Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-29-2007, 02:18 PM

1 posts, read 3,659 times

Advertisements

We are moving to Atlantaland and visited Roswell during the job interview trip.
Seemed like a great fit to an outsider. We like culture (ones different than
mine are swell), and need to send our kids to elementary school.

I contacted a somewhat randomly selected real estate agent.
This agent warned me about "poor performing roswell elementary schools." This doesn't match up with what I have read in this forum about roswell's schools, so a flagg went up.

Can anyone comment?.... I'd like as many points of veiw as possiable. Are there any questionable elementary schools in roswell?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2007, 02:41 PM

3,972 posts, read 12,656,056 times
Ugh. I despise realtors who give school advice without knowing what they are talking about.

There is a range of test scores that you will find in Roswell schools... For example. one school may have a higher percentage of Hispanic students than another.

check out the the Georgia Dept of Education website and click on k-12 report cards...

Schools in the Roswell Cluster are:
» Crabapple Middle School
» Crossroads 2nd Chance North Alternative Special School
» Elkins Pointe Middle School
» Hembree Springs Elementary School
» Mimosa Elementary School
» Mountain Park Elementary School
» Roswell High School
» Roswell North Elementary School
» Sweet Apple Elementary School

Old 01-29-2007, 06:02 PM

563 posts, read 2,773,138 times
The only school I can think of in Roswell that didn't make AYP is Mimosa.

Butttttt, just because a school didn't make AYP doesn't mean it's a bad school.

Make your own judgements--visit www.greatschools.net and www.gaosa.org for test data and analyze it yourself.

I hope this helps!

Old 01-30-2008, 08:44 PM

6 posts, read 15,604 times
I can tell you from experience that Sweet Apple Elementary School is great. We re-located to Roswell 1 yr ago. The transition went well. The school is highly rated and very welcoming. I ditto another comment that there is only one school that I have heard concerns about and that is Mimosa.
Roswell is truly a great place to live!

Old 02-03-2008, 08:46 AM

2,206 posts, read 6,889,338 times
The north-east portion of unincorporated Cobb County has Roswell mailing addresses too, although it is not in Fulton county. (There are some other threads on here that explain this confusing situation well). Anyway, this is something to consider if you liked the Roswell area. The "Roswell" portion of Cobb has lower property taxes than City of Roswell (Fulton County), and excellent schools - Garrison Mill elementary, Mabry middle, Lassiter high.

Old 02-03-2008, 05:40 PM

16,683 posts, read 29,499,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainyRainyDay View Post
The north-east portion of unincorporated Cobb County has Roswell mailing addresses too, although it is not in Fulton county. (There are some other threads on here that explain this confusing situation well). Anyway, this is something to consider if you liked the Roswell area. The "Roswell" portion of Cobb has lower property taxes than City of Roswell (Fulton County), and excellent schools - Garrison Mill elementary, Mabry middle, Lassiter high.
Other schools that serve "Roswell in East Cobb":

Shallowford Falls Elementary
Tritt Elementary
Simpson Middle
Hightower Trail Middle
Pope High

Good Luck.

Old 02-03-2008, 05:46 PM

16,683 posts, read 29,499,000 times
Default Centennial High Cluster

Quote:
Originally Posted by lastminutemom View Post
Ugh. I despise realtors who give school advice without knowing what they are talking about.

There is a range of test scores that you will find in Roswell schools... For example. one school may have a higher percentage of Hispanic students than another.

check out the the Georgia Dept of Education website and click on k-12 report cards...

Schools in the Roswell Cluster are:
» Crabapple Middle School
» Crossroads 2nd Chance North Alternative Special School
» Elkins Pointe Middle School
» Hembree Springs Elementary School
» Mimosa Elementary School
» Mountain Park Elementary School
» Roswell High School
» Roswell North Elementary School
» Sweet Apple Elementary School

The eastern part of Roswell is served by the Centennial High School Cluster:

Schools...

Centennial High
Holcomb Bridge Middle
River Eves Elementary
Esther Jackson Elementary
Hillside Elementary

*Small parts of Northwood Elementary and Haynes Bridge Middle may also serve Roswell.

All of the aforementioned schools are good.

Good Luck.

Old 02-05-2008, 02:51 PM

210 posts, read 748,752 times
As in all areas, there are schools in Roswell that focus more on teaching kids "the test" vs. other things. There are also schools that keep you, as a parent, at arm's length.

Visit the schools yourself, speak to the people inside. Don't just go off test scores.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta