Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2008, 12:22 AM

4 posts, read 12,845 times

Advertisements

Hi all-

i just got a job offer for a company in norcross [on hw 141 right after it splits off from peachtree industrial blvd] and i'm trying to decide whether if and where i should buy a condo [or house?]. i figure it's a buyers market right now and if i plan to stick around for at least the next 3-5 years, buying would be a good investment when compared to 8-900/mo rent.

i'm 23, single and female. so definitely somewhere safe- hence a more upscale area. ideally somewhere that's still mildly quiet, but with lots of young professionals. ideally a 1b/1b around a more urban area so i can live where i play.

that being said, my main concerns are

-how long will my commute be
-access to nightlife
and espeically is the place bug-free

i figure i'll only look at places that are less than 10 years old and hope for
pest-less existence. i know i want real granite counters, hardwood or concrete floors + carpet and the highest floor i could possibly get.

i've been looking at buckhead and wondering about midtown, but i hear traffic is horrendous even if i'm heading out of the metroplex, so i was considering places in dunwoody also.

..with a budget of 180k tops, where should i go? and what would the commute times be to work in norcross and also to the hotspots in atlanta?

---

as a related thought, what are the uptown/downtown districts etc. nightlife areas? specifically-
upscale trendy bars/lounges
college crowds
dance clubs [hiphop/r&b, not so much techno]
punk rock venues
jazz bars especially
and places to go after the theater/opera/ballet?

.. i'm into a variety of things. = )

i'd appreciate any input. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2008, 02:47 AM

1,120 posts, read 2,590,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citrusb1itz View Post
Hi all-

i just got a job offer for a company in norcross [on hw 141 right after it splits off from peachtree industrial blvd] and i'm trying to decide whether if and where i should buy a condo [or house?]. i figure it's a buyers market right now and if i plan to stick around for at least the next 3-5 years, buying would be a good investment when compared to 8-900/mo rent.

i'm 23, single and female. so definitely somewhere safe- hence a more upscale area. ideally somewhere that's still mildly quiet, but with lots of young professionals. ideally a 1b/1b around a more urban area so i can live where i play.

that being said, my main concerns are

-how long will my commute be
-access to nightlife
and espeically is the place bug-free

i figure i'll only look at places that are less than 10 years old and hope for
pest-less existence. i know i want real granite counters, hardwood or concrete floors + carpet and the highest floor i could possibly get.

i've been looking at buckhead and wondering about midtown, but i hear traffic is horrendous even if i'm heading out of the metroplex, so i was considering places in dunwoody also.

..with a budget of 180k tops, where should i go? and what would the commute times be to work in norcross and also to the hotspots in atlanta?

---

as a related thought, what are the uptown/downtown districts etc. nightlife areas? specifically-
college crowds
punk rock venues
jazz bars especially

.. i'm into a variety of things. = )

i'd appreciate any input. Thanks!

From my point of view, buying real-estate now is frought with danger. We're basically in unchartered waters like Columbus was in the late 1400s.

Only you, and you alone, know how much risk you want to take on. Please be cognizant of the fact that it may indeed take a decade to get out of this real-estate mess. May? Who knows?

From what I've heard a condo would probably be a good niche for you, and I wouldn't buy anything unless you get a super deal. We're talking at least a 30 to 40 percent discount on condos. You have the upper hand, and you should run the table on your terms AND ONLY ON YOUR TERMS. Many condo sellers have little, or no leverage.

Negotiate everything. If you don't like the floors--negotiate. If you don't like the carpeting--negotiate. If you don't like the counters--negotiate. For every condo seller who's not willing to negotiate, there's probably 20 condo sellers who are.

I would focus my attention around the Perimeter area ( perhaps along Ashford-Dunwoody ) in Dunwoody, and north Buckhead. Living in Midtown would possibly entail a longer commute.

The Perimeter area doesn't have much nightlife. Of course, Buckhead and Midtown provide better access to "the action."

One of the best real estate Web sites, for condos and homes is:

Coldwellbankeratlanta.com

It's a great site because many, if not all, Atlanta listings seem to be on that site. A good number of foreclosures are also on that site.

Good luck!

Old 10-14-2008, 07:43 AM

8,862 posts, read 17,479,539 times
citursb said:

---
college crowds
punk rock venues
jazz bars especially

Brookhaven might be a good area to consider. From your office's location travel about 10 miles South on Peachtree Industrial and it becomes Peachtree Rd/Lenox, Buckhead.

Old 10-14-2008, 07:53 AM

1,145 posts, read 4,211,053 times
Brookhaven would be really nice for you but there is nothing under $180k there. Perimeter Area (Dunwoody) would also be nice..but same situation..not very many condos there and therefore you won't find much under $180k.

Midtown and Buckhead should have a good variety options in your price range. The commute from Midtown wouldn't be that fun though (FYI Midtown has most of the nightlife in atlanta).

You say your timeline is 3-5 years. If you're thinking closer to 3 years, honestly I would not buy anything in this market. In that case, I would stick to a high-quality apartment. There are quite a few brand new apt complexes in nice areas that offer stainless appliances, granite, etc.

Old 10-14-2008, 08:31 AM

23,450 posts, read 44,056,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Blue 99 View Post
Brookhaven would be really nice for you but there is nothing under $180k there. Perimeter Area (Dunwoody) would also be nice..but same situation..not very many condos there and therefore you won't find much under $180k.

Midtown and Buckhead should have a good variety options in your price range. The commute from Midtown wouldn't be that fun though (FYI Midtown has most of the nightlife in atlanta).

You say your timeline is 3-5 years. If you're thinking closer to 3 years, honestly I would not buy anything in this market. In that case, I would stick to a high-quality apartment. There are quite a few brand new apt complexes in nice areas that offer stainless appliances, granite, etc.
Actually, there are some 2 BRs on Lenox Rd in Buckhead that in the neighborhood of 180M...they wouldn't be under 10 years old, but there are some deals there and the location is great.
A 3 BR unit in a complex where I own on Lenox (fixer upper/foreclosure) just sold for 130M...these units were going for 210M-225M five years ago.

Old 10-14-2008, 10:44 AM

1,120 posts, read 2,590,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Blue 99 View Post

Plannng to sell your condo only after three years IS fraught with danger. Even five years may be somewhat risky.

I would imagine Villa Sonoma "might" be a good fit for her in the Perimeter area. It's on Ashford-Dunwoody just a block or so south of I-285. This complex was profiled in the AJC about two months ago and it has location, location, location. As I recall the price points were between $130,000 and $220,000. This complex is a condo conversion, so that's in the equation. I would guess there's quite a few young professionals there. A young professional was profiled in the article.

The Manhattan, a very, very upscale new high-rise condo in the Perimeter area, has entry level condos starting exactly at $200,000. That price is just slightly above her price points. An offer below $200,000 might be accepted.

I was very surprised to see, on Craigslist, a condo at Lenox Heights, on Lenox Road in Buckhead, advertised for $79,900. However, this condo complex is around 20-years-old. This condo listed for around $160,000 a couple of years ago. It's a great bargain at only $79,900, and that's a 1988 price.

Old 10-14-2008, 10:48 AM

1,145 posts, read 4,211,053 times
Yep I would definitely check out Villa Sonoma. I haven't been inside but the location is fantastic.

Old 10-14-2008, 11:49 AM

3,972 posts, read 12,656,983 times
Do you have a salary history? If not, I am thinking financing will be a problem. Just something to think about.

Old 10-14-2008, 03:34 PM

98 posts, read 471,270 times
1 br/1 ba condos are a lot harder to get rid of, even in a hot market. Rent.

Old 10-14-2008, 04:47 PM

235 posts, read 838,161 times
I would rent first, see how Atlanta is and buy later. Definitely rent something close to your work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta