Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2008, 08:35 PM

77 posts, read 208,489 times

Advertisements

low crime, good schools no segragation! good place to raise a multi racial family dont mind a 30 min commute! looking to buy a home 170k-220k would prefer to stay away from subdivisions like some room between homes more private
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2008, 09:14 PM

606 posts, read 1,998,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hatemiami1170 View Post
low crime, good schools no segragation! good place to raise a multi racial family dont mind a 30 min commute! looking to buy a home 170k-220k would prefer to stay away from subdivisions like some room between homes more private
I doubt you will find any semi-rural areas without any segregation north of atlanta.

Old 08-22-2008, 09:23 PM

321 posts, read 1,116,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt8325 View Post
I doubt you will find any semi-rural areas without any segregation north of atlanta.
Your doubts are over!

I live in NE Cobb County ... although in a small, older subdivision ... we probably have ALL representations of race, religion ... creed and political conviction.

In finding a small home to rent/lease/buy around this area or North Fulton or Gwinnett... that might be the problem. In the northern 'burbs most of the 'stand alone' homes came with a great deal of acreage.

There are always pockets of civilization that are very educated, cultured, accepting and non-segregating in many places outside of the City of Atlanta. You must be very scrupulous on your examining of the demographics of the schools, etc.

My suggestion is to stick to counties that border Fulton County (Cobb, Cherokee, Gwinnett). To the South I am unfamiliar therefore other posters might be of assistance.

Old 08-22-2008, 09:37 PM

7,887 posts, read 17,126,695 times
Quote:
Unfortunately, in general, the further out you go and the more rural, the more poor and segregated...for both black and white. You will find more educated middle and upper middle class folks in the metro Atlanta area with less segregation and more racial "diversity", which usually also translates to better schools and lower crime overall.

In the areas with high crime and bad schools, you find the poor and uneducated, along with illegal aliens as a higher proportion of the population.

Old 08-23-2008, 02:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rswlguy View Post
Your doubts are over!

I live in NE Cobb County ... although in a small, older subdivision ... we probably have ALL representations of race, religion ... creed and political conviction.

In finding a small home to rent/lease/buy around this area or North Fulton or Gwinnett... that might be the problem. In the northern 'burbs most of the 'stand alone' homes came with a great deal of acreage.

There are always pockets of civilization that are very educated, cultured, accepting and non-segregating in many places outside of the City of Atlanta. You must be very scrupulous on your examining of the demographics of the schools, etc.

My suggestion is to stick to counties that border Fulton County (Cobb, Cherokee, Gwinnett). To the South I am unfamiliar therefore other posters might be of assistance.
NE Cobb County is semi-rural ? I find that very hard to believe.

Old 08-23-2008, 03:39 AM

321 posts, read 1,116,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt8325 View Post
NE Cobb County is semi-rural ? I find that very hard to believe.
Nothing here for you to believe or otherwise. Just a statement of facts, perceptions and observation for the OP for their own use.

Old 08-23-2008, 06:21 AM

9,124 posts, read 36,277,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rswlguy View Post
Nothing here for you to believe or otherwise. Just a statement of facts, perceptions and observation for the OP for their own use.
Please help me understand where "NE Cobb" is, and more importantly, where it's semi-rural with homes in the 170-200k range with space between them.

Old 08-23-2008, 08:40 AM

2,206 posts, read 6,868,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
Please help me understand where "NE Cobb" is, and more importantly, where it's semi-rural with homes in the 170-200k range with space between them.
Bob, I guess your first question was slightly facetious, but of course, north-east Cobb County would be the area approximately between Shallowford Falls and Sweat Mountain on the admirable map in this post: //www.city-data.com/forum/3563837-post43.html

I live in this area, which has everything from older subdivisions with pricing around $200K, to new subdivisions in the $800K+ range. There is some housing in this area that would fit OP's price range, barely, I guess.

However, I wouldn't call north-east Cobb "semi-rural". There are little patches of undeveloped land sprinkled about - and it's nice to see them, like the small farm with livestock on Mabry Road - but overall, this is suburbia.

Old 08-23-2008, 08:53 AM

77 posts, read 208,489 times
paulding county or barrow county? how are those areas?

Old 08-23-2008, 06:48 PM

Quote:
paulding county or barrow county? how are those areas?
I'm not familiar with Barrow, but much of Paulding is considered semi-rural, but it's also close to alot of shopping and restaurants. It's a pretty nice area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta