Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-10-2008, 06:33 PM

10 posts, read 20,778 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone!!!

My family and I consist of two kids ages 5 and 9. We are looking to move close if not in Atlanta we will be renting a three bedroom with a rent max of $850.
I would like to know good places to move that are safe, close to good schools , on a busline, dining etc. I have looked at decature not sure which part to stay away from. PLEASE HELP

Thank you so much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2008, 06:52 PM

Default Dekalb County

Family and I will be relocating. What parts of the county should we avoid? We have two small kids elem aged so schools are important as well as saftey. Our rental budget is $850. Also being as close as poss to atl would be nice.

Thanks so much.

Old 08-10-2008, 07:02 PM

308 posts, read 1,037,952 times
Looks like a duplicate post but I'll respond here. Where will your job(s) be located?

Old 08-10-2008, 07:04 PM

really did not think it was but thanks. Our jobs will be in downtown atlanta.

Old 08-10-2008, 07:15 PM

8,862 posts, read 17,485,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newyear View Post
Family and I will be relocating. What parts of the county should we avoid? We have two small kids elem aged so schools are important as well as saftey. Our rental budget is $850. Also being as close as poss to atl would be nice.

Thanks so much.
DeKalb county is pretty large--where do you need to be?

South DeKalb includes Lithonia, Stone Mountain and parts of Decatur. There is some significant crime in these areas and you should contact DeKalb PD if you are considering living in these areas. There are pockets of safe neighborhoods in this area and other posters can advise you better than I.

Central DeKalb is overall very safe--this includes 'The Emory Corridor', which extends from the main campus of Emory University--ie Druid Hills/Driving Miss Daisy--quite expensive and you will not find housing for a family in this area in your budget. The Toco Hill/Executive Park area is only a few miles away, then Chamblee/Doraville--some crime in these areas--check with Chamblee PD/Doraville PD or DeKalb PD/some of the area is served by each. About 5 miles further you come to Northlake Mall and then Tucker. Very nice family neighborhoods here and some crime. DeKalb PD headquarters is located here, FWIW.

North DeKalb--from Brookhaven to the new City of Dunwoody. Very safe and quite out of your budget range. Perimeter Mall/Ashford Dunwoody Rd--that's north DeKalb.

Of all of these--you might find housing for a family from $1,000-$1,500 in Chamblee, Doraville or Tucker. You could try Stone Mountain but be very certain of what goes on in and around you. Clarkston is another option--they are on a clean up the crime campaign--good leadership in law enforcement--very diverse area but there are stable neighborhoods. You might find apartments or townhomes in your price range here. Clarkston is next to Tucker/Stone Mountain. Drive out E.Ponce de Leon Rd/Blvd from North Decatur Rd and you will be in Clarkston.

If you want to live in an apartment--on Briarcliff Rd at North Druid Hills, The Park apartments have some floor plans in your price range. This is a safe area/accessible to I85/sometimes called Executive Park. About 2 miles away you come to Buford Hwy--another diverse area and there are robberies and shootings along this route--you might find an apartment in your price range there but safety would be a concern.

hth

Other than that you would really have to go outside the perimeter, metro area and find a house for a family in a small town--30/40 miles away. jmo.

TakeAhike

Old 08-10-2008, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newyear View Post
Hello everyone!!!

My family and I consist of two kids ages 5 and 9. We are looking to move close if not in Atlanta we will be renting a three bedroom with a rent max of $850.
I would like to know good places to move that are safe, close to good schools , on a busline, dining etc. I have looked at decature not sure which part to stay away from. PLEASE HELP

Thank you so much.

I responded in your other thread.

Think of what you want for you kids/schools. If I were you I would start looking in Tucker/Clarkston. See post in the other thread.

TakeAhike

Old 08-10-2008, 08:39 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,883,354 times
I have merged the two separate threads.

Old 08-10-2008, 09:16 PM

15 posts, read 74,105 times
Wonder if your jobs downtown are convenient to MARTA or maybe a rail/bus transfer that way you could use the transit system. You could look in Decatur, Brookhaven/Oglethorpe, Lindbergh, Buckhead

Old 08-11-2008, 04:42 AM

9,124 posts, read 36,380,037 times
At $850/month, you're not likely to find a 3-bedroom apartment that's safe, in an area with good schools, and close to a bus line. Even out in the outer burbs you'd be hard pressed to find something on that budget in a decent area.

Old 08-11-2008, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
At $850/month, you're not likely to find a 3-bedroom apartment that's safe, in an area with good schools, and close to a bus line. Even out in the outer burbs you'd be hard pressed to find something on that budget in a decent area.
I've made a few trips to North GA recently and if the poster wanted to live up there--somewhere around Lavonia or Toccoa--far away from jobs and the sort of lifestyle available in metro Atlanta--with serious research he/she might find something in that price range. It wouldn't be 'new' and might be a mobile home. There is a mobile home park on Buford Hwy just beyond the Norcross city limits, FYI--if anyone is considering this alternative.

I honestly don't think you can go much under $1,000 for anything almost anywhere I have looked.

Around the Chamblee library/PDK--an area that would probably have a lot of 'Noise'--once I saw a duplex renting for about $800.

TakeAhike
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta