th, at 8pm in the Torah Day School library on LaVista. While this meeting is aimed primarily at the residents of the Merry Hills Homeowners Assn., it is a public meeting and one which representatives of other nearby associations should make every effort to attend.
Current plans include some commercial space and close to 400 rental units and a 5-story parking deck. Their plans will require a zoning change and a land use change, both of which will need to be approved by the Board of Comm. and our two area commissioners.

* Get the word out - LeCraw has scheduled another community meeting for Mon., Aug 11 @ 7pm at the Clairmont Presbyterian Church in Milligan Hall. Carpool if you can,we expect another packed house.
REMEMBER TO VOTE !!!
That's all for now. If you have development/traffic information to share, please let us know and we will publish as needed.
Please share this with friends and neighbors. Encourage them to sign up for our
email list.
And stay
tuned for updates and meeting notices.
Thanks for your support,

The volunteers of StandUp DeKalb

I also received an email for NDHRA/N. Druid Hills Residents Association---

--Clean Up on Sat, Aug.9 from 9-12/meet at the church beside/behind the Target

--Ashkouti has planned a tour of the proposed development on Sunday, IIRC, 12-3PM. I suppose I will have to email/contact them--I did not understand from the email where this tour was being held.

Something about the Arbor Hills/Gates apartments--but it was cryptic.

To those who live, or wish to live in this formerly quiet, safe residential neighborhood--now is the time to contribute your opinions--once the 'Deed is Done' there is no turning back. Is this development good/bad--I can't say--have heard NOTHING about it--makes me want to scream---'DECATUR'--what in the H goes on up there...

But, I would no doubt be removed from any meeting if I expressed this opinion--so I will express it here and hope that I am not in violation of TOS.

You would not believe/or maybe you would --how much Trouble/ I get into from 'speaking my mind'. Ridiculous at times--a staff person in the Doraville library threatened to call the Doraville PD because I raised my voice in the library--when the 'System' was having a farkle. I then went across the street to the Doraville PD and asked if tax dollars were truly wasted in this way--calling the police for a raised voice in a library. The officer just shook his head and said that they would not respond to such a call. Glad to know there are some with common sense anywhere in DeKalb.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

If you would like more information or are interested in joining StandUp DeKalb
or
ordering a StandUp DeKalb yard sign or t-shirt, please visit our website,
StandUp DeKalb - Take Action Message []StandUp DeKalb - Take Action Message

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2008, 09:30 AM

23,355 posts, read 43,822,059 times
Yes, the developers have been licking their chops over the NDH corridor between LaVista and N Holly Lane for some time. The county is also licking their chops over the increased revenues that these 'town center' designations are expected to bring in.

Old 08-06-2008, 09:45 AM

8,862 posts, read 17,416,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
Yes, the developers have been licking their chops over the NDH corridor between LaVista and N Holly Lane for some time. The county is also licking their chops over the increased revenues that these 'town center' designations are expected to bring in.
cough--Dunwoody.

Thanks a Heap --but I wish them well.

It is a 'juicy' little piece of real estate--isn't it?

Hope to see many of my 'neighbors'--within a 25 mile radius--at The Meetings.

Think about it Gwinnett commuters--when they start to 'Work' on N. Druid Hills--ala Sembler--your commute will become much more frustrating--not to mention much longer. This will affect the entire 'Emory Corridor'--all the way to I suppose Stone Mountain, Chamblee, Doraville--to the very doorsteps of the City of Dunwoody.

I hate to tell the Developers this but home sales, etc have stalled over here.

Several nice homes in Briarcliff Heights have been on the market for over a year--someone should buy them and enjoy the area while it is less densely developed. I am 'Resigned' to development but I intend to have some input on the type of development we 'Get'.

We have 'Enough'--shopping, places to eat and conduct daily business in this area. We need MORE GREEN SPACE--a larger/better dog park and more areas to rest and relax. It would be nice to have a place to swim again--I haven't visited the Kittredge Pool since it was new--back in the late 60's--I assume when drought conditions are on the wane it still operates--but I would personally like a better public swimming pool. That is one thing this neighborhood never had--and while I am making a list--I'd like to see more of what Gwinnett County has done for its communities--such as the Pinckneyville Arts Center--and several heritage centers throughout Gwinnett County.

Let me tell you --Gwinnett is spending its money well--if you need to cross Peachtree Industrial --they have state of the art Pedestrian Cross Signals and I believe cameras to capture violators on many major thoroughfares. A great source of revenue--if 'TBTP' in Decatur could deign to consider such an expenditure. Growling as think about what I can find for lunch. I get 'Mean' when I am hungry. FWIW.

TakeAhike
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta