Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-20-2008, 10:45 AM

2 posts, read 26,382 times

Advertisements

I'm a 22 year old trying to move to Atlanta, GA from a small town in South Carolina. The reason for my move is because I live with my mom who is not the best person to live with and there is absolutely no opportunity here. There are no jobs within walking distance, I don't have a car, and mom refuses to share hers plus her schedule won't really allow it. I've been to other cities that have public transportation and good jobs and loved it, so I've decided that I want to move to Atlanta permanently. The problem is I don't have any money due to the fact that I have no transportation to get a job so I don't mind coming to Atlanta and starting from scratch because I am a very determined and hard-working person so it wont take me long to get on my feet. So my question is does anyone know of a decent shelter or an extremely cheap hotel, I could occupy until I can establish a residence in Atlanta. I have a 3 year old as well so I want the best for me and him.
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2008, 11:07 AM

7,887 posts, read 17,198,865 times
Sorry to be blunt, but you want to move to a new city and let's see:

- You're 22 years old with a 3 year old child
- You have no job
- You have no car
- You have no money
- You have no place to live
- It appears you know no one in the area

If you want "the best for me and him", do you really think this is the best course of action for you and your son? Please think it over and realize that running away from your problems won't solve them, and you will be putting yourself and your son at risk. It's just my $ .02 from someone who has made mistakes in my own life and learned some hard lessons. Good luck to you.

Old 08-20-2008, 11:39 AM

Location: Originally from Cali relocated to Inman Park/Old 4th Ward/Westside Atlanta
987 posts, read 3,912,688 times
I would highly suggest that you enroll in some type of community college/vocational training center
as close as possible to your current location to pick up skills or a trade or to complete your education which would be extremely helpful for you to obtain a job here. What type of work have you done in South Carolina? What are your current jobs skills and what type of employment are you searching for? If you answer these question the good folks on this forum can quite possibly steer you in the right direction. You also might want to look into the Job Corps www.jobcorps.dol.gov/ and I know their is a job corps center here in Atlanta.

If you want the best for you and your son you should start with obtaining higher education and figure out your plan in life and go from there.

Old 08-20-2008, 12:06 PM

2 posts, read 26,382 times
I have been to Job corps, in Morganfield, Kentucky, I only went to get my GED, but I study auto mechanics for my trade....while in California I attended Westwood college for criminal Justice ( I did not complete), besides that I have done Security, worked with children at a youth center, done remodeling at a Walmart, and warehouse work for Pepsi, I have done other things but those are the only fields i would be interested in rejoining.

Old 08-20-2008, 12:10 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,895,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caramel99 View Post
Well I appreciate your 2 cents, but I just need advice on where I can live....I have moved to Los Angeles(which i believe to be worse than Atlanta) where I obtained a 2 bedroom house, a car, I had 2 jobs and i was going to school(I started from scratch)...I lost it all due to my 3 year olds father..so although it may look like it..I'm not stupid.

So not to be rude, but save your lecture because I've heard it all...I just need some suggestions on where I can start from scratch for the last time, and i do know people in the area, but I choose to do this on my own as I have always been. Thank you again
Well, sorry to "lecture" you, but so far everything I've read in this thread has been helpful advice from folks who actually seem CONCERNED over a young person with a child who wants to come to Atlanta with no money to start over. Solid advice, no "lectures".

You talk about not having a car. You live in L.A. I hate to inform you, but L.A.'s transit system now is actually better than Atlanta's. Any decent place to live that is near the limited rail system will cost $$$ near the rail. Anyplace that is affordable to those starting over are going to be in ghettos where most likely people will be dealing meth or crack outside your apartment door. Atlanta has one of the largest populations of homeless people in the U.S., many with severe mental disorders - so, you could stay in a shelter, but I'd hate to think of what might happen to a young woman and/or her child in one of the shelters in this city.

So to answer your question without "lectures" - I personally can't think of a single safe place for someone with no money, no car, and a 3 year old in Atlanta to "start over". Maybe a church can help - maybe someone in here will privately message you with info on a church that will let you and your child live there free, near a MARTA line, until you get on your feet. It's not likely, but you never know who will read it.

End of lecture.

Old 08-20-2008, 03:28 PM

67 posts, read 272,813 times
Its better for you that I tell you this now rather than you move here and find out for yourself. We already have enough single moms with no income here. The system is tapped out. You will get no sympathy because there just isn't enough left over to go around.

Old 08-20-2008, 04:06 PM

11 posts, read 74,248 times
Caramel99, do yourself a favor. If you come to Atlanta, the first place you need to stop by is Atlanta Workforce Developent. Great start for anyone your age starting over. Atlanta's Mayor at one point thought that getting people working & trained to do things would help to lower crime. Don't know if that's still the theme, but I think it was a good one. If people don't get helped by programs, they go away. So give it a try. You would have to move into Atlanta, not one of the suburbs. That would be Fulton County. I think the website is awfda.org? I can't be certain. But I know they have put a beautiful program together over there. From Summer jobs at 15 for the youth to connections with almost every legitimate institution for higher learning in the state. Plus they have job fairs all the time. Great people if you want to better your life for you and your son. They have training programs(in/outside of the center), job readiness and if you get into one of their programs, they also have free day care for their participants. I can't say that spaces there are guaranteed, but I would give it a try.

They used to provide public transportation tokens, but with the changes to that, I don't know what they do now. Note: Don't listen to nay sayers, honey. Listen to what your motivations are. Some people have kids for all the wrong reasons. i.e., someone is attractive, educated, wealthy or whatever. Whatever your reasons were, you still have the next 16 or 17 years to worry about making a successful,productive citizen. How can you do that with 2 jobs, honey. Kids begin to act out early when they feel insecure. There's homework, PTA meetings, soccer practice, etc. It's not his fault that he's here and he should never feel that way or like he is in the way. Sorry, I am sounding like a mother. My bad. Just don't listen to people who want to put you down! It's too late for those comments, you're trying to rebound from that and move on.

Atlanta also used to have the Urban League. They also offered free office training, data entry and so forth, but I think they do some of their programs at the AWFDA now. I don't know about the place to live thing, maybe they can help you with that too. But if you have no money, how will you pay for it? I can talk to some of the investors /business owners I know. What type are you looking for?

Old 10-20-2008, 10:46 PM

5 posts, read 21,846 times
I can really feel where your coming from. Some times it is good to get away and make a freh start. I have children and it is hard to work and care for them also.But GOD has given me the strength and if you seek him you will see that with him nothing is impossible.You can try to apply for some jobs online and check out some schools because if you have a good education you have a better chance to be successful. Before you leave,think about it and if you feel that its right try to make some plans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: