Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2018, 11:04 AM

30 posts, read 23,608 times

Advertisements

MARTA is currently at 48 miles. MARTA heavy rail will almost double in size in the next several years from 48 miles to 91 miles (ATL/Clayton expansion) + 11 miles hopefully from Gwinnett to 102 miles region wide

So MARTA will basically double in size

Atlanta Expansion: 21 miles of rails
Clayton Expansion: 22 miles of commuter rail
Gwinnett Expansion: 4.5 miles + Eventually 11 miles

Time for those other two counties to step it up so we can have a world class rail system.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2018, 11:16 AM

4,209 posts, read 4,746,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by googgo View Post
MARTA is currently at 48 miles. MARTA heavy rail will almost double in size in the next several years from 48 miles to 91 miles (ATL/Clayton expansion) + 11 miles hopefully from Gwinnett to 102 miles region wide

Time for those other two counties to step it up so we can have a world class rail system.
Clayton isn’t going to be heavy rail and the extra miles of Gwinnett rail past Jimmy Carter is questionable.

Old 12-26-2018, 11:22 AM

617 posts, read 552,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonta4 View Post
Clayton isn’t going to be heavy rail and the extra miles of Gwinnett rail past Jimmy Carter is questionable.
City of Atlanta's expansion is not Heavy Rail either, but Light Rail, but any new track is good thing IMO.

Old 12-26-2018, 11:24 AM

30 posts, read 23,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonta4 View Post
Heavy Rail / Commuter Rail.....At least its some type of rail

True about Gwinnett but I hope once the first leg is built the demand will build up so much for it that they will expand it especially with the TOD's up there.

Also hope Dekalb can get their portion of the pie and expand Little Creek to Stonecrest. That would be a game changer

Old 12-26-2018, 11:34 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,295,927 times
Ten years from now, maybe there'll be five new miles in operation.

Old 12-26-2018, 01:22 PM

82 posts, read 81,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
Ten years from now, maybe there'll be five new miles in operation.

Spoke to a consultant a few weeks ago regarding the Clayton County project. She said to expect at least 15 years before it's up and running (assuming she meant fully functional).

Old 12-26-2018, 01:43 PM

11,804 posts, read 8,012,998 times
Quote:

Note that the ATL/Clayton expansion will be Commuter Rail, not Heavy Rail. Although it is still definitely a needed thing.

In combined sums of rail type, yes - you are correct... but in actual continuious rail, each of these systems will function independently of eachother with coordinating schedules (likely) but will not be continuous systems.

I still personally wished they pushed our existing Heavy Rail Infrastructure beyond ITP borders before focusing on Light Rail. Atleast to the edges of our MSA, then finish up the exhurbs with Commuter Rail....BUT.... I don't see that happening within the near future, if at all... the Clayton Commuter Rail does give me hope though.

Old 12-26-2018, 07:35 PM

23,726 posts, read 24,866,786 times
Revenue track under MARTA control expanded in July 2017 with the Atlanta Streetcar coming under their control. With More MARTA planned LRT projects even more rail will come under their control. Along with Clayton County and potentially Gwinnett.

Old 12-26-2018, 10:02 PM

16,701 posts, read 29,526,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post

I still personally wished they pushed our existing Heavy Rail Infrastructure beyond ITP borders before focusing on Light Rail. Atleast to the edges of our MSA, then finish up the exhurbs with Commuter Rail...

I totally agree with this. And I’ve always thought this.

Smart post.

Old 12-26-2018, 11:53 PM

4,209 posts, read 4,746,006 times
Quote:
Heavy Rail / Commuter Rail.....At least its some type of rail

True about Gwinnett but I hope once the first leg is built the demand will build up so much for it that they will expand it especially with the TOD's up there.

Also hope Dekalb can get their portion of the pie and expand Little Creek to Stonecrest. That would be a game changer
Oh yeah, I’m not being pessimistic, just stating a difference. I’ll take any type of rail even though I feel like some of these routes should’ve been heavy rain (like Clifton Corridor and Clayton from Hapeville to Southlake).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta