Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2013, 08:11 PM

10,396 posts, read 11,500,133 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleKaye View Post
Thanks for the linke Born 2 Roll. I have tried some of those restaurants and while the prep was good, I missed the fresh seafood taste. The freshest I have tasted here was at McCormick & Schmick's at Periemter. I'd definitely like to try Adele's Cajun; that sounds right up my alley.
Cool...at least you know that you have many decent seafood dining options (both ITP and OTP) that you can explore while living in Atlanta.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2013, 09:50 PM

341 posts, read 708,640 times
Pros-- 1)Business friendly 2)relatively low COL 3)major airport hub 4)fairly mild weather 5)somewhat international melting pot of cultures

Cons-- 1)threat of tornadoes coupled with sometimes miserable summer heat/humidity 2)not really close to the ocean 3) poor infrastructure/heavy traffic 4)Clash of the titans- old school policy vs new generation(s) of inhabitants; good or bad? 5)even though Atl is referred to as the capital of the new South or Empire State/NY of the South, it's economy, perception and reality are still not on par with LA or NY and not sure it ever will. But hey, there's always room for improvement.

Old 12-04-2013, 09:52 PM

341 posts, read 708,640 times
And that's a good thing!

Old 12-05-2013, 06:02 AM

3,421 posts, read 5,219,515 times
Pros:

1. Virginia-Highland
2. Piedmont Park
3. DragonCon
4. AWA & MomoCon
5. My faith community

Cons:

1. Poor transit
2. Poor infrastructure (to include no sidewalks)
3. Poor job market
4. Low pay relative to cost of living
5. Materialistic/flashy culture

Old 12-05-2013, 07:35 AM

1,637 posts, read 2,630,536 times
Pros
- Best looking women in America
- One of the top educated cities in America
- Top 5 in topography
- Worlds largest airport which means plenty of direct flights
- decent weather
- no mandatory toll roads
- Cute skyline
- Nightlife. I love the underground scene here. (MJQ, El Bar, The Music Room, etc). Edgewood Ave, etc. 3am last call, 4am-5am in Dekalb County. I like how the club scene is word of mouth verses everything being laid out in front of you like in Miami or Vegas
- Music Festivals (One Musicfest, Jazz Fest, House in the Park, TomorrowWorld,etc)
- Growth in 2014 with PCM, KSM, BA, Lakepoint, Avalon, streetcar, two museums downtown, etc

Cons
- More heavy rail options
- Would be nice to be closer to the beach but then we would have to worry about getting hit by "the big one" and we would have a higher COL

Old 12-05-2013, 08:10 AM

2,307 posts, read 2,995,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta_BD View Post
5. Materialistic/flashy culture
Well-said, BD, I wanted to say that, too, but couldn't come up w/ how to phrase it. You nailed it.

Old 12-05-2013, 10:28 AM

6,420 posts, read 6,524,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CUDavidBanner View Post
I thought it would be informative if those familiar with Atlanta, would list their top 5 positives and 5 negatives about the Atlanta Metro area. Thanks in advance.
Top 5?

I move to Atlanta in 2008, so I dont know what it was prior to that. Id say the positives for me are some of the local restaurants, Marta, my girlfriend, four seasons minus the pollen time & Hartfields.

The negatives would be a much longer list for me. Although I like living here because I don't really know anyone and no one here really knows me. Id say the biggest thing I dislike about Atlanta, is bougie-snobby attitudes many people have. I don't want to say its everyone, because its not. The divided governments are also a huge annoyance, especially when it comes to licenses, auto tags, traffic citations or tickets. The over pricing of certain things or places. A lot of establishments seem to want to cater to the luxury crowd, not because they actually have a luxury product but because they THINK they do. Which kinda goes back to my first negative about snobby-bougie attitudes. Traffic is huge issue as well, but I can deal with Traffic if I got some good tunes to ride to, which takes me to the local radio stations. Im a black male, I grow up to Hip hop and RnB, but the radio stations in Atlanta play the same garbage over and over again. I did hear a show one evening that was hosted by Chubb Rock where all they were playing was old school jams, but the show seemed to only be like an hour long. 3 hip hop and RnB stations that play the same songs over and over by Thugnificent and Gangstalicious. Where are the west-coast and east-coast artist? I understand Atlanta supporting their own, but just because a rapper is from Atlanta doesn't mean they are a good artist we need to crammed down our ears. So those are the 5 things off head i can come up with.

Old 12-05-2013, 10:35 AM

1,637 posts, read 2,630,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPeach2 View Post
Top 5?

I move to Atlanta in 2008, so I dont know what it was prior to that. Id say the positives for me are some of the local restaurants, Marta, my girlfriend, four seasons minus the pollen time & Hartfields.

The negatives would be a much longer list for me. Although I like living here because I don't really know anyone and no one here really knows me. Id say the biggest thing I dislike about Atlanta, is bougie-snobby attitudes many people have. I don't want to say its everyone, because its not. The divided governments are also a huge annoyance, especially when it comes to licenses, auto tags, traffic citations or tickets. The over pricing of certain things or places. A lot of establishments seem to want to cater to the luxury crowd, not because they actually have a luxury product but because they THINK they do. Which kinda goes back to my first negative about snobby-bougie attitudes. Traffic is huge issue as well, but I can deal with Traffic if I got some good tunes to ride to, which takes me to the local radio stations. Im a black male, I grow up to Hip hop and RnB, but the radio stations in Atlanta play the same garbage over and over again. I did hear a show one evening that was hosted by Chubb Rock where all they were playing was old school jams, but the show seemed to only be like an hour long. 3 hip hop and RnB stations that play the same songs over and over by Thugnificent and Gangstalicious. Where are the west-coast and east-coast artist? I understand Atlanta supporting their own, but just because a rapper is from Atlanta doesn't mean they are a good artist we need to crammed down our ears. So those are the 5 things off head i can come up with.
Stop giving out horrible information. If you want to hear old school music listen to 97.5, 104.1 and 89.3 late at night on the weekend. BTW, that show you are talking about is called "Digging in the crates" and it is on 97.5 Friday/Saturday from 7-9pm and it is hosted by Chubb Rock.

Where are the west and east coast artist? Where were the southern artist on the West and East Coast radio stations back in 1995? You mad we arent playing music from other regions well they should have thought about that back in the day.

Old 12-05-2013, 10:38 AM

3,421 posts, read 5,219,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPeach2 View Post
. 3 hip hop and RnB stations that play the same songs over and over by Thugnificent and Gangstalicious. Where are the west-coast and east-coast artist? I understand Atlanta supporting their own, but just because a rapper is from Atlanta doesn't mean they are a good artist we need to crammed down our ears. So those are the 5 things off head i can come up with.

You mean you are tired of listening "Homies over H**s" and "Booty Butt Cheeks?"

Old 12-05-2013, 10:49 AM

6,420 posts, read 6,524,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkone View Post
and its a wannabe L.A. without the glitz and glamour.
I think this is a new trend, because a few guys at my job say Atlanta was not always about "flexing" their words not mine.

Ill also touch on something Greg the Mod said about Whites VS Blacks. Ive never had this much animosity towards whites when I lived in Florida, maybe because a lot of florida whites are poorer whites or most of them were from Cali or New York. They were a lot different then the Georgia white people who try to talk down to blacks in subtle ways. I wont say the major company I work for, but these white folks in this building have a lot of guts when they speak in the office. Some of the things they say and how they say things makes me want to slap the crap out of them. Im sure it goes both ways especially with what Greg said about Government jobs which are actually given to people who are voted in so they try to keep the whites out. Atlanta & Georgia has issues with race.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta