U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-08-2008, 10:37 AM

1 posts, read 4,005 times

Advertisements

My husband, 1 year old daughter and I will be relocating to Georgia next year due to my husband's new job. Currently we reside in Southeast Iowa in a rural area. We have both grown up in this area and are nervous about moving to a metro area. I want my daughter to go to school and be raised in a similar environment as her parents did... Iowa is what we know.
Therefore:
I am looking for a home north of Atlanta.. not in the metro area or suburb. My husband will be working out of our home; however, traveling to Atlanta to meet various clients from time to time. I would prefer to live in a small town with good schools. I am looking for a country home, preferably wooded and hilly. My budget is around $150- 175K for a home.
Any ideas?
I know I am asking for a lot; however, I truly want to make my home in Georgia and be as comfortable as possible.
Any information you could give would be helpful!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2008, 10:49 AM

97 posts, read 414,127 times
Jasper
Talking Rock
Dahlonega
Blue Ridge

Old 08-08-2008, 11:21 AM

9,124 posts, read 34,432,846 times
In addition to the towns listed above, you can look at Cartersville, Rome, and Adairsville. The schools in all of those areas are good, though they may change dramatically in the years before your daughter needs to go to school.

In your price range, you're not likely to get tons of acreage if that's what you're looking for, and the homes may tend to be older- especially as the land gets bigger. I'd suggest taking a long trip out here to see if the area fits your needs.

Old 08-09-2008, 06:17 AM

1,178 posts, read 3,606,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mshaddox View Post
My husband, 1 year old daughter and I will be relocating to Georgia next year due to my husband's new job. Currently we reside in Southeast Iowa in a rural area. We have both grown up in this area and are nervous about moving to a metro area. I want my daughter to go to school and be raised in a similar environment as her parents did... Iowa is what we know.
Therefore:
I am looking for a home north of Atlanta.. not in the metro area or suburb. My husband will be working out of our home; however, traveling to Atlanta to meet various clients from time to time. I would prefer to live in a small town with good schools. I am looking for a country home, preferably wooded and hilly. My budget is around $150- 175K for a home.
Any ideas?
I know I am asking for a lot; however, I truly want to make my home in Georgia and be as comfortable as possible.
As far as a community known for farming, much like Iowa, it's tough, considering that most of the rural area north of Atlanta is forest land. However, of the non-metro counties north of Atlanta with the most farm land, I'd say that Habersham County would be your best bet, or perhaps parts of eastern Barrow or western Oconee counties between Atlanta and Athens. The latter recommendation, however, could very well become suburban within twenty years.

If a small town rural environment with a forested landscape is okay for you, then many of the mountain counties would fit you, including Union, Towns, Fannin, Gilmer, Rabun, White, Pickens, etc.

If you don't mind living somewhat closer to the city, the community of Euharlee in western Bartow County has lots of subdivisions, but the surrounding area is partial farmland, the schools are fairly good, and the commute to Atlanta is quicker. Cartersville isn't that far away either.

Old 08-09-2008, 06:21 AM

3,972 posts, read 11,717,198 times
Social Circle -- maybe?

Old 08-09-2008, 06:22 AM

23,118 posts, read 38,983,747 times
The community of Suches in N GA still has a rural feel to it IMO...how long it will remain that way (or anywhere else in N GA) is anyone's guess.

Old 08-09-2008, 03:32 PM

1,120 posts, read 2,412,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mshaddox View Post
Therefore:
Any ideas?

If I were looking for a more rural location, I'd look for a city somewhat near I-85, and maybe 20 to 30 miles west of Athens. I love Athens.

When I'm in Athens, I always get the real estate booklets. The surrounding communities, near Athens, seem to have decent home prices. There's an abundance of nice, spacious homes under $200,000.

Athens is a fun town. Living 20 to 30 miles west of Athens would put you closer to the biggest mall (?), if not the biggest, in the State of Georgia. It's a huge mall and lots of businesses around it. There's also an outlet mall up that way.

Hilly terrain, especially in the mountains, is more expensive. Most grocery stores here in Atlanta have mountain property booklets you can get, and some of the properties seem to be pretty darn expensive.

You do have the option of buying northwest of Atlanta, instead of northeast of Atlanta. There's tons of outlet malls northwest of Atlanta. Dalton is the carpeting capital of the U. S. There's good bargains not only on carpeting but furniture, too.

Old 08-09-2008, 06:58 PM

196 posts, read 690,894 times
Consider Grayson, Loganville, Snellville, Dacula... rural but still close to everything. We moved from Tennessee and love the area. These areas are Northeast of Atlanta.

Old 08-09-2008, 07:12 PM

31 posts, read 85,574 times
I live in Euharlee, ga which is in bartow county between cartersville and rome. I love it here. The schools are great!! Our neiborhood is great. Quiet, police patrolled, tons of kids. Houses are selling in the upper 140,000s with 1 acre. I hope this helped. Cartersville has a very friendly small town feel.

Old 08-11-2008, 04:05 AM

1,178 posts, read 3,606,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moving123 View Post
Consider Grayson, Loganville, Snellville, Dacula... rural but still close to everything. We moved from Tennessee and love the area. These areas are Northeast of Atlanta.
Grayson: Suburban-In no way rural

Loganville: Suburban- Close to rural area, just to the east.

Snellville: Completely Suburban. How you placed it in the rural category, I don't understand.

Dacula: Suburban, but sparser populated in some areas. Still not rural.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta