Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2008, 01:45 PM

17 posts, read 82,793 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by plessthanpointohfive View Post

Also, look at Emory's anthropology department: Emory University Anthropology

I know...Emory's tuition. But the wonderful thing about Emory is almost all PhD students go there for free: Emory Anthropology Graduate Application (http://www.anthropology.emory.edu/GRADUATE/FINANCE.HTM - broken link)

And get a stipend. I used to be on the faculty (I have a masters and was an instructor) at the Rollins School of Public Health at Emory. All PhD students attended free and got a stipend. From the above link it looks like anthropology does the same.

I think you and your husband will enjoy living here if you move into the city.

Thanks for the tip -- they have a great program. I was actually admitted to Emory on one of those full-rides back in 1999 but didn't accept! Thanks so much again for your insights and encouragement!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2008, 01:53 PM

2,642 posts, read 8,246,999 times
No problem. Good luck and let us know what you decide on.

Old 08-14-2008, 03:04 PM

1,320 posts, read 4,267,218 times
Interesting! My bachelor's degree is in anthropology from Georgia State. Then I got a master's degree in landscape architecture from the University of Georgia and I don't really use either degree since I work own a virtual tour company and also work as a real estate agent. I can empathize with your desire to go back to school.

The commute to Athens is really not "that bad" -- well, at least it wasn't back in the 90s when I was going. It would depend on your class schedule. If you could stick to Tuesday/Thursday or Monday/Wednesday/Friday classes exclusively and just go to campus when you have classes it's not terrible. The drive along Highway 78 is actually very pretty (or was 10 years ago) and provides about an hour of good time to "de-stress" and think -- or if you're very multi-tasking you might find of way of using books on tape (or taping lectures, study guides, etc.) to make that time work for you. Personally I liked looking at the farmland and singing to the radio.

It sounds like you'll enjoy intown neighborhoods more than suburban neighborhoods and, even though $200k doesn't go very far in housing intown in Atlanta, it will buy you a reasonable condo.

Also, if UGA is really the only viable option for your graduate program, is there a possibility your husband could find a job at UGA and y'all could live in Athens for a few years? It's a great town. I miss it more and more every year.

Old 08-15-2008, 06:49 AM

2,642 posts, read 8,246,999 times
Yes, Athens is a nice place. I lived there the first 6 months I was in Georgia and I like it. Very college town but I like that.

For me the main thing about the drive from Atlanta to Athens is the gas cost. I can see the appeal of a long drive if you only do it 3 days a week and can make the drive during non-rush hour times....but not with these gas prices. At least for me.

Genova, please come back here and let us know where you ended up living!

Old 08-15-2008, 06:54 AM

Thanks so much again, plessthan and Intown -- for your kindness and useful info. I'll surely report back.

Old 08-15-2008, 09:45 AM

269 posts, read 1,068,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Genovapernoi View Post
I have read up on Georgia State's Sociology PhD program, and it looks interesting -- but was still holding onto my loyalties in anthropology and thus looking towards UG (no anthro PhD at GSU)-- but with this idea that in-town living could release us from slavery to car commuting and allow us to settle into a characterful and politically liberal neighborhood, GSU/Sociology is starting to appeal even more!
Haha, you aren't going to find a "politically liberal neighborhood" in the corridor towards Athens. Your neighbors may drive a pickup truck with a "Ferget Hell" bumper sticker.

Although UGA has a better reputation academically, GSU is a great deal and would be a lot more pleasant for you in terms of lifestyle.

Old 08-15-2008, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by masonbarge View Post
Haha, you aren't going to find a "politically liberal neighborhood" in the corridor towards Athens. Your neighbors may drive a pickup truck with a "Ferget Hell" bumper sticker.

Although UGA has a better reputation academically, GSU is a great deal and would be a lot more pleasant for you in terms of lifestyle.
Hi, mason, I didn't assume that the eastern suburbs would be bastions of liberalism -- was referring to the possibility of finding such within the city itself as our second option where lifestyle would trump academic quality, quite likely (GSU instead of UGA). Your comments do corroborate with my growing impressions, and this I appreciate!

As a reinforcement of the idea that the outer burbs would not suit us, a real estate agent couple contacted me when they saw this discussion thread, and were suggesting to me Loganville or Grayson. I replied "sure" -- send me some listings -- and was disappointed to find a plethora of new, cookie-cutter, subdivision-based, oversized and undertreed properties. Yuck. And something I have yet to see elsewhere -- attempts to replicate 20s era arts&crafts bungalows....Give me the real thing.

Old 08-15-2008, 01:49 PM

1,320 posts, read 4,267,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Genovapernoi View Post
And something I have yet to see elsewhere -- attempts to replicate 20s era arts&crafts bungalows....Give me the real thing.

Craftsman bungalows are the predominant architectural style in the historic intown neighborhoods, but this style has had about 10 years of popularity and the prices show it. Your budget will be the biggest issue in finding the style home that appeals to you. You can certainly find detached homes intown for under $300k, but you're most likely to do so in ranch neighborhoods built during the 50s and 60s. For instance, the Medlock Park neighborhood near Emory has ranch homes (mostly 3 BR, 1.5 BA) priced in the $200s. This neighborhood is extremely convenient to Downtown Decatur and Emory University and also has easy access to Highway 78 which leads to Athens.

The least expensive intown neighborhood with bungalows is East Point, south of the city, but that would be a miserable commute to Athens. East Point also has government issues that frequently make the news, and even though it is experiencing revitalization it has not attained the popularity of the eastside intown neighborhoods.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta