Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2008, 03:49 PM

90 posts, read 328,209 times

Advertisements

Hello All,

This is a kinda crazy (and long) post...but please bear with me b/c I really need help. We are a family that just retired from the military and considering relocating to ATL because the cost of living appears to be cheaper than where we live in southern Virginia and also because we have kids in college there.

My dilemma is this...we visited ATL some months ago (April) to check out the area. Because of our limited time there (a few days) coupled with "not" knowing where to go, coupled with t-storms that prevented us from really seeing alot, dear hubby is unsure he wants to relocate there now. He's from NYC and said it reminded him too much of NYC and he doesn't want to return to the "hustle and bustle" way of life. On the flip side, the kids and I are sold - we want to make ATL home.

However, we are torn - we don't want to live in the city but we don't want to be in the "country country" either. We visited McDonough before because we saw some homes online that we liked, but it seemed too rural. Same with Stockbridge. Kinda liked Conyers but don't know much about it. Stayed with relatives in Powder Springs - liked the subdivion (Lost Mountain Lakes) but surrunding areas was still very rural. Same with Acworth, Keenesaw, and Dallas. Wasn't able to venture to North or South ATL.

MY question (finally) is...is there somewhere in ATL that's like "middle ground" - like not too city and not too country? Somewhere that doesn't take an hour to get from downtown in traffic? Someplace that has newer homes with "some" yard space around $275,000-350,000? Someplace where you can actually see nice landscaping, greenery, trees, etc.? One thing dear hubby whined about was that he expected it (ATL) to have more greenery than what we saw? What we saw was mainly "city" or "country" with horses and cows in the yards. Not much in between. I know places like this exist...I think we just didn't have a clue where to look. Therefore, we left ATL with questions.

We will be returning to ATL next week to take our kids to college. So we have a few days to see more of ATL. Can anyone recommend any areas for us that may fit the above criteria? Even if it's just places we can drive through to give us a better feel for the area. I understand we would really need to know where we are working before looking more closely at specific areas. However, any pointers would help. We just don't know where to begin! Thank you for reading my lllooonnnggg post and responding.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2008, 05:16 PM

165 posts, read 548,771 times
Living in the burbs requires at least an hour of traffic to reach downtown in the circumference of Atlanta. McDonough is nice with the quality of homes available and price. Check out Brush Arbor, Cameron Manor, Lake Dow.

I left Va Beach myself and it was for the better for the cost of living and job market. The commute is just the kicker. It really isnt too rural once you have lived here a few years. Lots of new commercial is spreading from I75 and mcdonough. Medical offices and retail are slowly spreading down SR-81 if you're looking east of mcdonough square. Ola and union groove/kelly town reminds me of Cox area if you're familar with that part of va beach.

You could check out peachtree city, kennesaw, cartersville, or douglasville as some other nice options. Conyers reminded me too much of va beach sprawl and impoliteness when you get around the shopping areas. It's a PITA trying to get on I20 there as well.

Old 08-09-2008, 05:39 PM

894 posts, read 4,349,672 times
I think the first thing you need to answer is, where/if you will be working. That will have EVERYTHING to do on how we can help you. You must definately need to live by work, or work near home. My husband works out of the house, and uses the airport for trips. Takes him anywhere from 30-60 depending on traffic.

Do you want a subdivision with swim/tennis? One with kids? You get the idea.

Good Luck!

Old 08-09-2008, 06:06 PM

6,048 posts, read 18,422,019 times
Which college will your kids be attending?

Old 08-09-2008, 06:30 PM

2,206 posts, read 6,891,218 times
The previous suggestions on this thread still seem pretty rural to me. I live in North-East Cobb county, which is loaded with greenery but it's definitely suburban, not rural. I think East Cobb, Roswell, Alpharetta might have what you're seeking.

Old 08-09-2008, 06:53 PM

11 posts, read 66,228 times
We live in Druid Hills near Emory University...inside the perimeter (a must) in an established neighborhood (no construction projects). Downtown Atlanta is ten minutes away by car...Marta is available. Decatur is a progressive area, strong community participation, relatively sane traffic flow, great schools, lots of parks and trees in neighborhoods. Homes in your price range are plentiful. Dekalb Farmers Market is a big big plus...all kinds of foods and reasonable pricing. Drive down Ponce de Leon Avenue east from Briarcliff and turn off anywhere to see what i mean.

Old 08-09-2008, 06:55 PM

196 posts, read 732,349 times
Consider Grayson, Snellville, Loganville which are north east of Atlanta nice with a rural feel but also great shopping, eating places etc. We moved here from Tennessee and we really love the area.

Old 08-09-2008, 07:30 PM

193 posts, read 693,058 times
Woah, those towns you mentioned are incredibly rural. Your husband thought they were too much like NYC? I'm confused.

Old 08-09-2008, 07:46 PM

612 posts, read 2,778,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moving123 View Post
Consider Grayson, Snellville, Loganville which are north east of Atlanta nice with a rural feel but also great shopping, eating places etc. We moved here from Tennessee and we really love the area.
I agree 100%. I live in Snellville and am about five minutes from Loganville and the area seems to have everything.

Old 08-09-2008, 08:04 PM

1,050 posts, read 3,526,260 times
When we first moved to Atlanta area from Delaware, we were at our realtor's mercy. We ended up in Roswell ( Fulton county)=higher taxes. After two years we moved to Cobb county-taxes go down after 62 years of age. We were in Marietta which is a nice place to live. You can find homes in all price ranges. Downtown Marietta is very well kept. The "Square" offers a variety of restaurants. There is always something going on. the summer offers concerts on the square free of charge. Yes, you deal with crowds, but you can bring a picnic, wine beer or what ever. Babies to seniors all have a great time. In all the years I have gone there has never been an "incident".
As far as homes and areas for your price range, you could look off Sandy Plains, Scufflegrit, Allgood, East Piedmont. It is fairly close to I 75 for a commute to Atlanta. 75 is being expanded and shoud be completed soon. We moved again two years ago to a home with a basement because of new grandchildren and felt we needed a bit more space. Now in Acworth which has a quaint downtown area. It is a city on the rise and has a great future plan. We will retire here. Good Luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta