Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2008, 10:43 AM

66 posts, read 275,577 times

Advertisements

Has Clark Howard even expressed an interest in running? Or is his nomination simply wishful thinking on the part of his fans?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2008, 10:52 AM

91 posts, read 343,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merin View Post
I take it you live in a Majority white city with a non-white mayor? Shall I assume that the majority Caucasian cities in the Atlanta burbs have Non-Caucasian mayors? I personally do not vote based on race, however many people vote for candidates they feel they can relate to. Race and experiences are all factors here.
On a larger scale, America is majority white, and the democratic party voted for a black man as thier candidate. I find it hard to believe that all the past black mayors were voted in based on experience. Come on now, lets call a spade a spade.

Atlanta isnt ready for a white mayor. To be frank, theres no way that the black majority would allow that. THERE ARE EXCEPTIONS, but I think as a whole black Atlantans would not be too comfortable voting for a white mayor, even if he is more qualified.

If the city continues its increasing diversity, the 2013 race will be a ver exciting one.

Old 08-12-2008, 01:30 PM

989 posts, read 1,736,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMANN View Post
On a larger scale, America is majority white, and the democratic party voted for a black man as thier candidate. I find it hard to believe that all the past black mayors were voted in based on experience. Come on now, lets call a spade a spade.

Atlanta isnt ready for a white mayor. To be frank, theres no way that the black majority would allow that. THERE ARE EXCEPTIONS, but I think as a whole black Atlantans would not be too comfortable voting for a white mayor, even if he is more qualified.

If the city continues its increasing diversity, the 2013 race will be a ver exciting one.
I believe you are partially right. I being a late twenties professional black male do feel a loyalty aspect when voting between white or black candidates. I usually use race as a tie breaker, if their are two very similar candidates the only difference is race, race matters. I do not just vote black, case in point. When I voted in the democratic ticket, I saw Vernon Jones name on the ticket and I didnt care if he was running against Bin Laden, I wasn't voting for him. 2013 will be interesting, very interesting.

Old 08-12-2008, 02:17 PM

826 posts, read 3,110,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMANN View Post

I agree, a percentage of the black residents from the city would be uncomfortable voting for a white mayor;however this isn't the case with black people like me or those who live in my neighborhood.
I don't recall where I said race did not influence peoples voting habits or that Atlanta would elect a non-black Mayor. Additionally, people have different criteria when it comes to "experience" for mayor.
The post I responded to, seemed to imply that ONLY the City of Atlanta had people who used race as a factor , when decided who was to lead their city. My post was to point out this behavior is not restricted to those ITP.

Old 08-12-2008, 02:21 PM

826 posts, read 3,110,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by onemanarmy View Post
When I voted in the democratic ticket, I saw Vernon Jones name on the ticket and I didnt care if he was running against Bin Laden, I wasn't voting for him. 2013 will be interesting, very interesting.
He couldn't have my vote if he paid for it. I feel the same way.

Old 08-12-2008, 02:53 PM

Location: Originally from Cali relocated to Inman Park/Old 4th Ward/Westside Atlanta
987 posts, read 3,899,183 times
I'm interested to see what people think of the current candidates in the race since the front runner Lisa Borders has dropped out...

The candidates so far are:

Ceaser Mitchell
Kasim Reed
Mary Norwood

Mary Norwood seems to be in-tune with the community at large and has a done a great job so far in her 8 years as a city council woman. I think she has a legitimate shot in 2009 If she continues her outreach within the Atlanta community at large. At this point I really think the race is between her and Kasim Reed. www.marynorwoodformayor.com - Home

Old 08-12-2008, 05:35 PM

193 posts, read 690,726 times
Last time I checked, she was white too. But then again, politics has a way of making people flip-flop

Old 08-12-2008, 06:01 PM

426 posts, read 1,440,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plessthanpointohfive View Post
It would be nice if we had some Metro Atlanta Advisory Council made up of people from both ITP and OTP whose goal is to harmonize the two Ps....

Or do we already have something like that and it's just completely ineffectual?
That would be ARC (Atlanta Regional Commission). Good source for metro area data, beyond that I don't know...

Old 08-12-2008, 06:59 PM

1,755 posts, read 5,661,863 times
Usher could run against Clark Howard and win. Oh Hell, Cynthia McKinney would beat Clark!

Old 08-13-2008, 07:53 AM

269 posts, read 1,066,857 times
I absolutely love the idea of somebody as fiscally knowledgeable as Clark Howard being mayor. He could literally cut the budget in half with no cutback in services. And I think he'd scream bloody murder about any dishonesty.

The problem is, I don't think he could handle the political aspects of the situation. He needs some time in politics. He simply would not be effective dealing with the Council, unions, etc. He's way too idealistic. It would be like Carter in the White House.

Also, I really doubt a white person could get elected at this point. Face it, there are large crappy political leeches who have a lot of money and influence, both white and black. The black ones are going to carry too much influence to allow a white person to destroy their machine.

Maybe Mary Norwood can swing it, I dunno'. I like her pretty well. Shirley Franklin was a big improvement over Bill Campbell, and I'd like to see another step up in the next election. But her race is going to be a major impediment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta