Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2008, 11:28 PM

481 posts, read 2,814,234 times

Advertisements

I haven't been really keeping up with this issue for a long time, but then I saw this article:

Secession in Georgia

Are they really trying to still break away and recreate Milton County?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2008, 02:11 AM

210 posts, read 452,737 times
Short answer: yes, although the issue won't come up for a vote for some time, and will depend on the willingness of the rest of the county to vote in their favor.

Old 08-20-2008, 05:57 AM

3,972 posts, read 12,607,582 times
It isn't just the county actually as it stands today, it is the whole state. Right now, GA constitution caps the number of counties that GA can have at the number we have. So, either the constituion has to be changed or supporters of Milton County have to raise a ton of money to try and get two counties to combine with each other to become one.

Old 08-20-2008, 02:16 PM

1,020 posts, read 2,525,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lastminutemom View Post
It isn't just the county actually as it stands today, it is the whole state. Right now, GA constitution caps the number of counties that GA can have at the number we have. So, either the constituion has to be changed or supporters of Milton County have to raise a ton of money to try and get two counties to combine with each other to become one.
I read one idea where there would be a merging w/ Cobb (as many of the tax codes, populaces, etc. are similar) and another one where it would merge w/ Forsyth. IDK how viable that would be, though. All I know is, doing either of those 3 would make one VERY wealthy county.

Old 08-20-2008, 05:45 PM

606 posts, read 1,998,467 times
Do we not have enough counties already ?

Old 08-20-2008, 10:30 PM

1,020 posts, read 2,525,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt8325 View Post
Yeah, but Fulton's government is sh*tty. I can actually sympathize with them wanting to secede with this cesspool.

Old 08-21-2008, 11:24 AM

481 posts, read 2,814,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runningncircles1 View Post
I read one idea where there would be a merging w/ Cobb (as many of the tax codes, populaces, etc. are similar) and another one where it would merge w/ Forsyth. IDK how viable that would be, though. All I know is, doing either of those 3 would make one VERY wealthy county.
If North Fulton merged with Cobb that would be one huge county. Cobb is well run though, which is exactly what North Fulton wants...

Though I'm not sure if Cobb wants to deal with that though. Although I always though East Cobb was a lot more like north Fulton cities than anything in Cobb...

It would have a lot of advantages for both sides though. North Fulton would have a much better government, and every Cobb statistic would shoot up, from tax revenue to per capita income, plus it would get almost every top Georgia public school that isn't already in Cobb.

Which I didn't really think about... Fulton County would be left with one joke of a school system of North Fulton broke away...

Old 08-21-2008, 11:22 PM

321 posts, read 1,115,954 times
Quote:
What does the number of counties actually HAVE to do with anything? The original county lines in Georgia I believe were drawn along the old plantation lines...

Old 08-22-2008, 02:41 AM

606 posts, read 1,998,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rswlguy View Post
What does the number of counties actually HAVE to do with anything? The original county lines in Georgia I believe were drawn along the old plantation lines...
I'm just curious why Georgia has so many counties. I know Alabama counties are much larger than Georgia counties for some reason.

Old 08-22-2008, 06:46 AM

2,206 posts, read 6,868,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rswlguy View Post
Quote:
I'm just curious why Georgia has so many counties. I know Alabama counties are much larger than Georgia counties for some reason.
Try reading here: GeorgiaInfo - Carl Vinson Institute of Government
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta