Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2009, 05:03 PM

2,014 posts, read 5,100,546 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
The comment discussion was about the poorest county (or not). Wealth and home values have to do with that metric. WTF?
I'm aware of that but that's not what I'm talking about. When you stated that you could take a 15 minute drive and see plenty of million dollar homes, mikepayne asked you why would anyone want to do that. You replied by saying "because some of us like living in nice areas with affluent, educated people."

You made it seem as if an area couldnt be nice and full of educated people, unless the area had an abundance of million dollar homes. That's not true and came off as kind of snobbish.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2009, 05:11 PM

2,014 posts, read 5,100,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post
I grew up in rural south Georgia - Sumter County. A mostly agricultural area. Do not, for a minute, think that these good folks are uncultured or uneducated. The only difference is the level of hussle and bustle. There are still small nice museums, local theater, activities, etc. And, just like Atlanta, there is much wealth and much poverty. However, all in all, the people are gentler and kinder to one another than you will find in the metro area. Having lived in Midtown for 20 years, I now spend my weekend in Blue Ridge (north Georgia, Fannin County). The same can be said for the people there. The scenery is simply different. It is unfortunate when folks who live in metro Atlanta - not saying any of the posters here are included in this group - look down on the non-Atlantans of our state.

I think this is one of the better, more realistic comments on this thread.

What startles me is that I see metro Atlantans get highly upset over the snobbish comments and put downs that several people from the Northeast, Chicago or San Fran make about Atlanta ....but then they turn around and behave the same way toward non-Metro Atlanta parts of Georgia.

It's as if everyone in Metro Atlanta is a CEO flying private jets weekly and everyone in non-metro Atlanta parts of Georgia haven't even saw an automobile before unless they somehow ventured to Atlanta.

Last edited by Southern Soul Bro; 12-04-2009 at 05:37 PM..

Old 12-04-2009, 09:07 PM

7,887 posts, read 17,191,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by King_X View Post
You made it seem as if an area couldnt be nice and full of educated people, unless the area had an abundance of million dollar homes. That's not true and came off as kind of snobbish.
Maybe it is snobbish....I'll leave it up to you. The intent was to illustrate the difference in income and affluence between the two areas. If you find snobbishness in that, so be it. I would never live in South Georgia, or any other part of the south outside a big city, and make no apologies for my opinion.

To me, the fact that Atlanta is not very southern any more is a positive, not a negative. I don't say that to be prevocative but just honest. If I could have gotten nicer weather, newer, bigger, and less expensive homes along with lower taxes and less liberalism up north, then I would have much rather stayed up north.

My experience here in Atlanta in the 1980s as a college student was very good, and the hope was to share that with my family. I think once the kids are all in college or beyond, it may be time for a summer home in New England and a winter home in Florida.

Old 12-28-2009, 01:21 AM

594 posts, read 3,436,633 times
The best area I like of georgia is from columbus northward to the north georgia mountains.because once you get to columbus and go a few miles north of columbus thats when you start running into the small mountain regions of georgia where pine mountain georgia is. I do not like south georgia because theres no scenery there to see and its all flat ground. Below are some photos of pine mountain georgia and dowdells knob pine mountains highest point just a few miles north of columbus.

Old 12-28-2009, 03:01 AM

15,859 posts, read 21,438,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southgeorgia View Post
i'll make sure to ask Valdosta State for my money back, since its not a real university.

You can get the level of education you seek from south georgia.

If the north GA education is so much better, why is it that the kids from atlanta seated around me @ VSU read on a middle school level?

I was actually disappointed that so much of my time was wasted listening to the professors repeat information that I learned in middle school in south georgia.

Of course that's not a representation of all north GA education, no more than many of the remarks here describing south GA education.

The entire state is on the same system, so they're all being taught the same things. South GA schools just do it with less money.
What you cited isn't a problem with North Ga education, it's a problem with Valdosta State. It's students are quite literally the bottom of the barrel of Georgia students. I'm surprised that some of the graduates from my high school in North Ga who went there were even at a middle school reading level!

But that's a whole other conversation about the sorry state of university education outside of the big ones in Georgia.

Old 12-28-2009, 01:15 PM

8 posts, read 30,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KEKI View Post
I always hear good things mentioned about better living North of Georgia or North of ATL. Why arent there good things mention about south of Atl or in southern Georgia? I know theres got to be nice areas in other areas of atlanta. Although I think ATL area is a great place, People focus too much on just Atlanta. Is Atlanta the only good city in Georgia? If so tell me where and why. People from the southern parts of ATL and Georgia show some luv and tell some good things about your area.
Your right to much atention is focused on Atlanta, and georgia as a state has way more to offer than the entertainment Mecca of the south. I can start with where I'm from middle Georgia and it a slow moving reigion with alot of outdoor as well as Indoor activities. Macon, Dublin, Warnner Robins ,and Perry are all cities in Middle Georgia that are very worth visiting.

Last edited by CochranGA934; 12-28-2009 at 01:19 PM.. Reason: misspellings

Old 01-01-2010, 03:18 PM

1,517 posts, read 2,319,232 times
How many of you are actually natives of Georgia? I was born in Athens, lived in Madison, and spent my teen years among the Golden Isles. Have you ever been to Jekyll Island? If you want to see history and wealth, go. How about visiting The Cloister on St. Simons Island? Don't talk about Georgia until you have watched the sun set on the golden sand of the Georgia coast. Also, how about the great Okefenokee Swamp. What a magnificent sight to see! A huge city full of people, many of them transplants, does not begin to cover the greatness of our state. Go to North Georgia and visit the waterfalls and hidden coves of the Blue Ridge Mountains, if you want to see something. Atlanta....bah. If you want a large city why don't you move to New York? Atlanta does not have the true heart and soul of a Southern town anymore. And yes growing up I spent some of my summers in Atlanta, but it was not a friendly, hospitable place to be. I couldn't wait to get back to any other place in Georgia. Places where people still speak with a slow drawl and say hi with warm smiles. Try to find that in a large city.

Old 01-01-2010, 03:20 PM

23,466 posts, read 44,083,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smel View Post
How many of you are actually natives of Georgia? I was born in Athens, lived in Madison, and spent my teen years among the Golden Isles. Have you ever been to Jekyll Island? If you want to see history and wealth, go. How about visiting The Cloister on St. Simons Island? Don't talk about Georgia until you have watched the sun set on the golden sand of the Georgia coast. Also, how about the great Okefenokee Swamp. What a magnificent sight to see! A huge city full of people, many of them transplants, does not begin to cover the greatness of our state. Go to North Georgia and visit the waterfalls and hidden coves of the Blue Ridge Mountains, if you want to see something. Atlanta....bah. If you want a large city why don't you move to New York? Atlanta does not have the true heart and soul of a Southern town anymore. And yes growing up I spent some of my summers in Atlanta, but it was not a friendly, hospitable place to be. I couldn't wait to get back to any other place in Georgia. Places where people still speak with a slow drawl and say hi with warm smiles. Try to find that in a large city.
Sorry to correct a fellow native Georgian, but the Cloister is on Sea Island, not St. Simons.

Old 01-01-2010, 04:15 PM

1,517 posts, read 2,319,232 times
Yes, I realized that after I posted. I just get a tiny bit indignant when people from the Atlanta area act like Atlanta is all there is to see in Georgia. I am sure you are not like that, but many Atlantans are. Georgia is such a diverse state, that in order to appreciate it, you must visit all areas. And one of my best friends fathers lives in Clinch County Georgia. To be honest, he owns thousands of acres there. No, he does not live in a million dollar home, but he could. He has figured out that wealth is not about showing off how much you have, but in treasuring the land and your heritage.

Old 01-01-2010, 04:42 PM

3,646 posts, read 5,420,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
Sorry to correct a fellow native Georgian, but the Cloister is on Sea Island, not St. Simons.
It's good to hear from a fellow native Georgia since we seem to be an endangered species in metro Atlanta!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta