U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2008, 01:02 PM

937 posts, read 719,063 times

Advertisements

My mom has gotten a job offering from Emory University, and she would like to move fairly close to the campus. What is the area around Emory like? Is it nice, historic, and safe. Or is it crime ridden?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2008, 01:03 PM

3,972 posts, read 11,419,192 times
Nice, historic and safe...

Old 08-24-2008, 01:07 PM

23,120 posts, read 37,221,316 times
IMO the neighborhoods around Emory are some of the best in the metro area.

Druid Hills
Decatur
Toco Hills
Briarvista
LaVista Park
North Decatur
Leafmore Hills/Creek Park
Sagamore Hills
Oak Grove
Northlake

Old 08-24-2008, 01:09 PM

8,862 posts, read 15,457,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAP443 View Post
My mom has gotten a job offering from Emory University, and she would like to move fairly close to the campus. What is the area around Emory like? Is it nice, historic, and safe. Or is it crime ridden?
It is 'very nice', safe and rather historic. The 'Druid Hills' neighborhood is adjacent to Emory University, the City of Decatur, VA Highland/Morningside and Candler Park. 'The Emory Corridor' is now thought to include Chamblee and Tucker/Stone Mountain, I believe. As much as 20 miles.?? An estimate.

The Executive Park/Toco Hill area is convenient to the main campus. Older/renovated homes, condos, apartments and townhomes are available. This is a very safe area and the CLIFF bus/Emory shuttle runs through the area as well as many MARTA routes.

Old 08-24-2008, 01:30 PM

481 posts, read 2,644,621 times
Quote:
The Emory area can be thought of as fairly large, but the immediate area is called Druid Hills. It is a very nice area.... lots of greenery, trees, big old historic homes.

Pricey, too. If you can afford it, definitely go for it...

Old 08-24-2008, 02:10 PM

8,862 posts, read 15,457,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GF72 View Post
The Emory area can be thought of as fairly large, but the immediate area is called Druid Hills. It is a very nice area.... lots of greenery, trees, big old historic homes.

Pricey, too. If you can afford it, definitely go for it...
Druid Hills>>

Druid Hills Neighborhood

Old 08-24-2008, 03:12 PM

1,120 posts, read 2,351,716 times
Quote:

Maybe you've seen the movie, Driving Miss Daisey.

Parts of the movie were filmed at the stately home on Lullwater Road in Druid Hills, and the home is fairly close to the Emory campus.

Not all of the homes, near the Emory campus, are that stately and expensive but the area is indeed very nice.

Old 08-25-2008, 09:23 AM

23,120 posts, read 37,221,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
IMO the neighborhoods around Emory are some of the best in the metro area.

Druid Hills
Decatur
Toco Hills
Briarvista
LaVista Park
North Decatur
Leafmore Hills/Creek Park
Sagamore Hills
Oak Grove
Northlake
Yikes, we talking about Emory and for some reason I omitted the Fulton Co neighborhoods near Emory. My comrades in those neighborhoods will put me in the stocks:

Virginia Highland
Candler Park
Morningside
Inman Park
Lake Claire
Poncey Highland

A lot of Emory personnel live there as well.

Old 08-25-2008, 10:57 AM

1,320 posts, read 3,921,497 times
The entire Emory area is excellent and encompasses a wide range of neighborhoods with widely varying home styles and prices. The Druid Hills neighborhood adjacent to Emory is one of the city's most expensive with many of the single family homes priced well above $1 million. However, there are very reasonably priced homes (some even under $200k) within a couple of miles of the campus as well as a large selection of condos and townhomes in the area. Your mother should have no problem finding a good home in a great neighborhood within a very short drive of the campus.

Old 08-25-2008, 11:12 AM
JPD

12,159 posts, read 15,783,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
Yikes, we talking about Emory and for some reason I omitted the Fulton Co neighborhoods near Emory. My comrades in those neighborhoods will put me in the stocks:

Candler Park

Lake Claire

I don't mean to nit-pick, but aren't those neighborhoods in Dekalb?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta