U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-03-2008, 01:03 PM

3 posts, read 10,688 times

Advertisements

I am possibly relocating to Georgia, keep your fingers crossed, and was wondering what the commutes are like from the following areas: Lilburn, Tucker, Loganville and Stone Mountain? I have 3 very large dogs, so an acre of property is essential.

I currently live near Baltimore and drive 45 minutes to work, on a perfect day. I'm not afraid of commuting, but don't want to sit in traffic for an hour or more on a "Good Day."

Any information would be greatly appreciated.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2008, 01:09 PM

8,862 posts, read 15,449,945 times
If you are asking about commuting from Tucker, Stone Mt, Loganville and Lilburn to Emory/Clifton Rd/Main Campus you should be able to find a route that would give you a 30-45 minute commute. Timing is the key--lots of people traveling to and from Emory in those areas but some relatively recent roadwork around ?? 316 seems to help. I have heard that the traffic from Lilburn gets rough.

Tucker and Stone Mountain are closer and you might have a 20-30 minute commute from those areas--I don't know if you would find an acre for your dogs.

Old 09-03-2008, 01:22 PM

23,120 posts, read 37,193,425 times
I would rank them as follows:
Tucker
Stone Mtn
Lilburn
Loganville

Of the four, only a drive from Tucker would not involve Hwy 78/Stone Mtn Freeway and N Druid Hills Rd (a nightmare). Getting to Emory from Tucker via LaVista Rd is usually pretty manageable.

Old 09-03-2008, 01:32 PM

So a commute from Stone Mtn, on a good day, is less than an hours drive to Emory University????

Old 09-03-2008, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lutz1964 View Post
So a commute from Stone Mtn, on a good day, is less than an hours drive to Emory University????
Generally, typically and depending on where you are located in Stone Mountain. If you start at the Village of Stone Mountain or the mountain itself you have the option of using Memorial Drive to North Decatur, in addition to the Stone Mt Freeway/78. Posters that travel this route might provide further insight.

Stone Mountain extends to Lithonia and others may have FYI on the route they take.

I don't think you can really go 'Anywhere' in the metro area in less than 30-45 minutes.

Old 09-03-2008, 01:55 PM
JPD

12,159 posts, read 15,776,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeAhike View Post

I don't think you can really go 'Anywhere' in the metro area in less than 30-45 minutes.

I get from Tucker to downtown Atlanta in 30 minutes. 25 on a good day.

If I were going to Emory from my house in Tucker, the most direct route would be to get on 78 at Brockett Road (which is backed up until you get past 285, but it rarely causes a delay of more than a minute or two). From 78, I'd take Lawrenceville Hwy/Scott Boulevard to North Decatur Road, which goes directly to Emory. I don't know how traffic is on N. Decatur in the morning, but it backs up pretty horribly in the evening as you approach the Clairemont Road and Scott Boulevard intersections.

I would think you could get to Emory in 15 or 20 minutes from my house. I live on the side of Tucker that is closest to Emory. Tucker is a pretty large area, so if you lived on the far side of Tucker you'd probably have a different route, and it'd take quite a bit longer.

Old 09-03-2008, 02:00 PM

That's good to know, JPD.

I must pick the wrong times and the wrong routes.
Or live at the crossroads of many other commuters' paths.

OP, I would visit an area at different times of the day and make my own assessments on traffic, taking into account some routes include school zones, especially in the Lilburn area.

Old 09-03-2008, 02:25 PM
JPD

12,159 posts, read 15,776,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeAhike View Post
That's good to know, JPD.

I must pick the wrong times and the wrong routes.
Do you take 78 from Stone Mountain? 78 definitely appears to be backed up for a pretty long way as you approach 285. That's because almost all the cars are trying to merge onto the 285 ramp. I only have to be on 78 for a mile or so before I'm inside of 285, so it works pretty well for me. I can see how it'd be a much tougher ride if I were using 78 for a longer stretch. In the afternoon, traffic usually starts backing up right where I get off the highway.

East Ponce might be an option, but I'll bet it gets congested during rush hour.

Old 09-03-2008, 02:28 PM

Unfortunately, I don't have the option of visiting a bunch of area's as I will need a house BEFORE I move down. I am planning on visiting prior to my move, but I'm not sure that I will be able to visit all area's first thing in the morning and then later in the evening. I am really relying on all of your knowledge, and will pick area's that you suggest aren't a horrible commute. When I say horrible and hour or more is too much. I appreciate all the information, I have been reading other posts regarding area's and have determined there are places I don't want to move, and I haven't even been to Atlanta yet. Very good, open, friendly, honest, information.

Old 09-03-2008, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
Do you take 78 from Stone Mountain? 78 definitely appears to be backed up for a pretty long way as you approach 285. That's because almost all the cars are trying to merge onto the 285 ramp. I only have to be on 78 for a mile or so before I'm inside of 285, so it works pretty well for me. I can see how it'd be a much tougher ride if I were using 78 for a longer stretch. In the afternoon, traffic usually starts backing up right where I get off the highway.

East Ponce might be an option, but I'll bet it gets congested during rush hour.
JPD--

I'm at Briarcliff/N. Druid Hills/Clairmont. Pretty steady traffic all day.

OP--
Search the Tucker/Stone Mountain area if you seriously need to stay under an hour. Off Brockett Rd there are several older subdivisions that have 'good-sized' lots. You might want to look at the area around the Tucker-Norcross Rd.
Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or