Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-14-2008, 11:33 AM

8,862 posts, read 17,494,617 times

Advertisements

Interesting.

Go Here>>>
Judge stops work on PATH project | ajc.com (http://tinyurl.com/5vxmdf - broken link)

I remember the 'Woods' at this time last summer. Glad I can. It was so hot and they were so cool and the water in the creek was cold. My dog really enjoyed himself. We still go. That is all I will say.

TakeAhike
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2008, 11:36 AM

2,642 posts, read 8,262,660 times
The article doesn't mention all the neighbors FOR the project. There are a lot of Emory/CDC staff who live in that area and want that PATH as a way to help get to work by bike, etc. A friend of mine in Medlock Park who works at Emory was all over this.

Old 08-14-2008, 01:51 PM

I have my preferences. Having taken a walk in the woods before PATH and after the project was initiated I have not seen an improvement. Those who walk in the woods at Mason Mill rarely say --'Gee, this was really needed.'

Certain that there are those who are thrilled. I still wonder how this will increase accessibility to the woods for any population. If you are in a wheelchair--not sure the slatted board path makes it easier--but then I am not an authority on such issues. People rode dirt bikes through there before--still seem to take the dirt paths. Other than that I mainly see people walking their dogs and we don't see the improvement.

If I were one of the homeowners whose property had been taken--I would be in court.

I don't know 'What Sort of Improvements' are appropriate for this area but some of the ideas spring up suddenly and really don't seem to take into consideration that this is a suburban community. Gwinnett County gets an A+ from me for the way the have planned and implemented their parks and recreation areas.

TakeAhike

Old 08-14-2008, 01:56 PM

2,642 posts, read 8,262,660 times
From my friends who live in Medlock Park they think this portion of PATH is needed for safe egress to work.

As an alternative commuter I am all for projects that allow people to get about without their cars. I do understand the concerns people have but if you look at where PATH already exists in the city it's always been a success.

Old 08-14-2008, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plessthanpointohfive View Post
From my friends who live in Medlock Park they think this portion of PATH is needed for safe egress to work.

As an alternative commuter I am all for projects that allow people to get about without their cars. I do understand the concerns people have but if you look at where PATH already exists in the city it's always been a success.

I have read your opinions on a number of occasions, Pless. I have also enjoyed living here for a number of decades.

I don't think this was needed. 'To connect Medlock and Mason Mill Parks for bicyclists--OK --Whatever. Perhaps your friends ride bikes and this will be of benefit to them. That is a small percentage of the population. Should the 'Tail Wag the Dog'? Maybe you believe it should.

We can either 'Agree to Disagree' or not.

That is my final comment. I am not 'Outraged' by the PATH project, I know some who are. It ravaged a pristine environment--we will not 'Get that Back' --regardless of how a court rules on legal issues.

There are days when I think--just pave the whole area over and be done with it. It hurts--I like to be able to breathe clean air and enjoy a few moments without the thrumming of interstate traffic and planes flying low echoing in my ears. But, as one person--I do not expect to have my preferences listed as the top priority over everyone else's. It seems some do and they often then think--'Well --what do I want next?'

TakeAhike

Old 08-14-2008, 02:27 PM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,302,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeAhike View Post

I don't think this was needed. 'To connect Medlock and Mason Mill Parks for bicyclists--OK --Whatever. Perhaps your friends ride bikes and this will be of benefit to them. That is a small percentage of the population. Should the 'Tail Wag the Dog'?

Isn't that the main goal of the PATH Foundation?

PATH Foundation

Old 08-14-2008, 04:31 PM

200 posts, read 983,746 times
I took a visitor from Sweden on a hike down the Mason Mill PATH in June. It was under construction and it looked as if extreme care was being taken in the entire construction process.

Halting the project is a big disappointment for our family. We looked forward to taking long, safe walks as well as family bike rides along the Mason Mill PATH.

Old 08-14-2008, 04:41 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,094,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeAhike View Post
Interesting.

Go Here>>>
Judge stops work on PATH project | ajc.com (http://tinyurl.com/5vxmdf - broken link)
Kinda sad. Coming from a city (Minneapolis) with a huge bike path network, the lack of bike paths here was one of the most startling things I discovered when we moved to Atlanta.

At least I live near the Silver Comet Trail, but trying to get anywhere else by bike in this area is taking your life in your own hands. I wouldn't do it...

Old 08-14-2008, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by globalnomad View Post
I took a visitor from Sweden on a hike down the Mason Mill PATH in June. It was under construction and it looked as if extreme care was being taken in the entire construction process.

Halting the project is a big disappointment for our family. We looked forward to taking long, safe walks as well as family bike rides along the Mason Mill PATH.

Oh, I think you will get your wish.

I don't know that I would try to ride a bike along this wooden path--but that is me. Haven't ridden a bike in a while.

I was told that the project was proposed and developed so that populations--such as Senior Citizens and those with physical challenges might have greater access. I didn't know it was for bike riders. Anyway--the project will be completed. Land was taken from property owners in a manner that I am not sure I could support but if that is what The Majority wants--then so be it.

I am resigned to not hearing What is Proposed or Why it Is Proposed until the news of a new project is under way. It is disconcerting to say the least.

What is the Big Picture? I think it is good to inform citizens. Others may prefer a different style of government.

TakeAhike

Old 08-14-2008, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
Isn't that the main goal of the PATH Foundation?

PATH Foundation

I know I should stay informed on such things--but I have not kept up with PATH. On the other side of Mason Mill Park a new and much needed library is being built. More trees are being cut. I understand.

I loved the walks in the woods with my dog and am glad to have had the experience. Lately, each time I enjoy an outing there is a poignancy-what will the area be like next year?

I can always find somewhere to go to enjoy such outings. As long as gas prices don't increase to the point that it is no longer possible.

There are just too many announcements of 'New Development' in this area. Some better system of distributing information prior to commencing work on new projects would be something I would appreciate.

To go one day and see trees cut down and laying all over the ground. That is a sight I won't forget and it did not look like 'great care had been taken' that day. My dog I walked through one perfect early spring day in March and that was a good walk. Glad of that--we stepped over and around the fallen trees.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: