Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2008, 05:52 PM

31 posts, read 105,544 times

Advertisements

Do you have any for the elementary and high schools for cobb schools, eye opening, tks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2008, 12:03 PM

1,178 posts, read 3,835,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
McEachern High is a great school and very diverse. We value diversity in Cobb County. We have kids from all races and many countries!
So you value majority white schools, communities, cities, etc. becoming majority non-white, all over the U.S. and the white western world?

I see. Very anti-white. Very hateful, in my opinion.

Old 08-31-2008, 04:21 PM

2,685 posts, read 6,423,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scraper Enthusiast View Post
So you value majority white schools, communities, cities, etc. becoming majority non-white, all over the U.S. and the white western world?

I see. Very anti-white. Very hateful, in my opinion.
You're not clear in what you're saying here. Are you asking two questions?

Also diversity does not mean anti white, if that's what you are saying. In my opinion, it puts things on a bit fairer scale. Not completely equal, but an entry level of fairness. If any race can afford to put their kids in a great school, great area, or district, why should there be an issue? They did not move to destroy neighborhoods they worked hard to move into, (not always), they value the same things as the people that live there, although from different walks of life, which scare some people. If an Indian, Latino, Black family moves somewhere that's upscale, predominantly white, it's cause they worked hard to get there, and want the same things you and I want for our kids. Nothing wrong with that. I dont think any race for any matter, being educated want to be exposed to or expose their families to bad areas, (be it black, white or latino, asian etc). Those who cannot or dont want to, stay in their lower income neighborhoods. Some try to improve their situations, while even staying in those low income areas. Those who can afford to move up socially, do. Simple as that. I think what is different or unlike you, scares you. Sad...

Old 09-03-2008, 10:42 AM
MB2

3,496 posts, read 9,433,446 times
Default Warning !

This topic is veering into the racial "profiling" and agendas.
Please stay level headed, back on topic and be adults about it, refer to City Data ToS (Terms of Service), rules and guidelines....or I will close this thread.
This thread (or Forum, for that matter!) is not used nor designed to upset people, attack them, or "profile" them in any way, shape or form.

Old 09-07-2008, 02:20 AM

481 posts, read 2,822,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
This I-75/I-85 affluent "V" chart should also include the Peachtree Corners/Norcross, Berkeley Lake, Duluth, Suwanee, and South Forsyth areas (namely, the high schools Norcross, Duluth, Peachtree Ridge, and South Forsyth).

An interesting thing to look at...even though this Northern "V" is now being used to show the concentrations of affluence in Atlanta, the pattern/setttlement of wealth in Atlanta (except for a few outliers of course!) follows the Chattahoochee River. Let's start in the south and travel north along the river:

Cascade
Buckhead
Vinings
Sandy Springs
East Cobb
Roswell
Dunwoody
Peachtree Corners
Johns Creek/Alpharetta
Berkeley Lake
Duluth
South Forsyth
Sugarloaf
Suwanee

Whether an area was developed 80+years ago or within the last decade, most of the wealth in Atlanta concentrates along the Chattahoochee.
You're right about those areas, but I didn't exactly forget them. It's just that for BioChemPhD (who my post was aimed at), I stuck to the areas that are predominantly very high income ($100,000+), and the west Gwinnett areas are a little hit or miss compared to the places I mentioned (most of Duluth's richer areas are now in Johns Creek, excepting Sugarloaf), not to mention they are still developing (Suwanee and South Forsyth especially). Peachtree Ridge has a lot of Asians, but it's not quite as good as the others. Regardless, those are still very nice areas for him to consider.

Good point about the Chattahoochee River. That's kind of a universal thing though, as far as geography is considered nothing tends to raise land value like water. (regardless of how.... brown... our little river might be).

Old 09-07-2008, 02:08 PM

233 posts, read 701,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GF72 View Post
this guy's great

I don't know why you all hate him so much.
I don't hate him. A lot of the points he brings up makes people squirm with guilt. The fact is that not just white America, but the whole of western civilization is flirting with extinction. Most of the social and cultural changes forced upon us the last forty years or so have not been for the better. It's obvious to anyone who wants to take off the Pollyanna glasses and look. The PC crowd is free to make any assumption about me any one of them would care to make.

Old 09-07-2008, 02:45 PM

1,755 posts, read 5,681,397 times
I'm not voting for the SPLOST tax in Cobb this time.

It's for schools but our school population is supposed to top out in 2012. I also don't think giving govt. a tax every time it comes up, responsible. I think Cobb is becoming too dependant on it.

Now if the SPLOST was for transportation, I'd do it.

Old 09-07-2008, 03:41 PM

7,887 posts, read 17,191,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gt6974a View Post
I'm not voting for the SPLOST tax in Cobb this time.

It's for schools but our school population is supposed to top out in 2012. I also don't think giving govt. a tax every time it comes up, responsible. I think Cobb is becoming too dependant on it.

Now if the SPLOST was for transportation, I'd do it.
I am voting for the SPLOST, and having recently moved into the district, I can give you the opposite side of the coin.

Cobb Schools has NO debt. The district has been able to build new schools and keep older schools updated in the face of a large influx of new residents. Without the SPLOST, property taxes would have be raised substantially or bonds would have to be floated, resulting in debt service and eventually higher property taxes. At least with a SPLOST, the burden is shared a bit and property owners don't take on an increasing burden.

In the town in which I lived in the northeast, the school budget was always on the edge, and simple things like purchasing text books or repairing the roof of the high school were major financial issues that required debate and wrangling to get solved. Building the new middle school required years to get approved and funded, and resulted in bonds being sold and paid for over the years by taxpayers. All of that was with a level student population, not one that was increasing by thousands of children a year.

In MA, there is no such thing as a "local option" sales tax, so the only funding methods are property taxes, bonds, or direct grants from the state or feds (which are hard to get). At least here in GA, we have the means at the county level to directly fund schools and their capital projects without hiking property taxes through the roof or going into massive debt. Many people discuss how we should "pay as we go", and I don't disagree, so the SPLOST is the best way to make that happen.

BTW, there is a 1% SPLOST for transportation in Cobb as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta