Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2008, 06:54 PM

16 posts, read 31,480 times

Advertisements

Never thought I would say this, but every now and then I miss Georgia!!! For so long, I said I wanted to get out, hated the humidity, and wasn't too sure that southern hospitality existed! Wow - was I wrong. OK - I don't miss the humidity, but I do miss the trees, property sizes, and respect and courtesy on the roads. Man do I miss those trees!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2008, 06:55 PM

3,478 posts, read 7,252,923 times
Respect and courtesy on the roads? You must not have driven I-75 or I-285 during rush hour.

Old 11-02-2008, 07:03 PM

894 posts, read 4,348,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wxjay View Post
Respect and courtesy on the roads? You must not have driven I-75 or I-285 during rush hour.
Doesn't even have to be rush hour

Old 11-02-2008, 08:04 PM

16 posts, read 31,480 times
Trust me on this one - I thought the same thing when I lived in GA. But, I lived about 25 miles from school and it took about 30 - 45 minutes to get there - in rush hour (I-75)! I now live 8, that's right, 8 miles away from work and it takes the same amount of time. People tend not to read road signs here - specifically the "THIS LANE ENDS IN 500 FEET" sign, or the EXIT ONLY sign (1/4 mile away from exit and they wait til the last 20 feet). And the tailgating - Oh my GOD is that frustrating!

Old 11-02-2008, 08:24 PM

7,887 posts, read 17,187,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowgirlup727 View Post
And the tailgating - Oh my GOD is that frustrating!
I thought Atlanta was the tailgating capital because it's pretty bad here. Maybe it's the people who moved here from Denver doing all the tailgating?

Old 11-03-2008, 12:02 AM

8,057 posts, read 12,854,475 times
Cowgirl, I'm in TX now and I totally agree with the tree thing. Not that there aren't trees here in the Dallas area, but much fewer and further apart and no where near the size.

Its odd that trees have such a close knit attraction to one's soul. The only place where I can see a nice collection of trees here is in the creek bottoms, saw a nice stand today on the way home from church with some fall colors showing. Had to pull over and breathe a sigh of relief and feel that pang of 'gosh, I could be driving up to N GA to see some glorious sights and I can't!'

Old 11-03-2008, 06:35 AM

23,450 posts, read 44,056,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
Cowgirl, I'm in TX now and I totally agree with the tree thing. Not that there aren't trees here in the Dallas area, but much fewer and further apart and no where near the size.

Its odd that trees have such a close knit attraction to one's soul. The only place where I can see a nice collection of trees here is in the creek bottoms, saw a nice stand today on the way home from church with some fall colors showing. Had to pull over and breathe a sigh of relief and feel that pang of 'gosh, I could be driving up to N GA to see some glorious sights and I can't!'
I remember coming back to Atlanta from NY, DC and south FL to visit family and friends...it was a always a shock to be back in the middle of all that verdant, lush forest. The pangs that I would experience from it finally served to bring me home.

Old 11-03-2008, 01:57 PM

131 posts, read 492,641 times
I am sorry but I have to call BS on the drivers being better in Georgia! Drivers (in Atlanta) are horrendously aggresive (and I am no push-over in a car). The way you feel about the trees I feel about seing those beautiful rocky mountains.

P.S. I would pick CO over GA ANY DAY!!!!

Old 11-03-2008, 06:33 PM

6,540 posts, read 12,034,963 times
I missed GA while I lived in San Diego. About the driving, San Diego drivers are worse. I can just kick back and cruise on I-75, 85, or 285 after driving in S.D. People in Atlanta are much more polite, friendly, respectful, and down-to-earth, for the most part. Now that I'm living in Japan, I still miss GA sometimes, but I love Japan.

Old 11-03-2008, 09:23 PM

321 posts, read 1,119,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaCruiser View Post
I am sorry but I have to call BS on the drivers being better in Georgia! Drivers (in Atlanta) are horrendously aggresive (and I am no push-over in a car).
I drive to/from work once per week (38mi one way). My report time is usually 0700 and duty-out is around Noon or after 1900.

I take my time, leave early ... no need to rush. I'm usually in the 2nd lane in from the right (exit lane). Even in the early AM hours ... in Metro Atlanta, sometimes I wonder what the [$&*%#] is the matter with some people?

Racing in/out of other cars, no turn signals ... driving and not paying attention on [phone, applying makeup, smoking, eating, getting dressed, shaving, reading, watching movie or TV] or ALL the above at the same time?

I don't think Atlanta or Georgia is any worse than other States, however some other metropolitan areas are adopting the "both hands on steering wheel" policy and enforcing it vehemently.

Perhaps Georgia will join the 21st century sometime soon?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: