Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2008, 12:23 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,074,740 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rswlguy View Post
Huh? The entire Cobb County population is approximately 700,000 people. Where are the rest of them? If you add up all the major cities in Cobb County (Marietta, Smyrna, Acworth, Kennesaw, Powder Springs) ...that's about 147,000 residents. Combined with your total for NE Cobb of 150,000 that equals 297,000 residents. Where are the rest of the population accounted for? (roughly 379k?) Let me know if you find out? That's a lot of people missing!
Most of Cobb County is suburban but unincorporated. If I may pull out my map of Cobb County again, check out the white areas. Those are all unincorporated areas (only the yellow areas are incorporated cities), and yet most of that area is filled with houses. Houses = people.

http://www.visi.com/~rsteiner/CobbCounty8.GIF (broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2008, 12:26 PM

2,206 posts, read 6,889,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
FWIW, it would surprise me if East Cobb contained much more than 1/3 of the total Cobb County population.
RC, this question was thoroughly explored by GF72 in post #24, just above. Here's a small excerpt from the conclusion:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GF72 View Post
So if East Cobb were to incorporate, the population would be around 100k.... about the same as Sandy Springs and in the top 10 in GA by population, but definitely not the largest.

Old 08-26-2008, 12:28 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,074,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainyRainyDay View Post
RC, this question was thoroughly explored by GF72 in post #24, just above. Here's a small excerpt from the conclusion:
Yeah, I didn't realize there was more to the thread until after I'd posted.

Old 08-26-2008, 08:16 PM

481 posts, read 2,821,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
Yeah, I didn't realize there was more to the thread until after I'd posted.
nice map though, it's good to have a well-labeled county map, considering the official ones don't have unincorporated area labels like East Cobb and Cumberland.

Old 09-13-2008, 12:17 PM

Going back to the article about Milton County, it mentions that if the county were formed it would be the richest in GA and one of the richest in the country.

So I did some research on north Fulton's numbers. Since no one posts numbers on just north Fulton, and since Milton and Johns Creek don't have solid numbers yet, I had to do it by zip codes. So these are the zip codes in north Fulton, with their populations and average household income:

30004 57,435 $99,412 (Milton/Alpharetta)
30005 31,743 $128,363 (Alpharetta/Johns Creek)
30022 66,688 $132,096 (Alpharetta/Johns Creek)
30097 35,730 $136,896 (Johns Creek)
30075 54,324 $115,088 (Roswell)
30076 46,602 $94,006 (Roswell)
30350 37,280 $91,674 (Sandy Springs)
30328 30,045 $113,526 (Sandy Springs)
30327 26,250 $209,354 (Sandy Springs)
30342 30,528 $104,682 (Sandy Springs)

This brings the total population for the area to 416,625 and the average household income to $119,036. (to get the income you can't just average, you have to use percentages).

Some of these zip codes spill over into East Cobb, Buckhead, and Duluth, so the real population is actually about 350,000. It's impossible to know how much the average income would change, but I would say not much or at all, looking at the main spillover zip codes.

According to Forbes (data from US Census Bureau), the three wealthiest counties are all suburbs of DC: Fairfax County, VA, Loudoun County, VA, and Howard County, MD, with median household incomes of $100,318, $99,371, and $94,260 respectively. Only Fairfax has a bigger population than what Milton County would have.

These are median incomes, so I went to US Census Bureau to look up average household incomes, which are:

Loudoun County, VA: $118,442
Fairfax County, VA: $125,213
Howard County, MD: $112,423

So with Milton County at $119,036 it would actually be the second richest county in the country. Of course, the true number will be slightly different because of the zip code spillover, so it might actually the richest. Either way it looks like the article was actually right.

The current richest county in GA is Forsyth with an average household income of $92,472. Fayette is second with almost exactly the same income, though both these counties combined have less population than Milton would. Fulton's is currently about $87,000 and I'm guessing would plummet if Milton was formed. Cobb is about $80,000 and Gwinnett is $76,000. The United States is $65,000.

Old 09-13-2008, 12:28 PM

2,819 posts, read 10,399,983 times
On the radio yesterday AM750 News that Buckhead is now trying to form it's own city so not to be affiliated or tied to Atlanta City. Only issue is another Buckhead incorporated town exists in Georgia.
So, N. Fulton is still trying to be Milton, Buckhead is trying to succeed from the Atlanta union, etc.

So much for all this Atlanta resurgence propaganda.

Think it's time the voters of Fulton and the City of Atlanta try to clean out the house.

Old 09-13-2008, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgia View Post
On the radio yesterday AM750 News that Buckhead is now trying to form it's own city so not to be affiliated or tied to Atlanta City. Only issue is another Buckhead incorporated town exists in Georgia.
So, N. Fulton is still trying to be Milton, Buckhead is trying to succeed from the Atlanta union, etc.

So much for all this Atlanta resurgence propaganda.

Think it's time the voters of Fulton and the City of Atlanta try to clean out the house.
If Buckhead manages to break free of Atlanta before Milton, I'm guessing it would join in on the Milton County bandwagon.

However, Buckhead actually breaking free will be pretty difficult. As for the naming thing... the existing Buckhead is a tiny, poor little town. Maybe all it would take to convince them to change their name is some... donations...

The Buckhead secession was proposed by the Fulton County Taxpayers Foundation in July. The biggest hurdle to overcome would be convincing the people that need to sign on (including the Governor) that Buckhead seceding won't bankrupt Atlanta. However, Buckhead provides almost 50% of the cities taxes, and the GPD is $72 billion, which is higher than most countries, so they'll have a tough time.

Old 09-13-2008, 01:00 PM

72,978 posts, read 62,554,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GF72 View Post
I live in East Cobb and know the demographics of Atlanta well.

Firstly, yes, Cobb's population is around 700k. However, around 70% of Cobb is unincorporated... so if you are wondering where the rest of the population is, after you add up the incorporated cities and East Cobb, well... they are in the rest of unincorporated Cobb. Don't forget that West Cobb, North Cobb, Cumberland, etc are all unincorporated....

As for the population of East Cobb... the entire northeast quadrant of Cobb county, as used in the 2000 census, is around 150k people. However, if East Cobb were to incorporate, it would be much smaller. East Cobb "proper" is basically the Walton, Pope, and Lassiter high school districts, plus a little bit of the Sprayberry district and maybe half of the wheeler district. The population of this area (the area that most actually consider East Cobb) is about 100,000 from the 2000 census (which I got from adding up every sub-segment of the county that falls within the area), and that number hasn't really gone up in the past 8 years, especially not the core part of East Cobb (Johnson Ferry and Roswell Road).

So if East Cobb were to incorporate, the population would be around 100k.... about the same as Sandy Springs and in the top 10 in GA by population, but definitely not the largest.

However, as an East Cobb resident, there is absolutely no legitimate reason to incorporate. East Cobb residents get the best of everything... low taxes, great schools, no municipal taxes, and a county government that does everything just fine. Incorporating would simply introduce a layer of government that simply isn't needed...

If the US Post Office would just give us East Cobb, GA addresses instead of Marietta (or Roswell, for some), I'm pretty sure there would be almost no one left who would want to incorporate. There's really only two things people want in East Cobb - our own addresses and our own census statistics... which could be easily solved if the US Census Bureau just designated East Cobb an official CDP, like Dunwoody is and Sandy Springs used to be.
Here is a better idea: Do what is done in places like Minnesota, Illinois, etc. and simply reduce the powers of county government. Let East Cobb be its own township. County governments get in the way.

Old 09-13-2008, 01:03 PM

16,683 posts, read 29,499,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
Here is a better idea: Do what is done in places like Minnesota, Illinois, etc. and simply reduce the powers of county government. Let East Cobb be its own township. County governments get in the way.
Yep. That's what people don't realize...in Georgia, counties are given too much power (particularly as it affects urban/suburban areas).

Urban/suburban areas are not supposed to be run by counties.

Atlanta should be a network of cities, towns, townships, and villages...with a much-larger city proper.

Old 09-13-2008, 01:27 PM

72,978 posts, read 62,554,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
Yep. That's what people don't realize...in Georgia, counties are given too much power (particularly as it affects urban/suburban areas).

Urban/suburban areas are not supposed to be run by counties.

Atlanta should be a network of cities, towns, townships, and villages...with a much-larger city proper.
I have noticed that county governments tend to be the most corrupt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta